convinced 95% of all active jw's don't have a clue as to where 1914 originates

by goingthruthemotions 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

So talking with my wife last night...i was explaining to her about a conversation i had with a person at work about end times. he has a strange belief that some scriptures in Isaiah perdict something huge is going to happen in september of 2015. she then states that no one can predict the future only the father knows and he is in a cult. LOL on the inside.

I then stated "what about 1914 and the dubs perdiction and what it means today" she said no there was never any predictions. I then told her about the predicted Gentile time. Again she looked at me like a deer in the head lights.

I told her obisiouly she doesn't know anything about the basic doctrine of what she thinks she believes. She said " i believe were in end times and to serve Jehovah and have a relationship with Jesus"

I told her that if you ever have a study and try to teach them about what you believe you are blood guilty for mis-informing them. than I told her I don't want to talk about it anymore...because i don't want to argue. I have better and more real things to argue about.

Keep in mind she is a born in to the JW's.....she has no clue she was baptized to the ORG and not Jesus or Jehovah.

Hence my comment i am convince current JW's have no clue what they should believe or what the real doctrine is....if they did i think the exodus would be quicker.

GTTM

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, there's definitely a great number that are in just because they were indoctrinated young, and now it's just all they know. Myself, I always knew where 1914 came from, at least to a general extent, but the problem was that I knew from such a young age that I was convinced of it before I had any critical thinking skills. The fact that my relatively intelligent parents were so gung ho told me that I could trust the WT, so I didn't look into it too much. The fact that WWI broke out in 1914 just confirmed in my mind that however the date was arrived at, it must have been correct. Once I realized that I'd been lied to, I looked at it with fresh eyes and realized how absurd it was.

I think most JWs would immediately reject any form of numerology, especially as applied to the bible. They don't realize that the most important doctrine in their religion is derived through the same BS techniques of other numerologists.

• Focus
    Focus
    convinced 95% of all active jw's don't have a clue as to where 1914 originates

99.9% would also be correct.

It originated when the 1873 and 1874 scam predictions failed to deliver, and a 40 inch extension was required.

It also marked not the beginning, but "the very end of the time of troubles".

Yep, I'm quoting the Watchtower itself.

__

Focus

("1799" Class)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

she said no there was never any predictions

LOL

"In the coming 26 years [1914/1915] , all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved." (C.T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 98-99, 1889)

"In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the kingdom of God, will be accomplished by the end of A.D. 1914." (The Time Is At Hand, 1902 edition, p. 99)

"We see no reason for changing the figures--nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. We see no reason for changing from our opinion expressed in the view presented in the Watch Tower of January 15, '92. We advise that it be read again."
    --Watchtower 7/15/1894, p.1677

So it was in this harvest also up to A.D. 1878 the time prophecies and the fact of the Lord's presence.... but the same fact and scriptures, teaching the same time and presence, stand unchallenged and incontrovertible. (The Time Is At Hand; 1889; 1915 ed.; p. 236)

"We have no doubt whatever in regard to the chronology relating to the dates of 1874, 1914, 1918, and 1925..." W 5-15-1922

"This chronology is not of man, but of God. Being of divine origin and divinely corroborated, present-truth chronology stands in a class by itself, absolutely and unqualifiedly correct...." (Watchtower, July 15, 1922 p. 217)

After 40 decades of wolfing about 1914 and a 100% failure of all that WT said would transpire in that year, it waffled with this astonishing statement:

"We did not say positively that this would be the year."
    --Watchtower 11/1/1914, p.5565

The plain truth of the matter is most JWs know nothing of their religion or the basis for their beliefs because they don't have to. As a JW, your only job is to obey the GB and believe what they tell you to believe. Why study? If a JW discovers evidence that contradicts what the GB teaches, they have no freedom to dissent or question it.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Focus, you're absolutely right. The true origin of the date is completely unknown to essentially everyone in the cult. The current teaching of how they get to 1914 is somewhat more known, but still only by a small minority.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Focus: i also found the same information, it was an eye opener.

One eyed joe: i tried to explain about the 1914 dates being devised the numerology. how the practice of numerology is occult.....she then state: " i don't believe they came up with those numbers using numerology" again i told her " you obiously have not done deep research on what you are suspose to believe".

I take small jabs and leave the conversation hanging. trying to give her food for thought.

like sunday the speaker was talking about creation and how jehovah created everything. I told her, doesn't the new testament say Jesus created everything? yet the speaker never mentioned jesus. little jabs.

GTTM

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

99.9% of JWs also are completely oblivious to the fact that the 1914 date and its chronology wasn't even invented by Russell. At best, he plagarized the entire concept from the Adventists and William Miller and stapled the WT label on it.

• designs
    designs

predict prediction

• Londo111
    Londo111

Old-school JWs know. But even among them, as well the newer generation of JWs, all the razzle dazzle about the “deep things” seems to have a brain-numbing effect. It dazes them and they will say, “All that is over my head. I’m just not smart enough.” And they won’t test the teaching because they don’t get it.

At best, if asked, many JWs will use the ‘cut and paste’ method. They will cut and paste from Watchtower publications, without having a clue what the articles are actually saying. They can't explain their own beliefs on their own.

For any JWs reading this who want to make an examination:

A video series on 607: http://www.jwlove.org/607bc

A video series on 1914: http://www.jwlove.org/1914ad/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppAJou7ioY0&index=12&list=PLyNx0oM_bmgARlo4tOu8p5ffLCVztc0Yb

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This sort of topic is such a great way to try and wake up the masses!

Start by saying things like "you know how our dear brothers on the governing body have often encouraged us to really take the time to study our older publications? Well, I did that, and after years of exhaustive research, I found the following disturbing things!"....

Then provide simple one or two line quotes (just as ADCMS did above) to prove 'your' own findings!

Trust me, I've done it, and it leaves them speechless...as you have ONLY used society quotes to condemn themselves! No apostate stuff...just their own writings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit