17 year old son is blaming me for ruining his life from the Cult. He's complaining "I could have been a high school sports star!"

by PhilsWager2 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

" I could have been a high school sports star !"

Having 2 son's myself and having grown up as a JW I understand how you and your Son feel;

I was asked to be on the High School swim team (my non JW Dad was well known for his swimming in his home town) however my JW Mom wouldn't hear of it. According to her all knowing Watchtower magazine, I might get into drugs or immorality if I was on the swimming team.

Much to the criticism of the congregation and eye rolling on the part of JW relatives, We allowed our boys to be on the wrestling team, Lacrosse team and one of them was a swimmer. They were both easy boys to raise and other than being very untidy, they were a parents dream.

Being on these teams helped them immensely in terms of being more outgoing, facing difficult tasks and sticking with things and they just had a lot of fun. We also let them go to the prom and one of them was the Homecoming King. The elders knew better than to say a word to me about any of this. One of my Son's is still attending the meetings (barely) but on his own has picked up on TTATT and the other one stuck with it until about 22 and then a few things happened in the Hall made him hang it up when we did.

Having said all that, they at one time or another when they were going through a difficult time or in a low mood or feeling that they weren't were they wanted to be in life, indicated that because of our religion, they sort of missed out on a normal childhood in terms of not getting to date and go to parties or stay at other non JW kids houses or go places with them. I found myself feeling a bit guilty or wondering if I could have done more for them. Then I realize that if we want to talk about could have beens , they also could have been in a car accident while out with friends, or had a pregnant girlfriend, or gotten hooked on drugs or any number of negative things, if we'd have given them any more freedom than we did.

I warn them in so many words, not to go down that road with me and remind them that there are lots of other weird religions out there that they could have grown up in and negligent unfit parents out there who's kids have a right to complain about their childhoods, but you two had the best of both worlds. Yes we went to all the meetings and out in service and didn't celebrate holidays etc but we tried to give you a balanced upbringing unlike the ones we had as strict JW's. Your Mom and I didn't just provide you with the minimum the law expects, we went above and beyond, giving you tropical vacations, took you snowboarding regularly, braces on your teeth, a clean home and delicious meals, bicycles, a car and mostly our undivided attention and love. That sort of brought them to their senses and got them off the pity wagon and back on the road to taking charge of their lives.

Your Son may just be feeling badly about his own limitations right now or what he views as personal failings and may be looking for someone other than himself to blame it on. It's good to let him get it out of his system but totally buying into the idea that your being a JW was the single factor in him not being a "star" is allowing him to use blame as an obstacle to moving forward. Remind him that you are the parent and what he thinks of your choices of religion is all very interesting but the bottom line is, as a parent it was your choice to make. Yes, maybe he could have been a "sports star" but he could also have ruined his knees or been in a debilitating sports accident. I wouldn't buy into the idea that this is your fault, rather I'd ask him how his life would be really be that much better or different even if he was a "star". Was it missing the fun of playing sports that he regrets or is it that he wanted the adulation of others. If so, why? I'm assuming that no one stopped him from being on the debate team or from being on the honor roll....who does he blame for not being part of that ? (I'm assuming he wasn't) Rather than allowing him to dwell on what could have been, I'd direct the conversation to formulating a Plan B. He's only 17 after all.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Even though the witnesses say that you should prove the truth to yourself, or whatever, many people don't because they don't feel the need to prove it to themselves. The indoctrination is so cemented into their minds already that it is the "truth", that many people do not even begin to question anything until they see bad conduct that directly contradicts with what should be in "Jehovah's organization". I think this is especially true if you grew up a JW.

Also, it sounds like your son has very black and white thinking right now, which is carry-over from the JWs. That's the only way they think. Hopefully, with some time and distance from the borg, he will see that not ALL of the JWs are bad, and not everything is either good or evil. I would tell him that if he really wants to distance himself from what the JWs have taught him, he will have to let go of the black and white thinking.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

You really can't blame the kid for being angry. But please remind him that he has his whole life ahead of him and that statistically speaking he would have never gone pro unless he was almost superhuman all through high school and college (sad, but true).

I blamed mom for about 1 day then got over it and went on with my life and family of course.

One thing to keep in mind though, and for anyone else who will find themselves in the same position of facing angry children; it is our responsibility as parents to thoroughly investigate any organization prior to joining it and dragging them along.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Anger is a normal stage of grief.

Acknowledge his feelings, apologize and help him reset his perceptions. 17 years old is a great time to build a life worth living, and he has plenty of time to do it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Jeezus, he's still a frickin' teenager.

He's got literelly decades to make something of himself.

• PhilsWager2
    PhilsWager2

Do any of you regret deeply as Peter mentioned not getting to join High School sports if you were allowed to even attend school? Peter did not say he deeply regret's not being on a High School sports team, we both have something in common, I was a great diver and could beat the fastest kid on the team. I have regrets, I went up against the number two weight class in Wrestling and pinned him in two minutes. Also without taking Roids, my bench was a legal 320 for the 168 weight class, another brother had the High School record and blew away everyone in the state by benching over 400lbs, the elders were pissed off!

I might be off a few things on my past "Glory Days, the'll pass you bye, Glory Days!" The Boss has a song so true, all the things we could have been or were. Watch "It's Always Sunny in Philly" High School Reunion and see if it reminds you have how shitty kids could be in high school!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I regret it. I was one hell of an athlete. I could go toe to toe with any one of my peers in gym class. These were guys on the teams. I was just a country boy who was not allowed to be on the team, but I could have been. Everyone always wondered why I wasn't.

There will always be a "what if" in my mind. Even so, I have a child that I love more than anything else. Would they exist if I had made different choices? I don't know? It's weird to think about what you "could have" been.

Had I entered "BUDS" and become Navy Seal, ( which I trained for ) I could be dead right now. I just have to move ahead from "here" and "now." I can't go back, and wishing to is simply insane and counter-productive.

DD

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I want to clarify that even though I think it's a good idea to apologize ONCE for the errors and omissions we made as JW parents, I DON'T mean grovel. I also explained that I would have given my eye teeth if either of my parents would have had the humility to tell me they were sorry for their serious mistakes. That being said......

Had my daughter not immediately accepted that I was motivated by love, had her best interests at heart, and was under B.I.T.E. control, I would have reminded her that she is NOW free to pursue the skills and talents she has, take responsibility for her life, and and drop the attitude.

• PhilsWager2
    PhilsWager2

3rd Gen I totally agree with you, I did apologize but how could we have known if all us were under the spell of the Watchtower?

Data-dog, when I was 17 I headed over to the Navy recruiting center, one guy in a small office asking if I could join because I wanted to be a Seal. I got declined because my eyes had problems, this officer was all fired up when I said "I wanna kill them Commie bastards!", he almost had a orgasm. My friend left the Watchtower, joined the Navy and ended up for eight months at the South Pole after sitting in South Korea and Japan for eight years. He touched the pole, said it was boring as hell there!

• violias
    violias
    My very adult children still say this stuff to me, but I just tell them there was an excellent chance they would have been raised in some religion- since we live in the Bible Belt. It could have been Church of Christ or Pentecostals or Baptists- the most common religions around here. They would have been mad no matter what. They hate religion and have not raised their children with any religious beliefs or spirituality and surprisingly their kids regret this. Parents are always going to make mistakes, you just do the best you can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit