To Speak or remain ChickenS***

by BobsGirl 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

{{{{Bobsgirl}}}}

Your family doesn't have to be "flesh and blood". Your family can be the people who love you unconditionally, the ones that are there to listen and offer support when needed. Family is there when you have get-togethers, have a special day you want to celebrate or someone you can call when you just want to vent or chat about the weather. Family loves YOU for YOU!!! Your family will have a deep respect for you and will always love you the same whether you decide to remain a silentlamb or choose to ROAR!

That is what a family is...and you are my family!

Wow, do I love my family!...you all know who you are!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

To be able to make a decission that is all your own, you need to isolate yourself during the process. After you have considered all input, make the decision all by yourself. Take as long as it takes. Remember, only you live in your skin.

SS

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

(((((((((bobsgirl))))))))))))

I ditto the above. I send you hugs - and lots of them. We're here for you. One step at a time.

love,
    Mimilly

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

Well .... I made my decision and it is in the hands of .....to whom it may concern now. I just sent this email to the local NBC News affiliate.

To whom it may concern,

On Tuesday, May 28th Dateline NBC will be profiling Jehovah's Witnesses and their policies on the reporting of child sexual abuse. The individuals who are to be featured in this episode are currently under attack by the Jehovah's Witness organization, even excommunicated for coming forward.

If you would be interested in following the Dateline airing with a local interest story, I would be willing to talk to you. I am both a survivor of childhood abuse at the hands of church members and have been sanctioned for not "screaming" (or bringing the matter immediately to the church elders) when the abuse happened.

I am the firstborn of six generations of Jehovah's Witnesses and am VERY familiar with church policy, doctrine and practice. I feel strongly that policies need to be changed for the protection of the children within the organization.

This is not an easy email to send, because I know that speaking up publicly could cause me to be excommunicated or "disfellowshipped" by the organization. This would mean that I would be shunned by all active members of the organization. In my case that would mean everyone I ever loved for the first 30 years of my life.

This is really a lose/lose situation for me. If I don't come forward and add my voice to the ones who are calling for change ... I will not be able to live with myself. If I do ... my loved ones will not be able to live with me. I have to believe that even the possibility of a change in JW policy that will make this organization a safer place for the children of Jehovah's Witnesses is worth the sacrifice.

I am forwarding several news stories on the issues mentioned above. If you have need to contact me ... please feel free to call xxx-xxx-xxxx (Day) or xxx-xxx-xxxx (Evening). Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Bobsgirl, you have taken a very brave step. ****HUGS***** It will not be easy, but if this will help you to deal with what you have been through, it will be worth it.

• flower
    flower

woah

your post..i cant even tell you. i have been dealing with that very struggle lately and i was just a couple days ago talking to LadyLee about this very thing. ive felt somewhat guilty about not getting involved in the issues and mostly for not even reading silentlambs posts or visiting the site or getting involved in any way. i feel like a hypocrite or a coward or like i am letting down someone somewhere. but i'm just not ready and dont know that i ever will be ready to face that head on. i know in my mind that i dont have to apologize to anyone but my heart feels different.

anyway, nuf about me. WOW you are so brave to write that letter. Did you really send it off? I'm so proud of you and impressed. Wow.

flower

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

WOW Bobsgirl!

*I have goosebumps all over just reading the e-mail you sent*

Please be assured if you need to talk, I'm here to listen. I hope your family doesn't "shun" you for the action you just took. How brave you are.

(((((((Bobsgirl)))))))

j2bf

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

BobsGirl,

I just knew you would do it. I am so proud of you!

I know it was the most difficult thing for you. You never know, maybe your family will be understanding and stand by your side.

I know it doesn't mean a lot comming from written words on a forum but, we are behind you 100% here. Had you not come forward, we wouldn't have thought any less of you.

(((((((((((((Warm hugs)))))))))))))))

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

Thank you for the kind encouragement. Hopefully I will find the strength when the moment of truth arrives.

Love,

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Bob's Girl

I would call that Your Declaration of Freedom

Congratulations

And I can see that there might be some losses for you. I hope they do not occur.

But I don't believe this is lose/lose for you either.

There is a win in here in that you have "spoken your truth". Whether Dateline contacts you or not you have proven to yourself (cause no one else really matters in this situation) that you want an end to the silence and fear. You want safety for others and are willing to sacrifice a lot to help others. I beleive that counts for something.

No one can tell anyone else when the time is right for a personal Declaration of Freedom - right Flower? Each one of us must decide that for ourselves and accept whatever occurs.

I fully understand the double bind so many are in when making choices like this - to speak out and risk losing friends, family and community. But for many of us remaining silent means continuing the lie. And I know I just could not live a lie any longer. It hurt too much. Freedom never comes without a struggle. It rarely comes without losses.

But you did not create this problem. Others did.

And know this - that those who have not supported you in speaking your truth and those who would shun you for doing so are not the loving people you would want them to be. They are controlled and manipulated by an organization that does not care for the one lost sheep that Jesus spoke of. Rather they are more invested with all the teachings of the Pharisees that He condemned.

JWs are encouraged to be Christ-like. I believe that in speaking out to protect the innocents, the most vulnerable in our society - then and only then are we truly following Christ's commands to love one another. This is the meaning of love IMO

Bravo and (((((((Bob'sgirl)))))) and ((((Silentlambs)))) silent or not

A not-so-silent lamb

Aspire to inspire before you expire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit