reading COC for the first time

by This is my tigersuit 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• This is my tigersuit
  • This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

we are in the middle of our awakening and im on page page 192 of COC and im filled with a mix of emotions. its a roller-coaster of emotions! how could they do this to my people? have i really been lied to all this time? ugghhh....idk i guess i need some encouragement right now...anyone else went thru this?

• oppostate
    oppostate

@Timt

My first reaction when reading CoC was shock and disbelief, but it settled in that I'd been wrong and had ignored so many warnings from family who aren't JWs and they'd been right all along about the "cultish" behavior of the WT religion.

What really did it for me was learning about the double standards, Malawi/Mexico, and the unnecessary suffering people in Malawi went through for following this Publishing Corporation as if it was God's Channel on Earth as they claimed.

Also the treatment of Ed Dunlap made the situation very personal. It exposed the lack of Christian love and fellow feeling among the Bethel bigshots and their blindly following hierarchy.

Continue reading, Timt, and please post your reactions as you progress reading the book. I'd be interested in comparing insights.

• This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

thanks for responding oppostate! yes, the part about malawi-particularly the rape of sisters really really hurt me deeply, having a wife of my own. its almost an unbearable thought. and for what?! a stupid party card. yes i'll try to post my thoughts as i go thru. its kind of funny im here at this point now, when just a few months ago i was an elder giving talks and etc :(

• Vintagewife
    Vintagewife

I just ordered a copy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

You will discover the true apostates are the eight men

who call themselves the "Governing Body"

Reading Crisis of Conscience is having the veil fall from your eyes.

Its like being knocked off your horse and struck blind on the road to Damascus.

• This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

haha i like that analogy! im hurting though. my entire "reality"- the only reality ive EVER known is crumbling. men who i regarded as "heros" are no longer so. this is the only "truth" ive ever known. life is going to get interesting really quick here i have a feeling

• happy@last
    happy@last

I read it a few years ago and recognised so much of what was written it startled me also, it's almost like having a blindfold removed when you see the WTBS for what it really is. Never stop asking questions. Enjoy your journey.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome This is my tigersuit, Has your wife expressed any doubts to you about the WTBTS? Does she love you more than the WTBTS?

If she hasn't expressed any strong doubts to you and/or loves the WTBTS more than you, I hope that you do not tell her about your feelings until you have carefully planned how to. Some ex-JWs told their spouses and their marriages ended in divorce. Learn how to help her to critically think for herself so that her authentic persona can overcome the WTBTS's Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotional (BITE) control techniques.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Welcome! You are not alone because most of us have been through the same thing. My husband and I both read COC and it woke us up. We both cried when we read what they did to the ones in Malawi and many other stories. I would also recommend you read JWfacts.com to get even more information. It is a roller coaster ride and it will get better with time. You will find a lot of help here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit