Kicking the "Gay Habit" at the IC

by breakfast of champions 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Heard from a reliable source that this was part of Friday's program. They even interviewed a "former gay man" who "kicked the gay habit".

Evidently kicking the "gay habit" is difficult, not unlike quitting smoking or avoiding sugary snacks.

The persons who related this to me found the whole thing to be laughable at best, but honestly seemed quite disturbed by it (which is good! It'll get them thinking)

I'm just amazed how at an International Convention celebrating the 100yr anniversary of God's See-Thru Kingdom, they decide what's really important is discussing what less than 2% of the population do in bed.

Anyone else have this talk/experience at their RC/IC?

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

What I remember from the magazines was that you just need to find a female and pray, and that's that.

I think the 'former gay man' was probably a bi-sexual man. Or going through a phase.
    Their continued misunderstanding of sexuality is frightening, quite frankly.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

So being gay is a habit? That will surprise a lot of gay people, now they can just start practicing heterosexuality and not be gay. Who knew it was that easy? I guess all the gay JWs that got disfellowshipped and lost family, did it for nothing, not to mention those who killed themselves. They just had to pray the gay away.

All kidding aside, you just have to read a few experiences from gay ex JWs to know that this is complete nonsense. Either the experience is completely made up, or the guy is not gay, or he is getting some on the down low.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Evidently kicking the "gay habit" is difficult

Probably not nearly as difficult as the governing body trying to quit the "I'm a big asshole" habit.

they decide what's really important is discussing what less than 2% of the population do in bed

Ironically, this criticism comes from Jehovah's Witnesses, a group that makes up less than 1% of the population.

• designs
    designs

A lot in common with Gov. Rick Perry.....

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The 'gay habit'? Wow, that is some way to phrase it.

Hopefully someone got that on tape and will have it on Youtube shortly.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So being gay is equating with eating sugary snacks? Nothing like saying, "Hey, same-sex activities may be as much fun as eating cotton candy at an amusement park filled with attractive people that want to be your friend, but you need to walk away from it and commit to a loveless marriage to a pioneer partner."

"gay habit" - Is that the dudes that dress up in drag as nuns?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This has been pushed by other religious organizations, which is that you can just prey the gay away because after

all its just a sin that Satan and wicked demons has implanted on to individuals.

Nothing is said that people are actually born gay.

In most Muslim countries like Iran they publicly execute gay men as it says so in the Quran their holy book

which was written 1500 years ago.

Kind of reminds you of what the ancient Hebrews once did 2000 years ago.

Nice to see people emulating the social moral standards of ancient civilizations like the Hebrews and the Muslims.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It important to realize that many men and woman have left the JW religion for its anti-gay position,

some even leaving woman (or men) they had married while being a part of the religious organization.

They will never come out and say that in a talk at a Assembly or Kingdom Hall though.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just to clarify:

The speaker at the convention used the expression "kick the gay habit".

In my commentary, however, I sarcastically stated it must be difficult to kick the "gay habit" - like quitting smoking or avoiding sugary snacks. Those are my words, not the speakers.

Sorry if that caused confusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit