You should meet Brother Smart Engineer

by garyneal 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

One's being a NASA engineer doesn't necessarily mean he's extremely smart. At NASA, there are no real overall rocket scientists. There are groups and teams and individuals that are very specialized. Some might specialize in optics, others in materials science (and even a very narrow branch of that). Some might write computer code or design cooling systems. So these guys might have acquired a lot of knowledge in very specialized areas, but that doesn’t mean they are super brains.

Admittedly, one’s being able to get a four-year engineering or science degree does place him in a higher league than almost all JWs and most non-JWs just by virtue of the fact that he can comprehend sophomore calculus when most (including all my family members) have difficulty just manipulating fractions. My parents and sibling couldn’t figure out what 1/2 of 1/3 is.

I had engineering professors who knew their fields, but overall weren’t really that smart. Some knew their fields but lacked the ability to teach even the stuff they knew. To me, one like that is not really smart – at least not in an overall way. Really smart people are smart in general. I mentioned earlier my two organic chemistry professors. They knew chemistry, but, to me, weren’t really smart; I could listen to them talk and tell that.

Most of my exposure to the world of academia has been in math, engineering, and science. It’s only in later years that I acquired an interest in fields such as philosophy and linguistics, and I’ve come to think that maybe, for example, the field of philosophy is one that might require more smarts than engineering and science. It requires excellent comprehension of often abstract concepts, whereas engineering and math are more concrete. If one can comprehend and remember, for example, the basic concepts in physics and he’s decent at math, he should do OK in sophomore physics. However, I think for one to excel in philosophy, he has to be really smart – to have a deep insight and ability to think abstractly.

This topic caught my attention because I get so tired of ignorant people speaking as though certain ones about which they nothing are brilliant. Most people lack the ability to judge whether somebody’s smart. One has to be smart himself to really judge whether another person is smart. I will never forget an incident that occurred over 30 years ago. My mother’s cousin found out that I liked and was good at math. She looked at me and said “Oh that’s great; maybe you should be an accountant.” Some of you might not understand what’s wrong with what she said, but I think others will. Accounting is basically just simple arithmetic, but to her, it was advanced math. There’s nothing wrong with accounting, and I’m sure many accountants are smart people, but the field of accounting does not, in general, involve anything mathematically challenging; it’s mostly just number crunching. That woman has no business judging whether somebody’s smart or what fields require smarts, etc.

Back to the main point of this thread… I just don’t get it. Why would engineer dude be able to explain things any better than anyone else? I had an electrical engineering professor who could not explain electrical engineering, yet this supposed NASA engineer is supposed to automatically be a great explainer of all things Biblical because he’s an engineer who works at NASA??? I don’t think so.

• Magnum
    Magnum

breakfast of champions: Sure he's great with mathematics and problem solving in the physical world. . . but not so great at critical thinking skills/reasoning through bullshit. I think a lot of engineers are the same way. I call it "engineer brain" . . . . really damn smart with regards to problem solving in the physical world. . . . but that's it.

Smart evaluation. Your discernment of what you stated and your ability to explain it, to me, give indication that you're smart.

Your dad is an example of what I was referring to in my posts on this thread. There are certain types of smarts. Some are smart in certain narrow ways. That NASA engineering dude might hava an area of engineering that he's good at, but that doesn't mean he knows much about and/or can explain the Bible and JW theology.

Oubliette: These people should really be referred to as "engineers that work at NASA." It's not like NASA made them or owns them.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing even though I used the term "NASA engineer." Engineers who work at NASA are not necessarily any smarter than those who work for Westinghouse.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Are scientists also engineers? Are engineers scientists?

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

Gary, we have Blondie, Marvin Shilmer, Ray Publisher and BillytheEx, no NASA Engineer is going to win a Bible based argument our super smart members!

• garyneal
    garyneal

Gary, we have Blondie, Marvin Shilmer, Ray Publisher and BillytheEx, no NASA Engineer is going to win a Bible based argument our super smart members!

Agreed.

• prologos
    prologos

it was not aguing that got us to the moon.

engineers are doers, understanding proven science. proving it by doing it. nice guys, an egalitarian fraternity.

they are on the same side as the ones that have proven the bible, wt wrong.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

What does being a smart engineer have to do with individual belief in eternal salvation?

And who makes the assumption that just because a person is a NASA engineer, they have the personal ability to translate the knowledge of GOD'S WORD any better than an uneducated pioneer... or even rocks of the earth (Luke 19:40)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit