You should meet Brother Smart Engineer

by garyneal 46 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I do not know his specialty but the he works at NASA Langley, by the Air Force base. Yeah, I often wonder myself how these JWs are able to hold to the view that education is harmful and yet have an education at the same time. Another elder at her congregation graduated in pharmaceutical studies. Of course he did this BEFORE he became a witness, how convenient. Even my wife is pursuing her Master's in Teaching from (of all places) Liberty University. The Christian school founded by Jerry Falwell. How do they do it?

Incidentally, this is an excellent seque to my next topic for this board.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

What is with so many NASA engineers joined up with this cult? I thought they would have been a little smarter than the average person, quite enlightening. Thanks guys.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

They're a lot smarter than the average person. But they're not wiser.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

garyneal: I do not know his specialty but the he works at NASA Langley

Just be cause he "works at NASA" it doesn't mean he is a scientist or an engineer.

WIT: What is with so many NASA engineers joined up with this cult?

What other NASA engineers are JWs?

garyneal: this is an excellent seque to my next topic for this board.

I can't wait!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Have you read this thread at all, Oub? Several of us know NASA engineers who are JWs.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

What is with so many NASA engineers joined up with this cult?

Not to get too off topic here, but a NASA engineer once tried to get my brother to join Amway, which is something of a business/financial cult. The young man was convinced he'd be a millionaire "soon." My brother was eventually put off by the similarities between Amway and the JWs and decided to cut his involvement in Amway short.

It could be a coincidence, but maybe you're onto something.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Apognophos: Have you read this thread at all, Oub? Several of us know NASA engineers who are JWs.

Not all of it. I guess I should. Thanks for the snarky reply.

BTW, it's not a requirement for a poster to read an entire thread before they comment on an OP.

UPDATE: Done. Curious factoid.

BTW #2: These people should really be referred to as "engineers that work at NASA." It's not like NASA made them or owns them.

I wonder how many engineers of this caliber are JWs that work for other companies. I would expect that many, but most definitely not all, engineers that work for NASA are aerospace engineers. There are many other types of engineers that could be employed at NASA.

Here are some comments and a brief list by web blogger, Michael L. Murray:

30 Different Types of Engineering Degrees

"Engineering is a broad term that covers a wide range of applications and industries. Combining mathematics, science and technology, engineers produce creative solutions to real world problems. As a result there are many different types of engineering degrees available.

In the past engineering could be divided into four major branches: Mechanical, Chemical, Civil and Electrical with sub branches of each discipline. Today however the number of engineering degrees available have increased dramatically."

• Aerospace Engineering
    • Civil Engineering
    • Mechanical Engineering
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Biomedical Engineering
    • Biomechanical Engineering
    • Petroleum Engineering
    • Chemical Engineering
    • Computer Engineering
    • Environmental Engineering
    • Marine Engineering
    • Architectural Engineering
    • Geological Engineering
    • Industrial Engineering
    • Microelectrical Engineering
    • Nuclear Engineering
    • Engineering Physics
    • Materials Science Engineering
    • Sustainability Engineering
    • Systems Engineering
    • Photonics Engineering
    • Nanotechnology Engineering
    • Automotive Engineering
    • Agricultural Engineering
    • Mining Engineering
    • Robotics Engineering
    • Ceramics Engineering
    • Engineering Management
    • Paper Engineering
    • Metallurgical Engineering
    • Geomatics Engineering
    • Manufacturing Engineering

I bet without too much effort I could think of a quite a few more types of engineers ...

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Invite him over to a Superbowl party. Offer him a beer. If he is witnessing to you, he'll refuse the beer. You are not allowed to preach under the influence. Then you will really know his intentions. If he accepts alchohol, and does preach to you, he must be Irish, or, Scottish.

• prologos
    prologos

The graduate space program engineers that I knew worked for the military, ( werner von Brauns gang) before they became witnesses, worked for the moon program, the Mars explorations.

very thoughtful folks, cautious, well prepared. they were humbled many times.

I would not think any of them would push the present day doctrines on you very hard.

they were a working fraternity, not a top down 'rule and obey' culture. every lonely idea is valued; example:

The moon program started out with Von Braun's dream to build a permanent space station, and then go in stages with another one near the moon. then

one lone Engineer was discovered that said, no, that is expensive. you go with a big rocket and come back with your last diaper,- on a parachute,- leave everything behind.

its cheaper, congress will love it.

try writing your idea to Brooklyn--., or

"help" the elders, even if they need all the help they could get.--

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My father was an engineer for the Department of Defence. . . . a smart guy. That being said, he was/is absolutely CLUELESS with regards to religion, and although he opposed my upbringing as a JW by my mother, he never really posed a good argument against it. He just got angry.

Speaking to him now, he realizes this wasn't ever his strong point. Sure he's great with mathematics and problem solving in the physical world. . . but not so great at critical thinking skills/reasoning through bullshit. I think a lot of engineers are the same way. I call it "engineer brain" . . . . really damn smart with regards to problem solving in the physical world. . . . but that's it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit