International Convention...Same Message, Same Emotional Manipulation

by HeyThere 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I remember a convention that said we are so close to the end that we can no longer refer to it as 'just around the corner'.

Brothers! Sisters! Little Ones! WE ARE AROUND THE CORNER. We are staring the Great Tribulation IN THE EYE. Or somesuch. That was 20 years ago.
    I know I know it's J-Time which is different from human time.

• steve2
    steve2

We may well be around the corner by now. Trouble is, one corner leads to another, then another and another and another ad infinitum. Somehow, the Watchtower fixates on corners - as if there is something meaningful about a corner that signals the end point. Nope, it just leads to another corner and another and another....

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Perhaps they will come up with a new way of counting time...like weeks of years. Maybe weeks of decades, or days of millenia or something.

• Ocean1111
    Ocean1111

I say they are already preparing JWs to cancel the ministry by Bethel's own mandate. "The preaching work has come to an end folks!" I believe Bethel has already pre-programmed in everything they plan to do, and the veneer intended to cover it up.

That the JW ministry is ending is written between the lines in many ways. That the world is not ending with it is also logical. There is no case now, other than some of the public in general, of a more dated mindset than Jehovah's witnesses. By the GB banning the internet, also between the lines, JWs don't even know what is going on in general. Some of them do not even read the news paper.

So essentially JWs are a "mental snapshot" from 1970. That is as far as Bethel "insight" goes, and I mean literally. The whole Bethel illusion is actually very dated, they do not even apply massive modern events and developments to prophecy like they used to, and this is what aids the background JW retardation as to commonly known world developments, that JWs are actually not familiar with. Instead Awake! gives them details on obscure woodpeckers and bugs.

And that aids the other engineered elements of what is actually a "self fulfilling prophecy" now. JWs actually expect and will support the end of their own ministry. Thus macro and micro perception production in the JW microcosm is present, one by lack of information, the other by engineered information.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Ending the field service will get them a good five years grace as they wait for the end.

I can just imagine the buzz... Although I don't think it will happen as it's a great control method.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

my abusive elder father would have been sobbing like a baby had he been alive listening to that crap

• bigmac
    bigmac

We are staring the Great Tribulation IN THE EYE.

which one--?----the nether-eye ?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Some thoughts on my convention:

I think it was during the 100 years of kingdom rule contrasted with 100 years of satan's system talk, the speaker says something about christendom "tickling the ears of their followers" by providing entertainment and concerts, etc. Then in the next couple hours, we watch the emotional manipulation video and a live action drama. How is this anything but blatant hipocracy?

There were at least two mentions of "athiests and agnostics" that stood out to me. The first stated that christendom is "the leading cause of athiesm." Basically, the point made was that people are only athiests because they're disgusted by the religions that they've seen (i.e. they'd surely be JWs if only we could reach them!). I (as an athiest) sat there wondering, is it really impossible that athiests are what they are because they see no evidence of the existence of god? The second mention, similarly, said that they were better off than christendom since they've rejected them for their hipocracy, etc, but they're still not on the highway of holiness and will be destroyed at armageddon. Again, the only reason to be athiest is because you reject christendom and you just gave up instead of finding the JWs.

Side note - I couldn't get AC/DC's Highway to Hell out of my head the whole time they were going on about the highway of holiness.

There was also a part where some teenagers discuss what they want to do in the new system. Wow were they really selling the unrealistic expectations. Everyone's going to get a beachfront house, and a vacation home at a ski resort! They even had one kid represent logic by saying something like "how do you know you're going to get a house where you want?" and the other kid says "the bible says he's going to satisfy all our desires, and I desire a house in the mountains!"

It's probably confirmation bias, but there also seemed to be a lot of self-promotion from the GB member that did the talks on the tie in. In the last talk, he almost made a point of telling everyone that he'd be ruling over us (when reviewing the "thrones" talk, he spent twice as long talking about the thrones of the 144000 than he did on Jesus' and Jehovah's thrones combined). When he started talking about the 144000's thrones, it was almost as if he was so used to talking to other anointeds about ruling over the R/F that he started to refer to it as our thrones, then he stopped himself and said, of course most of you in the audience will be the subjects of the kingdom, with the 144000 ruling from their thrones. I think this may give a hint as to how the GB talks about the flock behind closed doors.

Also from the last talk, he gave some highlights of those baptized at the IC. One was a guy who'd studied 35 years ago, but managed not to get dragged in with his wife. He finally got baptized and the speaker recounted his reason: the guy that studied with him was so nice that he eventually joined up (so it isn't the accuracy of the doctrine, it's the social network!). They also said that his wife missed his baptism because she was in the hospital. so he's an older guy facing an ailing wife and he wants to maximize the support he gets from his wife's friends- it's a no-brainer to get baptized at that point. he probably knows that it's all BS.

all in all, a thuroughly crappy weekend.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Likely many of those thing will be possible(save ressurection) in the next 100 years but it will be scientific research not jokehova that does it.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Thanks for your thoughts OEJoe....and thanks now I have ACDC's "Highway to Hell" stuck in my head!

CHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit