Contradictory geneology of Jesus

by rebel8 30 Replies latest jw friends

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

D'OH!

I sometimes think that iI've never actually THOUGHT about anything my whole life, up to a year or two ago.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I remember the smart @$$ "pioneer" brother who "brought me into the truth", as we used to say.

Whenever anybody tried to tell him that the first five books of the Bible are pure mythology (which was the official position of most, if not all, of the mainstream churches), he used to point this above-mentioned lineage of Jesus Christ, and challenge "Where does the truth cease and the mythology start?" Supposedly a thought stopper!

Bill.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The best thing to do in reality is turn that Smart**s' question around, it should read : " When does the mythology cease and the truth start ?"

If he had really studied the Bible he would find that the bulk of it is fiction.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“rebel8”: “. . . the geneology should trace back to Mary, since she was his bio mom, not Joseph.”

That’s quite a valid point. You would think that would be the case, but it only shows the misogynist Jewish – and thusly WT’s – view of women. I would wonder why Almighty Jehovah would bother “transferring” the life of his only-begotton son, Jesus, into the womb of a particular Jewish woman, thus becoming Jesus’ “biological” mother, and then not consider her family lineage but, rather, her husband Joseph’s. That would certainly seem to lend itself to the usual, typical stretching of the WT’s “headship principle” – all well, it’s just Jesus.

Carl Sagan was quite a smart man. (It’s funny – my long-time elder dad speaks highly of his book, “A Brief History of Time.”) I think Mr. Sagan must have owned some kind of anti-bullshit glasses. He could certainly see through something like the WTS like it was made of the clearest glass.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I found some interesting information about Messiah's geneology at www.whatjewsbelieve.com

For instance, Messiah cannot come through the royal line of Jehoiakim, that line was cursed, yet Jesus was a descendent of Shealtiel.

1 Chron. 3:15-17 and Jeremiah 22: 18, 30. Verse 30 shows no-one from that royal line will sit on David's throne. Thus by his geneology Jesus cannot be Messiah.

There is also information showing Jesus did not descend from Solomon, but the Messiah does.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

I always understood this to be two separate lineages one being Joseph's (legal) and the other, Mary's (biological). One goes back to Abraham the other all the way back to Adam. Throw in some names being left out, some repeated twice and a brother-in-law marriage or two and the contradictions can be worked out. But now I need to shake the indoctrination and do the research... I hold Carl Sagan in high regard, that should raise a red flag in itself.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Stephen Hawking wrote Brief History of Time.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Carl Sagan: one of the brightest minds and greatest communicators ever - I just love his Cosmos series.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Marked

• SAHS
    SAHS

“hamsterbait”: “Stephen Hawking wrote Brief History of Time.”

You’re absolutely right. Stephen Hawking was indeed the one who wrote “A Brief History of Time.” I was actually thinking of the books “Broca’s Brain” and “Cosmos” – those ones were by Carl Sagan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit