Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,” says it does not cause “lasting harm”

by chrisuk 320 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jgnat
    jgnat

All cultures, across spectrum, all religions, have a morality to prevent harm.

• Simon
    Simon

All cultures, across spectrum, all religions, have a morality to prevent harm.

Actually, while most cultures do the reality is that some don't ... there was human sacrifice in some cultures for instance and other barbarism.

Also, many religions promote harm of others from genital mutilation of children to killing of non-believers and one of the largest religions in the world is still based on the belief that a human sacrifice can save others.

• Simon
    Simon

For anyone who believes that 'God' defines good or bad I give you this challenge:

"If your god declared that pedophilia was OK or even mandatory ... then do you honestly believe that it would then be good and something to be celebrated?"

If you answer yes then I suggest that you are nothing but a cult-indoctrinated sicko.

If you answer no then I suggest that you are a fake adherant to a belief system you know is bogus.

If you won't answer then at least you have the smarts to realize your beliefs and arguments make no sense and are an embarrassment.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

djs said

You haven't been paying attention. We have repeatedly shared empirical data illustrating that the more secular and atheistic a state, region or nation is, the more functional it is in almost every manner. Pick a dysfunciton, whether its gun play, homicide, divorce, drugs, smoking, alcohol abuse, car wrecks, spouse abuse, lack of education, low IQs - and they are more prevalent among religious states, regions and nations. There are strong correlations between atheism and:

1. The happiest countries in the world

2. The smartest (highest IQs) countries in the world

3. The most functional societies in the world

4. The most educated societies in the world

We have said this over and over, including sharing very good empirical data. And yet you spew that without your god - and left to atheists - we will go to hell in a handbasket. NOTHING could be further from the data.

this is not true and is plainly ideology and very undisguised at that. But fair enough if this is your opinion and if it is a particular view you want to hold. I won't even ask for your evidence though

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

indeed Simon what do you think of DJS' assertions?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

objective morality - there is no such thing

edit: racking my brains about which country/region you are describing djs - even one atheistic secular country - Russia? China?

• DJS
    DJS

Ruby,

We have referenced this data before; it is widely available, and it comes from many sources. You can keep your head up your nether regiions and refuse to believe it if you wish. You clearly don't want the facts to confuse you. Being decent and ethical hasn't a thing to do with religion or a god. Nor should it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Simon, OK, I'll modify my statement, "by degrees". Who or what is included under "do no harm" varies by culture. For some, it is within the immediate tribe. For others (such as Jainism in India), the "do no harm" extends to all creatures, including insects.

Also, as you noted, other religious prohibitions or taboos can result in extreme behavior, such as mothers shunning their children. The mother tells herself it is for her child's "own good". There's some serious mental gymnastics going on there for her to override her natural instincs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gee, am I invisible? There's a group of scientists who have been looking for moral commonalities across cultures, and they have found them! Objective morality. I've mentioned so in my last four posts on this thread.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I agree focus - no probs here

jgnat

Gee, am I invisible? There's a group of scientists who have been looking for moral commonalities across cultures, and they have found them! Objective morality. I've mentioned so in my last four posts on this thread.

commonalties doesn't make them objective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit