Giving "Jehovahs spirit" credit for mundane, everyday things!

by BU2B 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scary21
    scary21

EXACTLY

• Terry
    Terry

There are certain "junk" words that litter our brain, pollute our vocabulary, and play fast and loose with our reasoning.

One of those junk words is SPIRIT.

The words means nothing, but extrapolations of its metaphorical pretense are everywhere!

We have five sense connected with our body link to brain.

Hearing, vision, taste, touch, sense of smell.

WITH THOSE FIVE we are in touch with THINGS AS THEY EXIST.

Reality is what it IS.

Through technology, science has been able to AMPLIFY our senses with microscopes, telescopes, x-rays, MRI's, space probes, atom smashers, etc.

But--I assure you--none of this has produced EVIDENCE of "spirit."

The last thing that happens when you die is this. You EXHALE.

This is respiration. Peek into that word and find 'spir'.

That is breath.

From that all the nonsense begins!

God "breathed" into his nostrils the "breath" of life . . .

The 'spir'it of God moved over blah blah blah . . .

SPIRIT is a poetic, non-scientific metaphor for breath, breathing, invisible air (you can feel it, but not see it. Ohhhh, spoooky.)

Early man did not understand how it was possible to FEEL the wind and yet not SEE the wind.

Early man did not understand how it was possible to FEEL his breath and yet not SEE his breath.

The human imgination, in all of its ignorance, concoted a faulty hypothesis which science had disproved time and time again.

Early man concoted an idea:

THAT INVISIBLE BUT PALPABLE THING WHICH COMES OUT OF US WHEN WE DIE IS A SPIRIT.

From that it is easy to go hog wild inventing spirits, demons, Jinn, ghosts, etc. etc.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Exactly Suavojr. You and I think very much alike. I even cannot pray over food without cringing. What makes me or my family worthy of food over the millions now going to bed hungry or the billions who have starved to death in the past. It has nothing to do with any god one way or another.

When anything good happens in life its Jehovah, when somethig bad happens its Satan. Whatever happened to the scripture where god says he makes it rain upon wicked people and good?

I HATE to see people praying to win a football match, or baseball game. Any God who would affect the outcome of a sports match, but not help a child getting raped in a dungeon is a monster. Any god who would give a man chickens in Burma but allow the average childrens wing of a hospital and the suffering wiithin to exist makes me recoil. Even if the alternative was hellfire, I would still tell such a monster to kiss my ass!

• Terry
    Terry

Here is where it is easy to go wrong.

Something is good because I like it.

Here is another way to go wrong.

Something is bad because I don't like it.

Let's amplify the idiocy of subjectivism . . .

If I like the way a thing turns out, Jehovah's spirit made it happen.

If I don't like the way a thing turns out, Satan and his demons made it happen.

Now, how about we just jump completely off the cliff and turn our mind inside out with moronic junk-think.

There is no other possible, feasible, logical, rational, evidence-based reason for things to happen which are GOOD--unless JEHOVAH IS INVOLVED.

The is no other possible, feasible, logical, rational, evidence-based reason for things to happen which are BAD--unless SATAN is behind it.

See how putrid the whole mechanism of junk-think really is?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not." --C.S. Lewis

• ambersun
    ambersun

I can remember a newly married pioneer couple back in the 1960s who were very poor due to no jobs but had a particularly generous neighbour. This neighbour was not a JW but had lived next door to the sister and her family for many years and out of the kindness of his heart provided the couple with some furniture for their new home.

I also knew this neighbour and one day he told me that he had never had a word of thanks for his generosity, just an overheard comment that Jehovah always provides for those who are serving him.

Well, this neighbour indignantly told me that "Jehovah" would not be providing any more!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

terry

Here is where it is easy to go wrong. Something is good because I like it. Here is another way to go wrong. Something is bad because I don't like it.

Yup. Our old friend 'confirmation bias'kicks in and is especially poingnant when it's what the peadophile loving Governing Body tell you is good and bad......and you have to agree with them or be shunned.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

My Father (mid 60 year old) was assigned to travel several hundreds of kms to give a few public talks in country / rural congregations.

He said that he got the car serviced the week before as he "just felt a prompting to do so" (but I reckon it was because it was due for an oil change)

The mechanic told him "your brakes are really getting bad...they are due for replacement...or they may just give out when you are driving!"

Now, my dad is a gullible fool...and was clearly being taken for a ride by this mechanic, because I know for a fact that the brakes WERE NOT due to be replaced yet, as they had only done 15,000 kms since last being replaced!

BUT OF COURSE, after paying the mechanic, he tells me: "It must have been Holy Spirit that made me get the car serviced before that long trip, or else I may have had a serious accident!"

I was so angry both with his stupidity and gullibility, as well as the mechanic taking advantage of him.

But I simply , calmly replied "well Dad, what about the brothers and sisters who HAVE been killed in car accidents, or whose brakes failed...didnt the holy spirit help them?"

• stillin
    stillin

These are some of the most superstious people in the world.. They don't have voodoo rites or rituals. But really, they kind of do.

The temple goings-on were incredibly ritualistic. The Memorial observance, meetings, the whole way of life is a ritual. They need the confirmation bias or

what else would be the purpose of it all?

• Focus
    Focus

OneEyedJoe:

Thing's I've heard attributed to holy spirit/Jehovah

Finding a roll of toilet paper in the street while in service (apparently the pioneer sister had just run out and couldn't afford groceries for another couple days)

Hmmm.

How did the toilet roll get there, then? Sure wasn't by divinely ordained materialization, was it?

Fact Check:

It was somebody else's toilet roll.

If jehooover is to get credit, then he caused some other poor person to lose or drop that toilet roll in the first place.

A toilet roll which they may have desperately needed... You Know what I mean.

So this shameful Gooober gawd, not just a Pedophile-Enabler (his two-witnesses rule) and a Bestiality-Encourager (he brought the animals, teaches the WTS, to Adam to choose one to have sex with; it didn't happen only because Adam showed better taste) and a Liar (starting with the "on the day ye shall eat fruit from this tree, ye shall surely die"), is also a THIEF.

Filthy swine...

__

Focus

("Nail the G.B." Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit