Question for Atheists.. Did you gain a Greater Sense of Morality and Happiness?

by objectivetruth 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

I've heard some view points that state, Atheists are Generally more Moral & Caring for fellow humans, than are Theists.

I'd like to hear some personal stories of Life Changes and Quality of Life after you became Atheist. I have a simple theory that may explain this.

I'll explain my Theory if you'd like, after a few responses, as I really am interested in the Personal Changes that you experienced.. Thank You very much, and I look forward to your stories.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

It's a little more complicated, but the short answer is yes.

Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told to do. Religion is doing what you are told to do no matter what is right.

Remember that morals are a socio-cultural evolution that changes in time. Moralities are sets of self-perpetuating and ideologically-driven behaviors.

Sadly, I don't have any particular experience to share.

Happiness are these bits and pieces of moments you have or share. No one is happy all the time.

Take care,
    Ismael

ps: Let's the games begin.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Ishmael - Thank you for your response, what you say about Morality and happiness are both true, they are influenced by many factors.. I guess I Should clarify Morallity, since Morals are subjective.. Instead of saying Morallity let's instead say.. Are Atheists more likely to Fulfill "The Golden Rule" do to others what you would like done to you.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

As regards the golden rule, it's logical to treat other people well if you want to get the best out of them. Children learn this in nursery school. The problems start when a religious code of conduct tells you to keep on treating people well when they repay your kindness with cruelty. This completely screws everything up.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Do "wicked spirit forces" come into play in your theory at any point I wonder?

Your question is loaded to start with anyway...

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"I guess I Should clarify Morallity, since Morals are subjective.. Instead of saying Morallity let's instead say.. Are Atheists more likely to Fulfill "The Golden Rule" do to others what you would like done to you." -

I don't want to be an A-hole. A simple answer will be very complicated, but again the short answer should be yes.

Morals are not a subjective concept, morality is tangible and you can witness its evolution through history.

Morality means manners, character, proper behavior. Morality has to do with how you act toward others. In societies they have always be present to some extents. You can, of course, act in a way that has no effect on anyone else, and in this case morality isn’t involved. But given the choice between acting in a way that increases someone else’s moral good or not, it is more moral to do so than not.

We need an evolutionary understanding of where a strong sense of right and wrong comes from as an instinct, and a neurobiological account of how our brains function or not when they engage in ethical reasoning.

Morality involves conscious choice, and the choice to act in a manner that increases someone else’s moral good, then, is a moral act, and its opposite is an immoral act.

“Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself.” - Robert G. Ingersoll (1833 – 1899)

“Happiness is not a reward / it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment / it is a result.” - Robert G. Ingersoll (1833 – 1899)

• Terry
    Terry

Morality and Ethics are fancy ways of describing what is practical in a social situation.

People who can survive outside of a group and without group cooperation and approval are rare, indeed.

Those who must operate inside cannot possibly function without consideration for members of the group.

Familes are the primary unit of social cooperation. Those which are most dysfunctional are without boundraries.

Personal boundaries are the beginning of social order.

Morality and Ethics are codified into law to mark off boundaries and enforce them.

Those with the best education usually create finer and finer distinctions in behavior (courtesy, manners, deportment, etiquette) in order

to distinguish the "better" classes from the "lower" classes.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Ok I see that my question is very loaded.. It is so common for Theists & Atheiests to engage in disputes, but that is not my intent at all..

Here are the main concepts of my "theory".

- Most humans receive their knowledge of God from Tradition (Church,Family,Society,etc)

- Most humans accept these Traditional Views as "Truth"

- Most religious view points are derived from interpretations of sacred Religious Texts (Bible,Quaran,Book of Mormon,etc)

- Most people do not make any effort to challenge Traditional Doctrine or The Actual Religious Texts.

- For this Reason people View their Religious Texts as their God. They decide that Whatever that Religious Text says about God is the Truth.

- Every Religious Text has been Manipulated, Revised, and Adapted over the Centuries to support Various Interpretations.

- Being a Theist it is my Opinion that we are made in God's Image, and if we stopped searching for God in our various Religous Texts, and instead we looked inside of our selves, We would Better Understand God.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My morals didn't change, I was a nice person before, I am still a nice person. I am happier though, I don't waste time worrying about getting toasted at the big A.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit