What's the story behind Adam and Eve and fig leaves.

by jam 41 Replies latest social family

• jam
    jam

Phizzy: LOL. You got a point, now that would be embarrassing...

• Maranatha
    Maranatha

Saved_JW has it spot on. Adam and Eve covered themselves because they felt ashamed at what they had done. They deliberately disobeyed God and now wanted to hide from Him. Stop looking at the physical side of this and look at the spiritual side. It is symbolic of guilt, shame, hiding one's sins. They even tried hiding from God when He walked in the Garden.

If Genesis is all rubbish to you people then why not run around naked? Why are you wearing clothes? Just curious.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-characters/adam-and-eve/why-were-eves-eyes-not-opened-until-adam-ate/

It is not a sin for married couples to see each other naked, or for parents to see their young children naked(i.e bathing, changing diapers, etc.). It is a sin for others to see you naked outside the bonds of marriage (read the Levitical laws, Ham seeing Noah naked, etc.). This is because it corelates to "sins of the flesh, lusts of the eyes". If Adam and Eve had not fallen, we would probably still be naked, for we would still be perfect, without shame.

Hebrews 4:13 shows us that nothing is hidden from God for we are all "naked" before Him. He knows our hearts and minds.

JW's and many of you former JW's don't understand the spiritual side of things because the Watchtower refused to tell you about such things. Does not the Watchtower teach that man has no spirit that becomes separate from the body at death? Read 1 Samuel 28.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Hebrews 4:13 shows us that nothing is hidden from God for we are all "naked" before Him.

Unless we hide behind a tree.

• prologos
    prologos

Marantha, yeah all naked, everywhere, because we would also have perfect climate, palms, figs at the poles,- again-, right?

• vendetta
    vendetta

whats wrong with sex?

Satan had sex with Eve an God had sex with Mary (virgin Mary, that is)

• sir82
    sir82

If Genesis is all rubbish to you people then why not run around naked? Why are you wearing clothes?

I fall on my knees and thank GOD above that clothing is worn, after a typical visit to a Kingdom Hall.

• vendetta
    vendetta

JW are so obsessed with clothing and how short ,how tight ,how long,cleavage.ect.

I think they are a bunch or pervs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ask a rabbi.

• kaik
    kaik

Maranatha.. almost all tribal societies were naked in the warm areas, they did not know concept of shame and sin. This is a Christian concept. However, for us living in the northern hemisphere with winter sometimes reaching up to -25F, the possibility to be naked is unrealistic. However, many European societies do not have a problem with nudism. You can go this time anywhere in Central and Northern Europe in public places where they allow nudity like you can see in English Garden in Munich where there are in hot summer weekends thousands of naked sunbathers. Many European pools allow and often encourage top off for women and ban trunks/shorts for men.

However, concept of sin through Adam is unknown in Judaism; therefore, your correlation and reasoning influenced by crazy puritans centuries after the Genesis was compiled does not make a sense. 19th century puritans also thought that it was sinfull for women to show forearm or ankle and they destroyed precious ancient, renaissance, and baroque art through their own personal version of extreme puritanism. So if you want to be really literal on biblical nonsense, do you wrap yourself from head to toe with sheet so you do not get tempted..

Answeringenesis is a site maintained by crazy evangelical fasicsts who should be kept in mental institution and medicated daily.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

If you're saying that Jews considered nudity to be acceptable, then I disagree. I think the whole concept of a negative attitude towards sex and nudity developed amongst the Jews and was carried into Christianity, where it influenced later groups like the Puritans. Keep in mind the accounts where Ham is shamed for seeing his father naked, and the requirement that priests wear underwear so nobody can see up their robes as they climb the steps to the temple.

But besides those, I think the Garden of Eden account speaks for itself when A&E become ashamed of their nudity after ceasing to be child-like and innocent. The account is directly telling us that nudity is something inappropriate for adults because its connection to sex creates sinful thoughts. It seems that the answer in jgnat's link agrees with this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit