why did they have to butcher the kingdom melodies?

by purrpurr 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Magnum
    Magnum

purrpurr:

Wow reading these posts just wow! These are songs that I grew up with and loved! They'd moved me to tears and when sung by a assembly hall full of jw's I used to think I felt the holy spirit amongst us!

And now that illusion is all crumbling...

I know what you mean. It did seem so wholesome and warm and loving when a large group sang those songs. In fact, some of the older, pretty ones still move me to tears as they make me long for the time when it seemed so real... when I thought paradise was near... when I felt so safe and comfortable.

But, now, it's all crumbling to me, too. Sad.

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

Purrpurr- I've had the same exact emotions as you about some of the Kingdom Melodies. I was raised in and involved for 40 + years as a 3rd gen JW serving in many capacities. For reasons similar to yours, I've been away from the org for several years. Some of my favorite old Kingdom songs still move me to tears (and I'm a guy thats not supposed to be emotional like that). I don't think that that's a bad thing... so many of us were in for the right reasons and those songs remind us of that. Jehovah and Jesus still love and respect us for our decisions to leave despite what many of our 'friends' in the org tell us.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Tim Hooper. Thank you for putting the 2 youtubes together for us so we could hear, how WT stole Beethoven's original music. Not funny. Stealing is stealing.

The blonde woman played beautifully.

LL

@Apognophos. I played your 2 tubechops . You are right. More stealing from WT.

LL

@Oubilette. Amazing.

Thank you all for my edification regarding "original" kingdom melodies.

LL

• stillin
    stillin

I had the distinct pleasure of being in a congregation for a few years that had an excellent pianist and the congregation wasn't bashful about singing. I was just beginning to discover myself as a passable voice in a musically exceptional congregation, when BAM! The CO "suggested" that we switch over to the Society's cd's so as to be more "in harmony with the organization.

that was the end of that little source of joy.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

What, just a few years ago?! If I found myself as a believing Witness in a congregation where they were still using a pianist, I'd probably have shouted, "Augh, Russellites!" and run out the door.

• stillin
    stillin

Yes, only a few years ago. The poor sister who was so good on the piano was devastated.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I have decidedly mixed feelings about the "kingdom melodies." Some I loved to sing and listen to. Then there were others ("Not Neglecting the House of Our God", "The Shulammite Maiden" and "Our Paradise Present and Future" readily come to mind) which I found downright nauseating. I have really appreciated the postings of the musicians among us like Oubliette who have cast light on the structure of this music and its roots.

Some have likely commented on this so forgive me if I'm repeating their thoughts as I have not read all the posts to this thread. But it seems to me that a Bach or other court musician from the Baroque or Classical period would never have written music or even been allowed to compose religious music for Jehovah's Witnesses. This is an organization that believes in stifling creativity or masking its originators with anonymous attributions. We don't know who the composers of most of the Witness songs were as the WTS did not believe in crediting them. The claim was that to credit artists for their work was to contribute to "creature worship." I suppose they forgot that David did not hesitate to put his name to the Psalms he wrote or that other writers of different Bible books were named, or that Solomon took credit for his grand building projects during his reign. This is just another example of the cherry-picking which characterizes this execrable cult.

Quendi

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quendi: it seems to me that a Bach or other court musician from the Baroque or Classical period would never have written music or even been allowed to compose religious music for Jehovah's Witnesses. This is an organization that believes in stifling creativity or masking its originators with anonymous attributions.

Actually, you're right on the second point but wrong on the first.

I've personally known and worked with some of the composers that have written music for the WTBTS. The two I know best are exceptionally talented and gifted individuals.

That being said, they were both extremely limited by what they could and couldn't do because the various Bethel bigwigs had to have the final say on many of the creative decisions. The people making this "artistic" decisions were not composers themselves. Ironic? Yes. Surprising? No. It just proves your second point.

One of the most delicious ironies I know, and I posted this before, is this:

One of my favorite apostates and a brilliant composer, Frank Kavelin (aka JWN member DNCall), now has MORE songs in the songbook than he did when he was an elder in "good standing." Frank wrote Make The Truth Your Own, as well as many other of the best music JWs ever heard when in KHs, Circuit Assemblies, District Conventions, etc.

The ONLY time I have ever seen Frank get upset was when I asked him why he wrote the build to the chorus in MTTYO the way he did.(I always thought it wasn't quite right somehow). Man, did he go off on that! The point was that he DIDN'T write it that way, some hack at Bethel changed it and totally wrecked it. Frank was sitting at the piano when I asked this question and he showed me how he REALLY wrote it. Not too surprisingly, it was much better the way Frank wrote it.

Again, proving your point #2.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit