Goodbye JW net

by snare&racket 60 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Forgive me for indulging in a goodbye but it would feel wrong not to,

I have much to say thank you for and too many to thank here. I hope the discussions and atmosphere here do not change for it is a bubbling brew of doubt, bravery and sincere hunger for answers. These are healthy ingrediants for humans and especially for a Jehovah's Witness.

This forum offers not just the ability to ask without consequence, but it also offers the means to be REAL. As a JW I would lie and say I questioned everything, I would lie and say I became a JW of my own volition, I would lie and say there were no contradictions, no unanswered questions and no doubt in my mind. The consequences of saying otherwise or thinking otherwise were too high..... here they are not.

I called it 'The Truth' all the while not being allowed, or allowing myself to hear anything from anyone that said otherwise. Not a smart way to live, think or experience the world. I received ALL my information on life desicions, politics, history, religion, science, morals.... from ONE source. The very same source telling me they were right, they were chosen by god, they had the answers. All the mistakes they make were not mistakes but an increase of light... with no answers when old light became new light which once more became old light..... and yet I never dared question..

That was until I bought a phone with WAP internet access (The nokia Matrix Phone...no less). I searched and found the Net Soup Watchtower News page that had links to here. I was a full time pioneer and on my way to bethel when I saw that people had the same questions as me. THAT is the power of this forum.... you realise you are not alone.

I came back here many times and eventually registered (diff account) when I left for university. I arrived at this forum as a believer in god, the bible, I thought evolution was a joke (I mocked my first evolution lecture)...and I was starting to examine other religions such as Islam.

I have been wrong before, so I am hesistant to announce my current stance as 'The Truth', but never have I felt so comfortable with the side of the fence i stand.

I strongly suggest people read the following books, but feel free to come to any conclusion you wish. these were my introduction to atheism, evolution and bible history. The first book is specific to the JW's written by an ex governing body member.

• Crisi of Conscience by Ray Franz
    • The Lost Christianities by B Ehrman
    • Who Wrote The Bible? R Friedman
    • God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
    • The God Delusion by Prof Dawkins
    • The Greatest Show on Earth by Prof Dawkins
    • A Universe from Nothing by L Krauss

These books may not give you all your answers, but they will give you questions and they will provide data. Don't take yourself out of the equation for figuring life out. You are as worthy as any religious man, any religious organisation, to determine the reality around us. You are as worthy as a governing body member or a WT writer to read and decide if 'x' is true or not. In fact the only motives you can be sure of in examining data are...your own.

I guess I feel compelled to write this, it is almost a letter to my youger self. Things I wish I knew before my youth was wasted delivering out of date pamphlets, building windowless indoctrination boxes, assembly halls and the literature itself in Bethel.

There is no need to be down however, If you are here as I was, you are one of the lucky ones, you may just get out....

So to everyone here, once again thank you. Remember it is never too late to do something with your life, to follow a dream or life goal. I strongly advocate education, it has changed my life for sure and I will always promote its power.

Than you to Simon and Angharad for this site, for nearly 10 years now I have survived with all my JW friends gone, their backs turned against me. I have had few family members in my life, the majority not even knowing if I am indeed alive. For having people to talk to here and share fears, joy's and questions...thank you all.

We have very short lives, 10/10 humans that have ever lived...have died... we were sold a lie and time is precious. Do something with it and most importantly, BE HAPPY :)

I had confirmation from the health board yesterday that I am now officially a medical doctor at the tender age of 33, there is life after Watchtower!

Dr Snare & Racket

Good bye x

• Splash
    Splash

Congratulations Doc.

All the very best for your future.

Splash

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Dear Doctor! I'm so happy for you, congratulations!

I hope you'll drop by every so often and give us an update. Many, many people here appreciate you and care about you.

Thank you for all the help you have written here!

Marina

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I hope you'll drop by every so aften and give us an update.

Yes, SNARE, please do that.

You are a success story that there IS life after WT.

Good luck,

Doc

• cofty
    cofty

All the best for your future life and career Dr Snare.

Your contribution to JWN has been outstanding.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Doctor! So happy for you and proud of you!! You will be missed here but all those you take care of will have the pleasure of knowing a truly wonderful man. (((((Dr Snare)))))

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've appreciated hearing your voice of reason on here, snare, so I'll miss you. I'd like to dedicate this song to you and other ex-JWs on their way to bigger and better things; the lyrics are apropos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjwoit91SxU

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Congratulations, and best wishes. I have enjoyed your postings very much.

Lisa

• Laika
    Laika

Hey snare, sorry to see you go, your knowledge of evolution has been really helpful to this exJW, even though I think most of your book recommendations are terrible! ;)

All the best for your future.

• designs
    designs

Don't be a stranger, stop by and let us know how you are doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit