Giving "Jehovahs spirit" credit for mundane, everyday things!

by BU2B 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BU2B
    BU2B

I am hearing this more and more and it is like nails on a chalkboard. I hear it from the WT, from elders, from my parents and from JWs in general.

This HAD TO BE JEHOVAHS SPIRIT! It must be Jehovah that I got this job! It must be Jehovah that I made my rent this month etc.

I hear comments that without "Jehovahs spirit" things like the preaching work could not happen, building a KH could not happen, or jw.org could not exist!

WTF?? A Kigdom hall is a run of the mill, simple basic structure. Why does it require the holy spirit to build when a skyscraper or the international space station does not? Why didnt something like lets say.. Maccu Piccu need the holy spirit to build?

Also I have heard that JW.org is PROOF of Jehovahs blessing! I mean come ON. A run of the mill website is proof of God being behind it? What is behind BBC.com or Foxnews.com? Those sites are even more slick than JW.org! Did they need supernatural help as well?

What are some things you have heard JWs attribute to Jehovah that are just crazy?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES!!

I agree!

Its always "jehovahs spirit etc" when things go a certain good way!

But that's so contradictory Because it implies that when unfortunate things happen to other witnesses they mustn't have had gods spirit help them!?!?

complete garbage! They then fall back on the old "time and unforseen occurrence" argument!

Idiots!

• Comatose
    Comatose

When I said I was moving from my place of birth and living my whole life. We put the house on the market and everyone at the KH all said a variation of "You know if your house doesn't sell, then it isn't Jehovah's Will. The house sold in 6 days... It was Jehoober's WILL!

• BU2B
    BU2B

Yes SIAR2! They always win! For instance when the JWs grow in number then it is Jehovahs spirit. When other religions shrink, it is the "waters of babylon drying up"

If JW growth stagnates and other religions grow, then it is Satan the Devil "blinding the hearts and minds of the unbelievers" or "Jehovah has to call you".

They will point to numbers as proof of Gods blessing on the organisation, yet if you point out that others like the Mormons are growing even more and have more members, then they will say numbers do not matter to God, just look at how many survived the flood of Noahs day!

They have it set up so that no matter what happens they have a go-to mantra. They will spin it their way no matter what.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, this drives me crazy too. I think my wife has finally come around to how cruel this can be (this was something I would often point out even before waking up to TTATT) when someone proclaims that they found $20 out in service and it was exactly what they needed to pay rent for that month, so it must be holy spirit! I can't imagine how crappy I'd feel if I was listening to someone say that if I'd just been evicted because I couldn't pay my rent.

Thing's I've heard attributed to holy spirit/Jehovah/angels/flying spagetti monster:

Coming up with the perfect scripture while out in service (uh, you've spent your entire life being indoctrinated and trained to come up with out of context scriptures while trying to recruit, this is hardly miraculous)

Finding a roll of toilet paper in the street while in service (apparently the pioneer sister had just run out and couldn't afford groceries for another couple days)

Saving a brother from a dog attack while in service. He said the dog was charging at him and he put his bag up to block him and cried out to jehovah to save him and it was as if an angel stood between him and the dog and knocked the dog down as it jumped at him. He must've missed the fact that the dog was chained to a tree, and had just reached the end of the chain.

Lots of experiences of finding money (it's always exactly the amount needed! so, if they found $5 more than they needed for their rent or whatever, it wouldn't have been holy spirit?)

Lots of experiences of "jehovah providing" when really it's a well-off family providing (i.e. letting a pioneer stay with them free of charge, a brother fixing their car, someone buying them groceries, etc)

My father's ability to give public talks is always blamed on holy spirit, even though the man can (and has) talked to perfect strangers for longer than a public talk lasts. He's not a shy man, but somehow it takes holy spirit for him to talk on stage...

I've even heard holy spirit blamed for some pretty terrible things like killing someone's wife/child. How is this, you might ask? well anytime someone has that territory with someone who always turns them down, then all of a sudden they accept because their wife died or they lost their job or whatever terrible thing just happened, they say that holy spirit did it so that they'd be moved to accept the truth (read: emotionally weakened to the point where they're susceptible to being recruited by a love-bombing cult)

I'm sure I could come up with many more, because anything good that happens to anyone is always jehovah's spirit (unless you're worldly, then it's just satan's wicked system looking after what is it's own)

• BU2B
    BU2B

Good ones one eyed joe! That reminds me of a time when I was about 7 or 8. I was going door to door with my parents and I went around to the back of the house when I was confronted by angry, large rottweiler. I took off running and The dog stopped at the sidewalk because that is where the leash stopped. My father swears that "an angel" stopped the dog before the rope ran out. Looking back, the dog just didnt want to snap its neck by running full speed when the rope ran out. Also looking back, we had no buisness going to the back doors of peoples homes! Who knows what may be back there. What about those sisters in Oklahoma almost killed by a pit bull last year while in the ministry? Were they not being supported by holy spirit? You are right, it does make people feel shitty when something bad happens, like they are deficient enough that God would protect someone else but not them. Im sure this is by design, seeing as the whole religion is guilt and fear and works based. DO MORE! OBEY! DONT QUESTION!

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I've given up trying to get JW's reason on this.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Probably the smart choice Heartofaboy. Its like trying to reason with a brick wall

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ OEJ: Finding a roll of toilet paper in the street while in service (apparently the pioneer sister had just run out and couldn't afford groceries for another couple days)

So the Holy Spirit couldn't give her food but did provide toilet paper? I'm completely underwhelmed!

At least if this JW had gone to a Catholic Mission (a part of Satan's world and false religion) they would've given her food. Holy Spirit's contribution? Toilet paper.

Let me guess HS's provision for something to eat: she looked under the bench at a bus stop on her way home and found a piece of old chewing gum? God be praised!

• James Brown
    James Brown

I am hearing this more and more and it is like nails on a chalkboard. I hear it from the WT, from elders, from my parents and from JWs in general.

This HAD TO BE JEHOVAHS SPIRIT! It must be Jehovah that I got this job! It must be Jehovah that I made my rent this month etc.

I hear comments that without "Jehovahs spirit" things like the preaching work could not happen, building a KH could not happen, or jw.org could not exist!

WTF?? A Kigdom hall is a run of the mill, simple basic structure. Why does it require the holy spirit to build when a skyscraper or the international space station does not? Why didnt something like lets say.. Maccu Piccu need the holy spirit to build?

Also I have heard that JW.org is PROOF of Jehovahs blessing! I mean come ON. A run of the mill website is proof of God being behind it? What is behind BBC.com or Foxnews.com? Those sites are even more slick than JW.org! Did they need supernatural help as well?

What are some things you have heard JWs attribute to Jehovah that are just crazy?

In my experience this is not just a JW phenonoma.

It is a Christian, positive thinking way of processing lifes events.

It is having a positive attitued toward life.

I have been out of the Tower since 83 and spent 10 years in law enforcement.

Every day in muster law officers would pray before hitting their post.

And Americans of all persuasions would thank God for all the good and bad in their lives.

If you get good, you thank God for it.

If you get bad, you ask God for strength and courage to surmount your obstacles.

Thats, life.

No matter what religion or lack of.

It is just one way that a lot of people deal with and process life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit