Question for Atheists.. Did you gain a Greater Sense of Morality and Happiness?

by objectivetruth 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jam
    jam

In fact, "the Golden Rule", Confucianism (551-479 BC)

How about 'Shu(reciprocity) "Never impose on others what you

would not choose for youself".

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Atheists treat others well becaue they want to and it's logical.

Theists treat others well because an invisable man is watching their every move and will punish them if they slip

• Focus
    Focus

Atheists behave better because they are, in general, more at peace with themselves.

Almost all gOD-brown-nosers, by contrast, are plagued by secret doubts that they aren't right. Or even that they backed the wrong horse. Suppressing these doubts leads to great tension - but they have to suppress them, 'cos if gOD detects them... there's a possibility of a "zaap!". The bigger these secret doubts, the bigger the fanaticism to cover up these doubts. Fundamentalists are the ones with the greatest fears they are wrong.

True, some are so stupid they genuinely don't have doubts. They are a minority, though a big one.

Theists treat others well because an invisable man is watching their every move and will punish them if they slip

... not to mention spying on them in the toilet.

__

Focus

("Belshazzar" Class)

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your comments so far. I have read Several Studies, and the Findings Match many of your Responses..

On Average, Atheists care more about their fellow man, are More Educated, are more Peaceful.

However some studies also show that Atheists on Average have less "Hope" then do Religious Individuals.

I know that it is easier to Fabricate Truth using statistics than it is with the Bible.. But my Observations on here, confirm these studies.

Have any of you ever considered this, If there were no Religous Texts, and no Religion, would you still be Atheist?

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

I Love this Story from Gandhi

" Gandhi and Reverend Andrews, a Presbyterian missionary, were walking together in South Africa. “The two suddenly find their way blocked by young thugs. Reverend Andrews takes one look at the menacing gangsters and decides to run for it. Gandhi stops him. ‘Doesn’t the New Testament say if an enemy strikes you on the right cheek you should offer him the left?’ Andrews mumbles that he thought the phrase was used metaphorically. ‘I’m not so sure,’ Gandhi replies. ‘I suspect he meant you must show courage – be willing to take a blow, several blows, to show you will not strike back nor will you be turned aside. And when you do that it calls on something in human nature, something that makes his hatred decrease and his respect increase. I think Christ grasped that and I have seen it work.’

"Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians - you are not like him."

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Awesome Quote, Island Man " Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without religion you will find good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things. But to get good people to do bad things - that takes religion."

• smiddy
    smiddy

Have any of you ever considered this, If there were no Religous Texts, and no Religion, would you still be Atheist?

Excuse me ? Why then would you be anything else ?

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes, happiness for a variety of reasons, Freedom being the main one, freedom to search out what is really true.

And a greater sense of morality because I came to realise that the Bible's morality was simply not of a high enough standard for us in the 21st Century.

We no longer tolerate Slavery, mis-treatment of women or of our Gay friends, we are above all that disgusting 2000 year old nonsense.

Our Morality is based upon doing the most good and the least harm. A Morality that works in any age.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Every Religious Text has been Manipulated, Revised, and Adapted over the Centuries to support Various Interpretations.

Most religious view points are derived from interpretations of sacred Religious Texts (Bible,Quaran,Book of Mormon,etc)

Being a Theist it is my Opinion that we are made in God's Image, and if we stopped searching for God in our various Religous Texts, and instead we looked inside of our selves, We would Better Understand God.

Havent you just identified your bias ? "we are made in God's Image" ?Most religious view points are derived from interpretations of sacred Religious

texts. Havent you just done the same thing ?

To answer the OP I certainly didnt gain a lesser sense of morality and I like to think I have gained a greater happiness living my life the way I want to not having to answer to some mythical figure in the heavens who wants to manipulate me , via a human who is supposed to speak for him.

A pretty piss weak God dont you think ?

smiddy

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

As a born in Witness, when I was well and truely in I felt morally superior. I felt that I was part of a pure organisation that had proper morals, aligned to God's purpose.

As I have woken up to TTATT and lost my faith and belief in God I have realised how shallow my morality was. I do feel that I was taught a good moral baseline but it was the reasons why it was important to act with honesty, integrity and compassion. As a Witness is was because it would be pleasing to Jehovah. As a humanist (for want of a better phrase) it's becuase it's the right thing to do for my fellow humans.

As such I have realised I am not actually that compassionate. As a Witness I avoided giving to charity, dismissed giving my time and energy to voluntary organisations aiming to help those in real need - treating these as minor compared to the life saving work of peddling the Watchtower. I have had to completely re-evaluate my thinking process and what I really think about the issues facing mankind on a daily basis and what I can do to help. Now I feel a fraud.

I always considered I was a Witness with proper thinking ability. Now I realise that I still delegated so much to WT reasoning. I am having to start pretty much from square one to try and build my own opinion that is not shaped by the paths moulded by my decades long adherence to WT philosophy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit