why did they have to butcher the kingdom melodies?

by purrpurr 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Its not like there was anything wrong with them was there? I used to love the old ones. These new ones feel like the equivalent of a deflated balloon.

Does anyone have the answer?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

One reason stated in their letter was that the new songs would be easier to sing. However, I actually find some of them more difficult to sing. An unstated reason was definitely to modernize some of the old wording and fix awkward phrases. I'm not sure if there was a deeper purpose than that.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Your right they suck so bad. They maybe coming out with a new song book all the new songs will be the same ,"listen obey do what your told obey obey obey and maybe we will bless you maybe but don't get your hopes up."

• CaptainSchmideo
  • prologos
    prologos

perhaps it is the personal tastes and dark sides of Governing Body members? dark, negative sides that like sombre, flat, minor melodies? easy to sing, play? with up to 7 change symbols for the notes?

musical Government mebers? try David Splane,

the Mickey Spillane jw of music.

it is training in obedience, if you sing the ugly song, you will commit the ugly deed.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I really liked the old kingdom melodies too. This new gb has to ruin everything and change everything because now THEY are in charge.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Mickey Spillane WAS a JW....

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They just sound like any other Christian music now.

• metatron
    metatron

There is widespread recognition of how awful this songbook is, although most Witlesses are too polite to say so openly.

The songs are boring, pedantic, and uninspiring.

metatron

• compound complex
    compound complex

Blondie referred elsewhere to the songbook containing 4-part harmony. That was the little pink one, which I worked on at Bethel, late '60s. It was perfect in all respects, IMHO. Then came the brown book, where the songs were written in pianistic style. A totally different approach, though the tunes remained virtually intact.

Those songs were vigorous, melodic, some very heartfelt. As a composer and musician, I liked both books, yet the former was preferable with its bare-bones format, which could more readily be improvised upon. Perfectly suited for delineating between the 4 voices. The latter was not so good for singing to. Again, IMHO.

I will not comment on the new version . . .

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit