Contradictory geneology of Jesus

by rebel8 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So does Mary's lineage get around the Jehoiakim issue??

• smiddy
    smiddy

“Broca’s Brain” and “Cosmos” – those ones were by Carl Sagan.

And wasn`t " Broca`s Brain" the book that took swipe at the jehovahs witness religion , questioning the intelligence of those who followed it .?

Not found in the condensced version , but the full version .

smiddy

• factfinder
    factfinder

Crazyguy-

both Matthew and Luke trace Jesus' geneology back to Shealtiel. The Messiah cannot come from Shealtiel.

Also, God promised David that Messiah will come through his son Solomon. 2 Sam. 7:12-17 and 1 Chron. 22:9,10.

But Luke 3:31 shows Jesus descended from Nathan, Solomon's half brother and not from Solomon.

Thus again, Jesus' geneology disqualifies him from being the Messiah.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember the dubs shaking their heads because Jews didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah, calling them stubborn or something like that. I'm beginning to understand why the Jews didn't accept him! It's so obvious--even the holy book that prophecied about him said he didn't meet the qualifications.

smiddy:

Sagan was from near where I was from, which is why it all sticks out in my mind. wts kept misquoting him. We used to talk about him in the Tuesday book studies, how he really kept talking about proof of creation but arrogantly claimed evolution was true--stupid scientists, blinded by Satan even when the truth is so plainly in front of them! They really had a hard-on for Carl Sagan.

One of my defining moments was when I realized wts had misquoted him all along.

I bet all that misquoting probably irritated him a bit, so yes, he took a swipe back.

"Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions.

But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014.' A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth." But they did not. Instead, they did something much more ingenious.

They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry."

Broca's Brain, Carl Sagan (New York: Ballantine Books, 1979, pp. 332-33)

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

This is a dumb point... the earliest gospel we have ecord of with a geneology is 'the Gsopel of thr Lord' (Pre-luke) written by Marcfion probably... this geneology places Jesus as not one almost... the Matthew (Jewish) gospel written later places Jeus later but note.. they skip 3 generations on purpose

• Splash
    Splash

HowTheBibleWasCreated ... this geneology places Jesus as not one almost...

Could you rephrase this in a way that makes sense?

Splash

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Why can not messiah come from Shealtiel, because he's from Nathan or for another reason?

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Also, Joseph wasn't Jesus' real dad.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Crazyguy- that royal line was cursed by God.

It is addressed at www.whatjewsbelieve.com

Look at the link on the right for Jesus is not the messiah.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Who cares about the geneologies? It is 2014. They are obviously invented to boast. Gospel message does not fall on geneology. This is like the torture stake vs. cross. Who cares?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit