one reason for the dumbing down of the org

by Magnum 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BU2B
    BU2B

Even the COs used to lament how the Rank and File wanted a rule for everything. What movies to watch, what job to take etc. Even in the few "conscience" matters, they want a rule. They love the yoke of slavery.

Decidig for yourself the right decision would be too hard. It would require spiritual maturity, brain power, and effort. Being told what to do is much easier. Thats why Listen, Obey and be Blessed is sticking as a successful mantra. Its simple, easy, and if you follow it, you get to eat fruit bowls and play with lobotomized former apex predators. Just imagine owls and bald Eagles behaving like pigeons.

Just like the old WT said, “In Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing, …” Watchtower 1967 Jun 1 p.338

This is the mentality. Any intelligence is discouraged. If you ask questions that make them think or they cant answer, they will say, "your too smart for your own good. Its like the religious version of the movie Idiocracy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

BU2B - "Deciding for yourself the right decision would be too hard. It would require spiritual maturity, brain power, and effort. Being told what to do is much easier. Thats why Listen, Obey and be Blessed is sticking as a successful mantra."

Good catch.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Thanks Vidiot. No need for any effort when alls you have to do is look up what to do in a given situation on the WT Library. Most though are to lazy even for that. They would rather just ask Brother Elder.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Vidiot - As crazy as it seems, I'm actually with you and believing that the GB is working toward a culling of the fence-sitters. I believe the template is Rutherford's presidency when his many reforms lead to the exodus of the majority of Bible Students leaving behind only Watchtower-loyalists. Lately I'm wondering if their insane instructions that don't seem reasonable or practical are field tests. (Such as instructing congregations in the Atlanta ara to go to assigned MARTA stations to ride public transporation to the convention.)

Freddy Franz has been mentioned as one of the last of the Watchtower's theological brain-trusts. It has been rumored that he may have been the ghostwriter for much of Rutherford's "rainbow".

It seems to me that people like Dunlap and Ray Franz should have been the next to carry the torch. But these men where kicked out during the apostacy scares of the 1980's. Having any kind of belief outside of established doctrine (even if not advocated) became the highest sin against Jehovah imaginable.

As Freddy neared his end leftovers in the writing department didn't seem to be the wavemakers. They more or less stuck to the established doctrine, only making Band-Aid changes to fix expiring beliefs (generation numerous times), justify organization changes (nethinin helpers), or respond to outside pressure (non-military service).

The rank and file also dumbs down.

It used to be that publishers were trained to refute "false doctrine". Study publications like the "Live Forever" book used to go to lengths to tear down teaching like the immortality of the soul or the trinity. It was determined that JW's needed to only know how to teach their doctrine, so this material was moved to an appendix in the back of the "What Does the Bible Teach?" book. Now the GB is training JW's to use iPads to Witness using JW.ORG, which is basically a return to the phonograph/testimony card form of Witnessing during Rutheford's day. A monkey could do it.

In Russell's day congregation Bible study groups were open for discussion. This goes away with the qustion and answer style study. Still home book study groups offered a decent opportunity to go deeper into the source material. Home book study groups are abandoned in favor of covering the material in a condensed fasion at the Kingdom Hall. Conductors are encouraged to stick to the source material. Publisher comments are marginally reworded quotes directly from the assigned material.

Meanwhile you have this major anti-intellectual rhetoric coming from headquarters. A University education is only suitable if the degree is useful to the Watchtower, such as in the legal or architectural fields. Independent study of the Bible, and learning Biblical Greek or Hebrew, is even condemned. The rhetoric against apostacy intensifies to levels not seen since the early 80's. The GB assumes the role of the Faithful & Discreet Slave and sole channel for Bible truth. Having any belief out of variance with what is preached by the GB is apostacy.

"Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed" displaces "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" as the unofficial organizational anthem.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Now the GB is training JW's to use iPads to Witness using JW.ORG, which is basically a return to the phonograph/testimony card form of Witnessing during Rutheford's day.

It's interesting that you say that (I had the same thought myself when it was demo'd from the stage) because at the recent convention, one speaker explicitly said "This is not a return to the phonograph, only with updated technology, rather ..." I don't fully remember how he tried to spin it, but I think the jist was that this is a huge technological advancement or whatever. Whatever it was, he in no way refuted the fact that this is, indeed, a return to the phonograph, just with modern technology.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

DONUTHOLE: "Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed" displaces "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" as the unofficial organizational anthem.

Anthony, my mouth dropped open when I read that line! That is sad.....so sad.....but true.

They don't even grasp it happening.

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Donuthole - "As crazy as it seems, I'm actually with you and believing that the GB is working toward a culling of the fence-sitters."

It's not all that crazy.

It's just a matter of getting one's head around the idea that constant growth isn't neccessarily the WTS's goal; survival is.

Downsizing assets and literature output are survival measures that have already been undertaken; downsizing membership is simply the next logical step.

Donuthole - "I believe the template is Rutherford's presidency when his many reforms lead to the exodus of the majority of Bible Students leaving behind only Watchtower-loyalists."

I don't know if Rutherford actually intended for that to happen; it was probably simply a manifestation of natural selection acting in a social environment.

That being said, Rutherford's reforms and the post-1975-80 "apostate" witch-hunts do set strong historical precedents, IMO.

Donuthole - "Lately I'm wondering if their insane instructions that don't seem reasonable or practical are field tests."

Precisely my thinking.

Even money says the WTS is gonna get even weirder in the near future as they struggle to survive in the Information Age; and that the weirdness will, in fact, increase exponentially.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Another good post, donuthole. Where have you been all this time? The board can use more of you.

"Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed" displaces "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" as the unofficial organizational anthem.

my mouth dropped open when I read that line! That is sad.....so sad.....but true.

Yeah, wow, I hadn't thought about that before.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Thank you.

It would really speak to the "dumbing down" if a song written for children actually becomes something of an anthem for them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LongHairGal - "By being 'targeted' what I mean is you would be asked for money, favors and everything else under the sun! And this would be not just by the dysfunctional people in the cong. but the elders also would see you as the go-to person when they are in a jam or want something."

Ah. Got it.

Arguably even worse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit