She is Going to Talk to the Elders About My Questions...What Should I Expect?

by HeyThere 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

So one of my in-laws, a born in dub, started asking me questions about the issues I am having with the religion. So I told her, rather carefully, how I discovered all the child pedophile cases, went over some of the case details, explained it is occurring all over the world, so isn't just some random misunderstanding, but is widespread hiding of child sex u all abuse. She was horrified. I then asked her some of my lingering questions no jw has been able to answer. She said "Good questions. I don't know." I then told her about the changes to the donation arrangement. She said "We don't do that." I said "you do now."

At the end of all this, she told me she will have to talk to the Elders in her cong because she is disturbed. She suggested I talk to the elders, I told her I was not comfortable doing that. She said she will be asking them these things.

So, what should I expect to happen here?

• jgnat
    jgnat

The greatest sin is spreading doubts. I would warn your in-law that her frank discussion of these concerns would likely get you DF'd. Then she will have even more evidence that you know what the heck you are talking about.

Even if elders want to talk to you, there is no obligation to comply. How fast do you want this exit to go?

• Witness My Fury
  • Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Depends on how she interacts with the Eldubs. Its common for them to

grill a person about where they came up with their questions.

Its a tactic to turn it back on the questioner and demonize the source of the question.

My elders tried to do it to me I told them they were using a dishonest tactic and that they should just answer the questions.

Here's some of what I asked them a few weeks ago.

• Why do Jehovah's Witnesses reject the Bibles example concerning baptism?

1. The bible states that baptism should be in the name of the Father , Son and Holy spirit. But at a person's baptism since 1985 its stated by the Jehovah's Witness conducting this question. "Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?"

2. Jehovah's Witnesses commonly baptize young children . Some as young as 6 have been mentioned in their literature (WATCHTOWER 1992 3/1 p.27) (Jehovah's Witnesses Year Book 2011 p.58 ) . Yet nowhere in the bible is any child ever baptized. In fact the only age known in the bible was Jesus who was 30 .

3. Jehovah's Witnesses will not baptize a serving military person. Yet the bible gives an example of a serving Roman soldier being baptized (Acts 10:47-48).

4. Jehovah's Witnesses make a person go through a interview process with 3 elders where a series of up to 80 questions are asked and must be answered for the person to be baptized as a Christian. There is no biblical example of this . In fact just the opposite . Requirements were simply to accept Jesus as savior.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

One thing I forgot to clarify is that I am not baptized...I am an unbaptized publisher. My husband is a born in baptized dub. His family is in

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Probably nothing will happen. Sister will be warned off looking into anything and her doubts smothered and will probably be wary of talking to you.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I am an unbaptized publisher."

This puts the elders in a tight spot. They can't disfellowship you, but they can try to pin the "apostate" label on you.

"She suggested I talk to the elders, I told her I was not comfortable doing that."

I'd suggest going to the elders and telling them that this in-law has serious concerns about things she'd heard about the WT pedo cases and that she's very disturbed about the new donation arrangement. Perhaps say that you really didn't want to be involved with this, but she was very insistant on talking to you about it and then suggested that you talk to the elders about it for her.

Man, that would make a sticky mess. I understand if you didn't do it, but it's interesting to wonder how it would play out.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Her elders will give her some routine answers about imperfect men, waiting on Jehovah, this is God's chosen org. on earth, the light keeps getting brighter, etc. and more than likely, she wil swallow it all as her cult personality regains its footing.

BUT, Watchtower free gave you some AWESOMEtalking points! Take advantage of them!

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Jgnat: thank you for the suggestion. I am not baptized, but my husband is. I think if her elders call my elders I will talk to them, and ask them the same questions. My questions are about 1914, 1975, all other prophesies (which I have original wt pubs) Beth sarim, blood, vaccines, etc. I asked the sisters I study with to study with me from the bible to answer my questions and they cant. They are researching topics for me now. So I will simply ask them. I just don't want to approach them as I don't want them to start pressuring my h about me.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

WT Free...Very very good stuff. I will definitely add to my arsenal. Thank you so much for taking the time to give such detail. I am actually feeling some excitement at asking this stuff...is that weird????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit