"We're calling on your neighbours to promote a website"

by Simon 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just looked up JW.org on 15 different search engines. Everyone of them but google returns only JW.org links in the search results. Google is the only one that gives an exjw site which is JWfacts. And it only gives one link for JWfacts.

Let's hope people use google to look up the address JW.org.

When I very first got on line in early 1999, I looked up the official website for the WTBTS on AOL. I came up with a list that included several ex jw sites, my first time ever to be able to look at "apostate literature." And just like I always knew I would, I looked at it. I read about Ray Franz, his wife and some other couples who had been run out of the org for stupid reasons, that did not include apostate leanings. I set it on the back burner, but thought about it a lot.

It's obvious that the WT folks have made sure that when people type in JW.org, that they don't get results for sites that will expose them as a cult. Wow.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, it's possible that the Society has tried to do that. But keep in mind that Google orders their results largely by what people click on. So if the majority of people who search for "jw.org" click on the actual site in the results, then it will direct Google to place that result higher and higher.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I get that, but I tried 15 search engines other than google and they all do it. That isn't true when I type in other sites or key words into the search.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, but keep in mind that there are a lot of clueless older JWs typing jw.org into search bars instead of into address bars, then clicking on the results that look like the official web site. So, more than for the average web site, the high ratio of clueless users will produce a stronger effect in pushing that domain up to the top above other "related" sites. Still, I'm not ruling out the Society monkeying with SEO somehow to make that happen.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I guess things are different than 1999. Too bad.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What we need is some I.T. savvy people on ex-JW sites who can use their expertise to make sure JW.ORG is not at the head of the list , if thats possible.

smiddy

• 4thgen
    4thgen

I found a tract in my door and then a couple of days later a sister visited me.

"Oh did you see the new tract, it's so wonderful?"

"You mean the one about JW.org?"

"Yes, we're directing everyone to the website."

"I thought Jesus directed everyone to the Bible and God's Kingdom. What happened to that?"

She did a double take on that. I could see her confusion. Then she made an excuse and left. Probably won't be seeing her for a while. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit