Expressions on faces at DC/RC

by BU2B 28 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

I have become more observant at the last couple District Conventions of JWs faces and enthusiasm and it seems to be very somber. I remember a couple of years ago I was an attendant at one of the upper sections at the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY and in afternoon session at least half were curled up with their eyes closed, some with blankets. The applause seems very forced and mechanical. When I look around, most seem to have little kids to wrangle, so 3 days of 8 hour sessions is pure misery. Others at their seats seem bored, tired, or frowning. Hardly the worlds happiest people. Then you have the furious note takers. True some seem to be paying close attention, but most seem zoned out like they wish they were anywhere else. Of course they perk up at lunch or when the session is over. At these moments, I wonder how many even care or would go if they werent forced into going by pressure from family and friends.

As a side point, last year it seemed the sisters were not heeding the counsel on dress. I saw mostly bare legs, skirts just at or above the knee, semi low cut blouses, and lots of clingy skirts and dresses where you could see quite a bit. Also no one listened to the KM about high heels, everyone had them. It almost seemed like a fashion show.

Have you noticed the same?

What have you noticed about the crowds at the DC/RC?

• sir82
    sir82

What have you noticed about the crowds at the DC/RC?

One thing that always strikes me is the number wandering the hallways during the session.

Based on rough extrapolation, I'd say that maybe 5, 6, 7% of the total attendance is wandering the halls at any time. At my RC, out of attendance of 11 or 12,000, there were always at least 500 or 600 in the hallways.

In my general vicinity, I'd say about 75% of kids under 12 were either asleep or snacking. maybe 10% of the adults, ditto.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It almost seemed like a fashion show.

Assemblies have always been a fashion show.

New suits for men are bought as well dresses for the girls

and of course new cloths for the kids, all to impress.

That was deemed the pleasure part of going to assemblies, looking good to be seen.

....... and as far as the teens, it was a time to impress the opposite sex

This was one of things that disturbed me back in the day, about dress and outward appearance to pole attending the mattings.

You were supposed to look good for the image of the organization , by design of the WTS. itself. ( god's organization )

The PO and elders in my old hall all had money making businesses, drove Cadillacs and Mercedes and wore the most expensive suits,

yet they were the role models for the entire congregation. .... uuummm ???

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I know last year I had my Skullcandy headphones and was listening to my iPod shuffle for the whole program. I looked around on occasion, noticed one young fellow giving me a little smirk. I had a feeling he probably could've cared less about the convention, too. Other than that, yeah, folks were snacking and napping during the program. But yeah, those folks were probably not the norm. Most people seemed zoned out and were staring at the platform. Man, that Esther drama sucked. I couldn't wait for it to end and I wasn't even really listening.

Anyway, yeah, the dress and grooming are definitely uh...you know, often the young sisters are doing a JW version of sexy out there. Not that it ever mattered to me, really. I usually stayed in my seat during lunchtime or walked around by myself. The few young ladies I met by chance never seemed particularly interested. But it did a number on my hormones, though. Trying to last the whole weekend without resorting to the unclean habit of mas--was always a challenge. But then, once I got reprogrammed, it was like I had a really cool deflector shield that could stop anyone. At least for awhile, and then it went back to normal.

Well...I guess this year is a temporary break from conventions. Will I return next year? I don't know. But this isn't about me, it's about expressions on faces. Mostly people were pretentiously friendly to each other. "How are you??? I haven't seen you in forever! Blah blah!" And so on. It all seems very different though, once you're being shunned and all.

--sd-7

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

One thing that always strikes me is the number wandering the hallways during the session.

Yes, I have to agree. If you take notice you have more people wondering the hall at a JW Ass'y than you do at a regular event. Is this because there material is boring?

I also noticed that the restrooms are kept cleaner Non-JW events than at Ass'y.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I also noticed that the restrooms are kept cleaner Non-JW events than at Ass'y.

You've got that right. Every JW event I can recall, the bathrooms always smell like one giant fart. I don't know what it is, but that's always the case.

--sd-7

• Demokan
    Demokan

Me and my auntie were snacking on two-bite cinnamon rolls and commenting on people's shoes, and then one lady who we named "jiggly" showed up and she had giant boobs, she wasn't wearing a bra and they were bouncing when she walked out to go to the washroom and when she came back, lots of people were looking at her.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The short dresses and low cut tops are the result global warming You see, the sisters just have to make the best of things. It is further proof that this old world will soon end!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Every JW event I can recall, the bathrooms always smell like one giant fart. I don't know what it is, but that's always the case."

These arenas are typically designed for events that last 2-4 hours. The discrap crapventions are 3 consecutive 8 hr. days or so. It can easily overload the ventilation and plumbing systems.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

20 years ago I took a uni student friend to a meeting. He was sure from the way the sisters were dressed that they were dying to get laid. As much as the Watchtower condemns other church members for looking too casual, young JWs often look like they are trying to pick up in a night club. I have heard brothers refer to lunch time as the meat market.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit