for those still "in" what's the mood

by lastchance 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• Clambake
    Clambake

This Saturday there was two cars in the parking lot in a congregation of 80 or so publishers. I really have no idea how we are supposedly all getting an average of 9 hours a month. I don’t even know how the pioneers are doing it. I know one has leached on to someone unemployed loser and they just hang out all day. I think the ones with children are just using family study night as a write off.

To the single and childless people in the cong, man it has to be tough.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Our cong is very zealous all the elders, about 13, are pioneering for the special activity and they are zealed up to the boots. They have annoucements about FS groups every meeting, we have an announcement on Thurs about the final number pioneering.

The Announcement about the big announcement case, just like the meeting to arrange a meeting. Total nonsense...I am looking forward to this special month as I am turning 41 and feeling 21 again, yipee. 16th Aug special day.

We also have a London ex JW meetup on the 23rd Aug, when the International RC is on at Twickers. Exciting month ahead.

Kate xx

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

The mood in my hall is mainly tired but hanging on. There are a few zealots that don't really have a life outside their zealotry, but most are moving to the middle if not past the middle to a more liberal view of life as a JW.

I spoke to a young couple a few months ago that were seriously debating about having a child with the "end" so close. I told them to live their life. Then I added that the WT told my parents in 1968 to not start a career in this system because the end would come too soon to ever finish it. My parents are almost 70 now. They looked at me dumbfounded.

Well she is now pregnant.

I am still spreading my "you just have to take all this with a grain of salt" gospel when I talk to frustrated dubs. It seems to work well. Each individual will read between the lines as much as they're ready for. I can spin out of it easily if confronted.

People are really worn out from all the "special activity". Things become less special when it feels like every other week there's a new campaign or whatever. This JW.org campaign for August is falling a bit flat. People aren't rushing to sign auxillary slips.

I look forward to seeing how the dubs look back on this 2014 year. I don't think it will be the pivotal year in people's minds like the WT is trying to make it. The desperation of the org seeps through regardless of how much they try to spin it. The lack of real substance is hard to deny as well.

-TE

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

TE- It may well be a pivotal year, just not in the way that most expect. With any luck it'll mark the beginning of a significant decline as the manufactured excitement wears off and people realize that there's been 100 years of nothing.

As for my congregation, there's a few zealots, but they're all either very old (70s or 80s) or their immigrants who found JWdom upon coming to the states, and would otherwise be somewhat lost and on their own without it. No one cares about doctrine unless they can spin it to manipulate someone into doing what they want. I'm not anywhere near the center of the social scene, but I don't think there's much spiritual discussion...

I've noticed a pretty significant drop off in meeting attendence in the last year or so too.

• MysticMage
    MysticMage

I only stay around for a couple of friends.

Screw going out in service full time. I have money to make.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Heh, nice counsel, TTATTelder. As for my congregation, they're one of the zealous ones, tons of pioneering, record meeting attendance, ear-to-ear smiles.

I think a lot of the variation between Halls is just a matter of, "Does the congregation like each other?" If they don't get along well then they aren't inclined to want to go in service with each other, see each other at the meetings, etc. This is a congregation with a lot of friendships.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This Saturday there was two cars in the parking lot in a congregation of 80 or so publishers. I really have no idea how we are supposedly all getting an average of 9 hours a month.

Most of those hours are spent at McDonalds or Starbucks.

Even the most zealous ones are just riding around counting "windshield time".

Doc

• whathappened
    whathappened

Doc...in our area it is Dunkin Donuts. Every Saturday morning it is full of Witnesses, there is no place to sit down. They come in mini vans so they don't really have to make many calls.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

"windshield time" time LOL, they really are a group of pathetic losers arent they?

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

Hi, I live in a area-region where more emphasis is placed on the pseudo growth, stories of angels in Field Service and Busy-Work to keep Witnesses minds of their true problems in life and how broke they will be when they retire! You want some from the Elders side of the equation and Elder's wives? I can share more but it's only going to depress you how sad they are!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit