More JW bragging about the Landover, MD. convention. Please have barf bag at the ready before reading

by AndDontCallMeShirley 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

ROFL

• Fencing
    Fencing

According to ESPN, the Redskins (who play at FedEx Field) had an average attendance last season of almost 78,000.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Holy Spirit sent directions that needed to be altered and there were still minor problems. What a joke.

Same pattern that the HS uses in developing JW doctrine.

"New Light" = Constant alterations of the orignial directions - only to discover that there are still "minor problems" that will require further "new light".

Doc

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

I cannot help thinking that the holy spirit could better be directed altering the trajectories of bombs\shells falling on innocent children in various parts of the world.

I do not think many JW's actually think about what spirit directed means... if they did they would realise each trivial claim they make only highlights and shames the inaction.

In a strange way it reminds of a Martin Luther King quote... "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." I think many ex-dubs left with similar thoughts in mind.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

M*A*S*H -- well said. Amen.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

While the holy spirit was busy directing traffic in a parking lot, several JWs praying for a miracle cure to their terminal illness passed away leaving family and friends grieving. Others were beaten and persecuted, died accidentally or in natural disasters. Great job picking your battle holy spirit!

• millie210
    millie210

This thread has provided me with some great laughs this morning, thanks!

So, my take:

Subject: International Convention in Landover, Maryland To:

Brothers, Some interesting facts and photos from the International Convention in Landover, Maryland. Truly it was directed by Holy Spirit.On Friday morning it seemed that the parking of all those in attendance would be chaotic at best all weekend. The authorities were poised to take control from the volunteers. But with cooperation and Jehovah's Holy Spirit, adjustments were made in the initial direction. From that point on there were minor issues that were quickly resolved by our brothers in administration and parking. On Sunday Jehovah's people parked an estimated 22,000 cars and 182 chartered buses - the most at any event in FedEx history. We also set another record. The fast ingress and egress of cars and buses in FedEx history. Truly a testimony to Jehovah's name and the direction of His spirit. The cooperation of departments, volunteers and our brothers and sisters coupled with Jehovah's spirit and direction has made an impression on all involved. This is not confidential information. Please share with the brothers and sisters.

Most of what I would have commented on was covered SO much better by all of the pesters above so I will content myself with just the last sentence. The whole email provides a wealth of information about the sender.

He is a congregation bad ass elder. Probably on the service committee or definitely wants to be. Maybe the "secretary" since he values passing on secret info so much. He is eager to be an "inside knowledge" sharer. That ups his legitimacy (and importance) in his own mind.

He probably carries several titles. Not very impressive ones - just titles. "Assistant" to the Assistant Parking Overseer comes to mind as a potential title.

Either that, OR his brother in law is all of the above and forwarded this clown the email!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh but you see, the holy spirit assists "according to gods will"....so clearly, gods will is that every car gets parked so that no one misses out on the "spiritual feast" during the convention!

F~<% me then! It seems that all I need to do to get gods spirit in my life is become a car park attendant at an assembly?!?

And here I was thinking that I had to pray and stuff!......

• Tainted
    Tainted

To confirm what dozy said,

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/26172297/traffic-delays-along-area-roads-for-jehovahs-witness-convention

additionally, there was a fatal accident traffic accident

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/08/01/three-car-collision-creates-delays-on-capital-beltway/

lets be clear, the traffic issues on the beltway and up to the vicinity of the stadium are somewhat different from the parking issues encountered at the stadium. there are a couple of exits off of the beltway that can get you to the stadium. Each leading you into a different entrance to stadium parking. But based on instructions to take a specific route, one may have sat in that beltway traffic to get off on their assigned exit leading to a particular parking area, meanwhile passing another suitable exit from the beltway.

i sat in it for 2 1/2 hrs, because we couldn't grieve Jehovah's "holy spirit" and go against the arrangement by taking another exit right there beside me. I guess Jehovah's Holy Spirit wanted me to miss the 1st half of the convention on Friday.

There was still other issues going on in the parking lot.

then by the time it was time for Friday afternoon announcements, I guess Jehovah's Holy Spirit decided to correct his original instructions and request that people take alternate exits and routes to the stadium parking lot saturday and Sunday.

Dozy said-

the traffic back-up was so bad that the local police got involved and demanded to see the assembly overseer to see what was going on.

this sounds more like it.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

There were actually 58k friday and saturday, about 60k sunday, just for accuracy....

That said, friday a complete and total cluster *****. As one astute comment pointed out, it was a typical work day in DC traffic. There was a major accident (unrelated to jw traffic) on the 495 (the major highway around DC and a manjor feeder route for FedEx field). sat and sunday were much better, as the astute poster noted.... BECAUSE IT WAS A WEEKEND.

lastly, as was noted already, the whole 'fastest ingess and egress' is a totally and utterly unprovable and unquantifiable. Stricktly annicdotly, i go to fedex at least once a year for football games and friday traffic (in and out) was by far worse than anything I have ever experianced. Saturday and Sunday, while they better, were not better ( subjectively of course) than a game day.

Typical JW hyperbole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit