God Says Scripture is Enough

by Perry 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

You need to stop beating yourself up

You misunderstand me if you think I beat myself up. Whatever it took to finally just believe God was worth it. It is the greatest acheivement of my life. Many many "do-overs" got me there. Now life is good, success is a mostly daily, if not moment by moment at times.... reality.

Believing God is the greatest work in the world. It's dividends are endless because God is endless.

"I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me:"

"Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;"

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

This is the ONE and ONLY question I ask a JW these days....if they believe every word of that scripture.

they of course say "yes"

Then I ask them 'well why are you a Jehovah's Witness then?"

Cue the stammering

• designs
    designs

d- 1500 Christian Denominations is really part of that answer. The Bible has spawned Orthodox Jews and Christians, Conservative Jews and Christians, Liberal Jews and Christians. You can play just about any tune you want from the Bible. Radical Marxist to Non-violent total Pacifists. Fundamentalists to New Agers.

The 'Scripture Alone' crowd today is just mouthing the Revivalist Movement of the 1800s.

Seeing how the Bible you hold in your hand came to be should dispell the 'God breathed' notion.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I always wondered why the JWs put so much importance on this scripture. "All scripture is inspired by God". Right, the bible is inspired because it says it is inspired. As a sentence It is meaningless, really, yet we all read it hundreds of times as JWs and it reinforced our belief in the bible. I believe it's just part of the conditioning, because once you accept that the bible is inspired because it says it is, it becomes easier to believe that The Watchtower is God's channel of communication because they say they are.

Perry, your understanding of it is a bit more palatable, but it doesn't address the fact that the scripture is meaningless.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

The problem is Perry we have been conditioned by the churches that works is what is required and the more we do works the more we sin. We are under Gods grace and we ourselves have to accept that we will always be sinner suntil we die. But from that grace we can draw closer to God , he dwells within us and he patiently waits for us to surrender all tohim, he himself will free us form the self condemnation of sin to realise no matter what he will forgive us so we can walk in freedom without that burden on us . He accepts us for who we are, do we accept ourselves. Walking in that freedom allows love to grow and the desire to sin diminishes. THe only works that are required are to live a life of mercy towards others and for the fruit of the spirit within to grow and develop so it flows likea river. You cant get that from going to church and following doctrines and dogma

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ Perry: We chose to disbelieve God and to believe another

So why is this time any different than the last time?

I've seen this many times. A person leaves JWs, joins an equally silly cult like the Mormons, or a Bible-thumping Fundamantalist religion, or goes it alone, etc, etc, and declares they've finally figured it all out.

Believing God is the greatest work in the world. It's dividends are endless because God is endless.

What are the "dividends"?

God didn't invent the Polio vaccine or the Internet. God (if he existed) does nothing for humans but sit idly by as an absentee parent; what humans have now is what humans have gotten through hard work. Why do you credit god with being "the greatest work in the world" when he's does squat for anybody??

• designs
    designs

giveme- so you contradict Perry views.

• Perry
    Perry

The only works that are required are to live a life of mercy towards others and for the fruit of the spirit within to grow and develop so it flows like a river.

This is the EVIDENCE of belief and the resulting new spirit

• Emery
    Emery

Perry, I have never thought about it that way until now but that is one very powerful point to get across to JWs.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Yes unfortunatley many think you cna earn your way to being declared righteous. Attending meetings etc is not works. It is the work going onin the heart believers will be declared righteous. The churches keep believers from entering into the fullness of Christ and enjoying the fruit of the spirt by enslaving its followers to man. The Kingdom is within not without and the true church cannot be seen or touched, not made by human hands, it is this that believers have to enter into. THe false shepherds scatter the flock where the true Shephard the Messiah gathers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit