VERY short day at the Arlington/Dallas International Convention-My Observations

by CaptainSchmideo 33 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Okay, some good takeaway:

I have never been to a convention quite like this before. A very friendly vibe all around, lots of banners and posters with sayings like "Sending love to all our brothers", "See you in the Paradise", "Ecuador sends greetings", and "jehovahs-witness.net" (okay, I lied on that last one...)

Lots of delegates in "native" dress, and lots of cowboy attire! (this WAS taking place in Texas, after all!) No one was brave enough to dress in Native American tribal attire, but I guess all the Comanches are mostly dead. And it wasn't just "regular" publishers. Attendants wearing cowboy hats, a sister monitoring the contribution box, wearing a denim skirt, vest, braids, and a straw hat. A hispanic brother wearing a sombrero. South Americans dressed as "gauchos". Hindi sisters wearing saris. Definitely a monotony breaker.

And gift tokens! Someone with a bowl of candy standing in the hall at the end of the session, for anyone to take a piece. Sisters exchanging little business cards with hand made doo-dads attached to them, representing their congregations. Some of them even had little State Flags of Texas on them! (I am NOT making this up!)

BIG display on the "Jerry-tron" as no matter where you where, you had a direct, eye to eye view of the speaker. Gerrit Loesch, 50 feet high, and looking right at you! (okay, maybe not so good...). The emcee (or whatever you call the guy who introduces the speakers and reads the announcements. Compere? Announcement Guy?) never could get the hang of the camera, and still kept looking at the audience members in the stands, which made his delivery on camera akin to a guy following an insect with his eyes as it buzzes around his head (or is that just the DT's?).
    At one awkward point, at the beginning of the afternoon sesssion, after he announced that the musical interlude was to begin, the camera stayed on him for the entire interlude, so we all got to be entertained by watching him on the big screen sitting there, fidgeting, at one point, patting all his pockets in an obvious panic as he tries to find some important item (he must have found it). Somewhat amusing entertainment.

We actually got to the convention very very late. Parking was amazingly full (so much for all those pronouncements of "this religion is dying, no one goes to these things" blah blah), so full, that they kicked into "overflow parking" which was two miles away at University of Texas at Arlington. This required boarding a bus to get to the site. Nice air conditioned ride to the assembly, yes? Except...you had to get a ride back to your car at the end of the day, and here is where it all went into a shambles (and not the KJV "meat market" kind of shambles). Apparently, they only could get 2 buses available for this service. And it took forever to get them in operation (oh lord, were there all sorts of buses, but none of them were the ones that could get me to my car!). So, the session ends at 3:50. I figure, okay, let's give them some time to get this sorted out. I can be patient! So, 3:50 becomes 5:00, becomes 6:00, becomes 7:00! And the service never improves! And what with the numerous wheel chair inhabitants, etc, the boarding process is INCREDIBLY slow! By 7:00, I am really getting concerned, because I still have a four hour drive to get home, and all I have been doing is waiting! Fortunately, a cab driver happened to show up, and after picking up one load, he figured out that he could come back and make some serious coin! There was a real scrum when he came back, as my wife and I, and another couple, and a family of 4 all crammed into a car that seated 7 and finally got our air conditioned car! All for 30 bucks for the group. Best 10 bucks I ever spent. If this is the level of "organization" to be expected in the "new system", everyone is going starve in a week....

The venue of Arlington stadium was ENORMOUS! To you friends in Britain and Oz, you just could not imagine until you got there. The place is built to the specifications and ego of Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, and to say it is "Texas Sized" is understatement, in the same that saying Katy Perry dresses a tad loud, or that Lady Gaga tends to a slighly higher level of self promotion than other entertainers do. There were 50,000 people there on Sunday, and most of those seats were full. I think all the ones who avoided Detroit like the plague must have decided to come to a city that has an amusement park and a water park within visual distance of the convention site, as well as hundreds of hotels and many more restaurants.

Oh, and the drama! Huge jumbo tron, and the subject is the book of Joshua! Gotta be exciting, yes? Um, no.... The story was done EXACTLY like a typical convention drama, complete with abstract sets, painted backdrops, and the same dubbed voices over bearded "actors". (But I did think that the woman playing Rahab was kinda hot. She reminded me of Diana Scarwid or Denise Crosby in the eyes, but with the "ancient Jeri curl look" that they always portray non Israelite women with.) One thing that made me almost burst out laughing was, whenever "Jehovah" speaks to Joshua, or the pair of Joshua and Caleb, it went something like this: Joshua [looking at camera and you, the viewer] "and Jehovah then said to me:[Joshua pauses, looks up. Camera angle changes to elevated view, looking straight down at Joshua.] Jehovah [V.O.] "and you will tell the people, obey all my commands (blah blah blah)." [Jehovah finishes, Joshua now looks at camera and speaks again]. It took me awhile to figure out what this reminded me of, and it just dawned on me today:

http://youtu.be/P4NT1UUCZV4?t=50s

If the video doesn't embed right, the reactions of the characters at 50 seconds in (which was always the same in the Muppet Show segment of "Veterinary Hospital") is exactly what I was flashing to.

As far as the talks, I kinda dozed through the first one (darn that heavy sandwich), but I was able to keep fairly concetrated on Loesch's closing comments. A summary of the Big Talk that others have already posted on here. But, for all the text that has been ranted over Loesch in the past, what really struck me was that he is really a very boring speaker. Knda like listening to the summing up at an accountants meeting.

Anyway, my wife was happy to make at least one day, my mother in law probably thinks there is still hope for me yet, and I got to experience some of the fuss. And the hotel we stayed at was an Aloft! I highly recommend staying at one.

Later days....

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Crap! Things I forgot to mention!

Loesch was wearing a very cheesy looking JW.org button. It looked exactly like the kind of pin Jennifer Aniston was required to wear as "flair" in the movie "Office Space".

More on the drama. Every exciting thing that happens in the account was done "off stage". No visuals of walls of Jericho crumbling, Achan gets a stern talking to, but no mention of the fact that he and his family would then be brutally stoned to death, and no battle of the Five Armies versus Israel and Gibeon on screen, no visuals of the sun standing still (and crisping one half of the Earth while the other side froze), no hailstones (other that a few token, bloodless dead bodies and a sprinkling of hail around them. Very dull. Oh, well, one day, maybe they will finally give us a Lord of the Rings epic (and take credit for the special effects software in the process.)

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Hard to believe anyone was bold enough to give a doo-dad with a state flag on it! Can't you just see it, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the southwestern state of Texas" just as the convention starts.

Sounds like a lot of people were expressing their individuality.

• sherah
    sherah

Nice synopsis....thx!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

If this is the level of "organization" to be expected in the "new system", everyone is going starve in a week....

Funny! Great summary. Glad I missed it all.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I can't imagine being that close to Six Flags and telling the kids, "Sorry, but we're just going to go to this uberboring convention instead."

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Surprising that they didn't use any sort of visual effects for the drama. They've done it before for some videos.

Also I swear they did a drama about Joshua and Jericho already. Does that ring any bells?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Thanks for the entertaining summary. I didn't go at all this year, which I am thrilled about. But its nice to know the org is moving every forward.

JW.org pins? Oh wow. They will rebrand from the Watchtower. Just watch.

• metatron
    metatron

If these events are so successful, why did they go to one day? As for flags and all the rest, let them become ever more superficial and shatter in a thousand directions.

metatron

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Barrold, yes it does. When I was a lad, they did the entire drama on Jericho, complete with family member that was reluctant to stay in Rahab's house because of something or someone she left behind, leaves at the last second, and dies in the collapse of the walls. Did you get it, Dear Brothers? DID YOU GET THE POINT?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit