Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,” says it does not cause “lasting harm”

by chrisuk 320 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll modify my statement further, a religious or ideological prohibition or taboo can result in extreme behavior. The ideology of Communism, accepting collateral damage in the short-term for a promised utopia, has led to mass starvation and other horrid consequences. And where is the promised utopia?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

jgnat but that is true of any ideology I think. wouldn't you agree? Like Focus I think all appeals to morality are subjective

• Focus
    Focus

Ruby456, let's see if you can find the sole exception (or rather, class of exceptions) to the rule you have just stated.

__

Focus

("Sherlock" Class)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ruby, there's a set of moral foundations that all of humanity has in common. Sixth time stated. How it is expressed varies by culture, but they are all there. Besides "do no harm", we also share a sanctity/degradation instinct for instance. We all recoil in disgust at some things.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I don't know what you mean sherlock but I'll have a guess anyway bearing in my mind your previous post on this thread

to

• Focus
    Focus

there's a set of moral foundations that all of humanity has in common. Sixth time stated. How it is expressed varies by culture, but they are all there. Besides "do no harm", we also share a sanctity/degradation instinct for instance. We all recoil in disgust at some things.

You sure about what you just wrote, jgnat?

Consider:

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Pascal did write that - of this I am sure (cf. his "wager", which is either a phoney or a joke by him; a physicist, mathematician and inventor of his calibre could not have made such a logical triple blunder - as I too am all three, I am better placed than most to judge).

I know you have, earlier in this thread, referred to extreme behavior because of religious (etc.) fanaticism. But what you wrote later appeared to be uncaveated.

So, given that the brainwashed jW is programmed to view the Universe from the WTS's idiotic stance, it would not:

recoil in disgust

from anything as long as it was authoritatively told that the thing was Jehovah-ordained.

The clearest example is the oft-repeated positive looking forward to and rejoicing in the slaughter - painful too, skin peeling off and "fowls of the air" pecking the not-quite-dead-yet corpses - of 99.9% of humanity, including usually many loved ones of the jW.

I could add more:

Kiddie-murder over blood insanity?

Collusion in the spiritual-rape of one's own mother?

Huge pain due to shunning?

Boosting pedophilia via the two-witnesses rule?

and on, almost endlessly.

Not a good choice by you to refute Ruby456's proposition, IMO.

My exception remains unfound, it seems.

__

Focus

("Many parts" Class)

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious convicti

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

jgnat

disgust is socially mediated and normative and changes

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

okay "may parts" how bout - all

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am beginning to sound like a shrieking midwife, so I'll stop. It's not all socially mediated.

http://www.moralfoundations.org/

I retreat to silence. Continue, children.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

lets agree to disagree jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit