The Memorial- Passing the emblems, a prime display of weirdness

by Darth Fader The Sequel 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Not sure if this bothered other people, but it absolutely drove me CRAZY!!!!

OK, typical annual Memorial. The emblems are being passed around. The number one thing on people's minds at that moment is "Oh dear gawd, please don't let me or my child be the one to spill anything!" The number two thing on people's mind is "I wonder what bat-shit crazy person is here tonight that is going to partake? Is it Brother Never Attends? Could it be Sister Crazy Cat Lady? Maybe it will be young elder, Brother My Poo Don't Stink?"

So, the emblems get passed all around to those seated. Then the teams of brothers doing the passing go to the ones standing in the back of the hall or in the lobby or wherever. This is when my frustration begins........... They insist on having each and every human being in the hall touch and hold the plate or wine glass. Not just have the opportunity to reach out and take the emblem if they are so moved. No, THEY HAVE TO ALL HOLD IT MOMENTARILY!!! As if the momentary touching and holding of the plate or wine glass is somehow a "Holy" experience. The 4 year old kid with ADHD gets to hold it. The 90 year old sister with Parkinson's get to hold it (barely). The father standing in back with the wriggling and writhing bronco toddler has to hold it. The middle-aged sister with enough pharmaceuticals pumping through her system to kill a race horse gets to hold it. EVERYBODY HAS TO HOLD THE EMBLEMS!!!! Making the entire procession longer than it needs to be and for no other reason than pomp and circumstance. Surely, anyone who was actually already decided that they were to partake would have made sure they got the *opportunity* to partake, which is all the Memorial emblems practice is supposed to be, an *opportunity* for the select extremely few.

But then......... if you thought the whole procession could not get anymore weird and ridiculous........ they take it to an all new level of WEIRDNESS!!!!! Yes, the very same brothers that spent the last 10 minutes passing out the emblems to a few hundred people must then go sit down in their reserved chairs in the front row of the hall and some other brother stands up and offers THEM the emblems to clutch and hold and fondle for absolutely no reason (like some sort of bizarre reverse Musical Chairs game). As if the only way that one who is moved to partake is if they are in a sitting position (or standing in the back because the joint is dangerously overfilled with people who are only there to please their mothers) and having someone else hand them the emblem.

And for the grand finale of weirdness, the brother standing on stage having given the Memorial talk and is mere inches away from the table with the emblems sitting on it must then have one of the brothers come up on stage and ceremoniously hand the emblems to the brother, he holds for two beats (looking down at the emblem with a fake serious look on his face as if he is considering it) and then hands it back to the other brother who then sets the emblems back down on the table immediately adjacent to the podium.

To me this entire charade is as if the JW's, who claim to be no part of Christendom and religiosity, decided that one night per year we can all be Catholic with the silly procedures, the pious ceremony, the phony traditions. The only thing we are missing is the funny hats and the pot belching out smoke. The whole thing has made me nauseous since I was old enough to understand what the hell was going on.

Instead of focusing (I put that in for you, Focus) on spending time grasping the emotions of Jesus and the sacrifice and all the momentous things that surrounded this that makes the Memorial important to us........... they turned it into a religious ceremony. Not only that but at this year's Memorial, the talk was basically devoid of ANY reference to Jesus at all. All we heard was about Jehovah and "the organization", the "kingdom". Nothing about Jesus.

Phony, Fake. Charade. Fraud. Joke.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

the very same brothers that spent the last 10 minutes passing out the emblems to a few hundred people must then go sit down in their reserved chairs in the front row of the hall and some other brother stands up and offers THEM the emblems to clutch and hold and fondle for absolutely no reason

Too funny! This was always the part that drove me crazy as well. The "Professional Passers" have already handled the plate and glass countless times...but it didn't count. Apparently, Jesus is a bear for detail and will not be happy if these brothers simply set the plate and glass down and walk away.

Ironically, Jesus is the one who condemned the Pharisees for arguing minutiae, like how far up the arm one should wash to be clean: to the elbow? above the elbow? The JW Memorial rules are no different.

As much as JWs like to think they are free of religious traditions and nonsensical rituals of "Babylon"/Christendom, the truth is they are as mired down in tradition, empty ritual and childish superstition (Think Sparlock) as much as the next person.

• Focus
    Focus

Micturating into wine glass is hard to accomplish unnoticed; however, a small vial of urine is easy to add... as long as your accomplice utters a loud "Hail Mary" from the rear at the same time, nothing will be noticed.

Now, having some feces to smear on the bottom of the plate, that's even better.

After all, we know the anointed are full of sh!t, so this is simply a fulfillment of things promised.

__

Focus

("Keeping the Congo Clean" Class)

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Exactly correct, ADCMS! Pharisaical busy work is what consumes so much of the JW life. I am convinced that the people who clamor for this sort of pomp and ceremony can be broken down to personality types. There are just a whole lot of human beings who relish the religiosity, no matter which actual religion they happen to choose or fall into. They feel secure in the structure of it. They like the rules and the titles and the ceremonies. They do not have their faith built within their spine. Rather, their faith is a structure built around and over them.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Now come on, Focus......... let's not get gross about this.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

A brother I have known my entire life and I am very fond of must have given the Memorial talk 15 times that I was there for. Great guy. I loved his move when he was up on stage and the dopey brother passing the emblems invariably made the move to walk up and ritualistically hand the speaker the emblem........... he would just put his hand up at arm's length, mouth the words "No, thank you" and gesture for the brother to put it back on the table. Very cool move. I have always respected him for that.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well described, thanks for the laugh.

In all fairness, if one of the passers actually was going to partake, it would be hard to break and eat a cracker while standing with the plate, and rather distracting and silly-looking. So for that reason it's better to have the emblems passed to them while seated.

Likewise if the speaker is going to partake (a common occurrence since some anointed brothers are routinely asked to give the Memorial talk each year, though I haven't seen it myself), he would probably feel better having someone offer it to him rather than going over to the table and helping himself like some kind of an emblem bandit.

--------------

Focus, please get help for your Tourette's.

• Magnum
    Magnum

OMG! I can't believe it! I have had the EXACT same feelings for many years. I was embarassed to invite anybody of reasonable intelligence to the Memorial because of the things you mentioned.

number one thing on people's minds at that moment is "Oh dear gawd, please don't let me or my child be the one to spill anything!" The number two thing on people's mind is "I wonder what bat-shit crazy person is here tonight that is going to partake?

Those actually were the first and second things on my mind.

They insist on having each and every human being in the hall touch and hold the plate or wine glass.

I always thought that was so strange & weird. When I gave the Memorial talk and they offered me the emblems, I just shook my head "no" in a firm and dignified manner and didn't lean toward or reach toward the emblems in any way. I didn't even look at them. The last year I went, I was standing in the back. When the servers offered me the emblems, I had my arms folded and I just shook my head indicating "no".

As if the momentary touching and holding of the plate or wine glass is somehow a "Holy" experience.

Yeah, like you gotta have hands on the cup or plate or you're gonna incur the wrath of the Sovereign or you won't get credit for being there.

JWs can't/don't think for themselves; they just follow the crowd. They think "well, since everybody else is touching the cup & dish, I guess I'm supposed to."

It's ironic that JWs think they have discernment; they're the blind ones. I think it's people like us who can recoginize what you mentioned in the OP who are really the ones who have discernment and can "see" and recognize truth.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

You got it, Magnum. Creepy, goofy, weirdness. No other way to say it.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Apognophos- if "we" are supposed to be imitating what happened the night that jesus did this with the apostles, doesn't it seem reasonable to think that the only reason the emblems were passed around the table as described in the bible was exactly because it was a table they were sitting around and all in attendance, the apostles, were told to partake?

If the speaker giving the Memorial talk is a partaker, how easy would it be for him to take two steps sideways and do the deed? No ritual needed. (I do like your "emblem bandit" comment).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit