I had a Tarot card reading

by LisaRose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

So, I am in Washinton state visiting my son and his family and we went to a concert that had a fortune tellers booth, actually a gypsy wagon. I decided to do something no JW would ever do, have a tarot card reading. I wasn't really expecting anything, as I don't believe they are connected with the Satan, but I don't believe they can actually read your future either.

So, I was quite surprised at how accurate it was. I told the woman nothing about me or my life, I just wanted to see what came up.

The cards indicated:

I was well off financially (true)

I was in a powerful love relationship (married to my soul mate who found me after 28 years apart)

That I try to meditate but the love relationship makes it difficult to meditate enough sometimes. (We spend so much time together it's sometimes hard to get alone time)

That I do many, many different types of creative endeavors (true, I have a business, I do collage, jewelry, antiques, sewing, florals)

That I am struggling with my business (true, almost ready to give it up, but thinking of moving it online)

That I will push through this struggle and be successful, that card (the cups) came up twice. (I hope so)

She suggested that when I am doing my artistic endeavours I take meditation breaths and listen to music, and that this will be my meditation, she had some addition suggestions to get myself back in balance.

So, has anyone else had a tarot reading, if so, what was the result.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's amazing how good cold readers with a box a tricks cards can be.........

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I feel like I just had a reading. All that applies to me as well (not the specifics you gave, but the generalities of what the reader gave you).

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

LisaRose I had a tarot card reading but it was vague.

However when I was doing all my research into life after death and reading books on NDEs and OBEs I visited several mediums.

Among other things, they told me my mother's name;

My husbands's name;

My husband's exact height;

My daughter's name;

The fact that my husband had a birth defect in his hand;

My job;

Events in my childhood;

That there were religious disputes in my family with people not talking to one another!;

That we have friends in New Zealand;

There was nothing vague, they didn't ask any questions and they told me specific facts like names. It was very interesting research.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Of course any intuitive person could make guesses based on observation of the subject, their dress, age, sex, demeanor, etc., and be right more often than not. And no matter what cards turn up, they could be interpreted different ways, and the person getting the reading can influence what the interpretation is by how they respond, so I was expecting that, but it went beyond what I was expecting.

Still, it was a fun experience, and she had some suggestion I thought would actually work for me, handling negative thoughts that come up and things like that. I am not saying I believe in it, but I certainly got my $5 worth, it was certainly better advise than I ever got from an elder.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I may try it. I have never had a successful cold reading performed on me. I can smell a scammer a mile away. Also, why does everyone blame Satan? What did he ever do, except try to free humans from a life of servitude??

DD

• Violia
    Violia

I have had varied experiences with readers. I read for myself and have occ exchanged brief readings online with other students of tarot ( for learning only ). Some were very accurate some were not. I seldom use the tarot any more but it can be helpful for personal growth.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

However when I was doing all my research into life after death and reading books on NDEs and OBEs I visited several mediums.

Among other things, they told me...

I'm curious, Xanthippe, did you also visit any mediums who gave you incorrect information? How did you arrange to meet these mediums who were accurate (I'm wondering how much they knew about you in advance)?

My boss had something like an astrological reading done, where he was told the time of day (as a half-hour block) in which he was born, based on math performed on dates that he gave to the man, like when he was married. He didn't know it was correct until he asked his mother later about his time of birth. My boss is not religious or spiritual, but found that experience remarkable.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm curious, Xanthippe, did you also visit any mediums who gave you incorrect information? How did you arrange to meet these mediums who were accurate (I'm wondering how much they knew about you in advance)? - Apog

Two were in local pubs. One was advertised on a board outside and the other was in the local paper. I just walked in on the night, no appointments. One was at a Quaker Meeting Hall in the city and I just walked in on the night.

Did any give me incorrect information? Yes at the Quaker place the medium told me about someone who was very significant in my childhood who had a built-up shoe. Although I remember people who had built-up shoes, mainly because they had polio as children, I couldn't remember anyone significant.

Years later after my mother had died I was taking my dad to the hospital for his glaucoma test when he told me he had been born with a club foot and had worn a built-up shoe as a child until the foot was corrected. It was the first I had heard about it, he was seventy-four.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

" I feel like I just had a reading. All that applies to me as well (not the specifics you gave, but the generalities of what the reader gave you)." - One

Cold reading is a technique used by mentalists and fortune tellers, psychics, and mediums to determine details about another person in order to convince them that the reader knows a great deal more about a subject than he or she actually does. Even without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by carefully analyzing the person’s body language, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.

Hot reading is the use of foreknowledge when giving a “psychic” reading in stage magic performances. The reader can gather information about the sitter (person getting the reading) through a variety of means, such as research or overhearing a conversation. Hot reading is commonly practiced in conjunction with cold reading (where no foreknowledge is available) and can explain how a psychic reader can get a specific claimed “hit” of accurate information.

Ismael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit