Is this a new "This Generation" or not?

by Doug Mason 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

cofty you conveniently missed the other bit of. He did come back for them as he promised them, they were fully waiting expecting him and he did

• Ding
    Ding

The WTS handling of "this generation" reminds me of a magician who is constantly pulling rabbits out of his hat and birds out of his sleeves.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Doug, I noticed this too. It seemed a little odd but then they went into the overlap mumbojumbo. It almost seems like they prefaced the overlap with the 1927/2008 understanding. Perhaps this will make it easier to switch back again when necessary.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The "anointed" bit was introduced in w1/15 p. 27-31 pars. 15,16:

15 In his detailed prophecy about the conclusion of this system of things, Jesus said: “This generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen.” (Read Matthew 24:33-35.) We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” Jesus was referring to two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in 1914, and they readily discerned the sign of Christ’s presence in that year. Those who made up this group were not merely alive in 1914, but they were spirit-anointed as sons of God in or before that year.—Rom. 8:14-17.

16 The second group included in “this generation” are anointed contemporaries of the first group. They were not simply alive during the lifetime of those in the first group, but they were anointed with holy spirit during the time that those of the first group were still on earth. Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke. Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years. Yet, Jesus’ words at Matthew 24:34 give us confidence that at least some of “this generation will by no means pass away” before seeing the start of the great tribulation. This should add to our conviction that little time remains before the King of God’s Kingdom acts to destroy the wicked and usher in a righteous new world.—2 Pet. 3:13.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

There are THREE GROUPS, not two.

This Overlapping Generation teaching is really complete nonsense.

I was trying to wrap my head around the latest "update" to it in a recent WT Study article; not to try and understand it--because, hey, it's nonsense--but to make clear to any lurkers how silly and implausible it all is. - Watchtower, January 15, 2014, p. 30-31, paragraphs 14 - 16.

Here's my take on it:

OG 2.0

So, apparently, there are now three groups of "anointed" ones:

1. Those anointed before 1914
    2. Those anointed after 1914, but before the death of the last of those in group #1.
    3. Those anointed after the death of the last person in group #1. (See point #2 above)

Although not mentioned in the article, the key person in this concept is Frederick William Franz. Born in 1893, Franz was baptized in 1913 or 1914, making him part of the first group. He is also presumably the last person of the first group to die. Franz died on December 22, 1992.

According to this week's WT, the first two groups comprise the "this generation" that Jesus mentioned at Matthew 24:34, albeit in an "overlapping" manner. The third group is explicitly NOT part of "this generation."

The implication is that the newest member to the GB, Mark Sanderson, is categorically NOT a member of the "second part" of the "overlapping generation." It is not likely that he began partaking until AFTER Fred Franz died.

This is, I believe, the reason why this week's WT came up with the third group of "anointed ones."

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.- WT, January 15, 2014, p. 31, paragraph 16

Classic cult damage control to explain away Marky-Mark.

Careful readers of this week's study article will note that it contained so scriptural references or evidence of any kind to support this new twist on the "Overlapping Generation" idea. It is all just unfounded assertion.

But hey, who needs evidence when you're the leaders of a cult.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Jesus was referring to two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in 1914, and they readily discerned the sign of Christ’s presence in that year. Those who made up this group were not merely alive in 1914, but they were spirit-anointed as sons of God in or before that year.

Absolutely amazing. No way in hell ANYBODY could remotely come up with this understanding by reading the Bible alone. At least the 1914 generation would not die off before the end came was sellable to people. (I'm guilty)

Let me see if I got this right. The JW's under Charles Russell thought the 1914 end was first going to come in 1874, then when 1914 didn't come in 1914 it was changed to come in 1925. Jesus actually did come in 1914 but he was invisable. The "OT Prophets" forgot to come in 1925 even after Joseph Rutherford built them a manson in San Diego, CA. Then inspired by Freddie Franz 1975 was going to be the real end because this generation of Rutherford's millions who would never die was up, and it was the end of the 6,000 year creative day. Then there must have been an unaccounted time between Adam's creation and Eve's creation which would extend the end to come before the end of the 20th century. Now, 100 years after 1914 came, this modern-day band of morons Governing Body teaches an over-lapping generation that could extend the end to yet another 50 years while still believing that the end is coming any second now.

I would love for a JW lurking right now and reading this forum to post and say this religion is utter bullshit and they are not wasting another day of their lives beliving these bat-shit crazy doctrines.

• AlphaMan
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

As far as I know, Jesus' hand-picked disciples are neither the FDS or part of "this generation", although it matters not to a JW. Doctrine is the least of their concerns. They worship the ORG and the GB.

DD

Yes they were part of that generation in which Messiah was talking about. Some of them standing right in front of him 2000 years ago would still be alive when he returned in his KIngdom how plain is that

http://youtu.be/RVmngkU3-b0 part 1

http://youtu.be/TNpN1REhumQ part 2

http://youtu.be/24seO37Q8KQ

how to know when the second coming of Christ was according to Jesus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit