Silence after stating my confusion about "144,000"

by tidalblitz 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tidalblitz
    tidalblitz

The other night, I was told about a question that a friend's bible study had asked them. The bible study asked: "If Jesus is perfect, why does he need the 144,000 to help him rule?" This friend does not know how to answer this question. I was asked what I thought. I said that I don't think Jesus needs the 144,000, per se. Only that that is a reward for the 144,000 for being faithful.

After relaying this answer, I went on to mention what I've always thought never made any sense. The 144,000 anointed get the reward (heavenly) that they do only because they were born early. It has nothing to do with how faithful they were or what they did. It's only because they were born early. I myself, and millions of other JW, do not get this reward because we were born too late. This never made sense to me, nor did it seem particularly fair. There is nothing I can do. I was born late and it doesn't matter how much faith I have or whatever else. This concept of 2 different rewards based on the arbitrary criteria of when I was born always seemed stupid to me.

Anyway, after I mentioned this little tidbit, all I get is silence and a wierd look. End of the conversation. It's soo frustrating not being able to have an honest and open dialogue about these things. How is anyone supposed to work these things out if you can't express yourself?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

tidalblitz:

That is the point: you cannot express yourselves with JWs.

Also, I think the JWs are in love with the idea that some people are "special" and this is why they are so in love with titles and labels because they want to think they are special.

Me, personally: I do not care about these "rewards" and long ago (even while I was still in the religion) stopped analyzing it.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You're not supposed to work it out. You're supposed to smile and nod like a good little drone, that way when you finally can't stand it anymore and you can't hold in all your complaints about everything that doesn't make sense, it all explodes out of you to anyone who'll listen. Now you neatly fit into the "mentally diseased" appostate category, because no normal person would go off like that.

• sir82
    sir82

It's soo frustrating not being able to have an honest and open dialogue about these things. How is anyone supposed to work these things out if you can't express yourself?

In JW-world, "meekness" is one of the finest character traits someone can have.

In JW-world, "meekness" is considered a synonym for "teachableness". Shut up, I know that isn't a word, just work with me for a bit.

In JW-world, a "teachable" person is "someone who just shuts up and accepts everything the teacher says".

If you aren't "teachable, you aren't "the 3 H's" - honest, humble and hungry. Yes, I know "hungry" makes no sense in this list - just work with me, OK?

So, by expressing yourself, you have exposed yourself as dishonest, arrogant, and satiated. In JW-world, that means they should leave you alone.

Simple isn't it? This is all Bible-based.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Jesus needs them to help with all the murdering at armageddon. He probably doesn't want to get his hands dirty. He's also got a sword coming out if his mouth like a circus act so he has to tread carefully in case of an accident.

It's a good question though tidalblitz. There's also the question of why jw's take 144000 literally when everything else in revelation is figurative.

Like Sir82 said the JW theology is sit down and shut up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OneEyedJoe - "You're not supposed to work it out. You're supposed to smile and nod like a good little drone, that way when you finally can't stand it anymore and you can't hold in all your complaints about everything that don't make sense, it all explodes out of you to anyone who'll listen. Now you neatly fit into the 'mentally diseased' apostate category, because no normal person would go off like that."

That...

...actually makes a freaky kind of sense, from the WTS's POV.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

It's guff.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The verse they use to imply this teaching is at rev.5:10, but when you looks at the scripture in the original Greek use you Greek interlinear you'll see that the word kings does not exist nor do they rule over the earth but reign on the earth only as priest's. Also if you look at the verse before this one verse 9 its describing the great crowd not just the 144k. You can compare chapter 7:9 to show this. This is another blatant example were they apply scriptures to benefit themselves. This scripture used at rev.5:10 is referencing the scripture in Duet.were the writter is saying that the nation of Israel is to become a kingdom of priests a holy nation.

• tidalblitz
    tidalblitz

It amazes me how I never thought critically about the teachings and doctrines before. Like a lot of born-ins, you just accept. The indoctrination of young ones is disturbing. I even got baptized without even really wanting to.. it was what everyone else was doing, so why not?

It makes me truly afraid that people can believe 100% that JW is the one true religion without even analyzing what is being taught, much less even knowing what is taught.

For myself, I've boiled down the JW faith into one simple question (or two) with a YES/NO answer: Do you believe the Governing Body is God's sole channel for bible truth.

-If you answer YES, then you accept everything lock, stock, and barrel. If YES, what scriptural evidence do you or did you use to convince yourself of that?

-If the answer is NO, then why are you letting these men control how you think?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You should be ok, because you weren't debating, or opposing the doctine, or offering a different doctrine, just expressing your feelings about it. The silence is a good thing. If you ever get silence, the best thing to do is shut up and let them think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit