400 Million Atoms Know What to do at the same time

by seekchristonly 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Really, genuine inquiry? Then why don't you answer any of my questions? I have not detected any depth yet.

• cofty
    cofty

SCO - You get called a troll because you never hold conversations. You ignore intelligent replies, attack people who are trying to help you, call others names and then start three new threads.

You are everything that is bad about internet forums.

Snowbird - The following books will keep you enthralled ...

"The Epigenetics Revolution" by Nessa Carey

"Nature via Nurture" by Matt Ridley

"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B Carroll

"The Making of the Fittest" also by Sean B Carroll.

If you lived closer I would lend them to you.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Why is the sky blue, daddy?

If you don't know the answer, does that mean God did it?

If so, then you won't want to read this:

Why is the sky blue?

It is easy to see that the sky is blue. Have you ever wondered why? A lot of other smart people have, too. And it took a long time to figure it out!

blue sky

The light from the Sun looks white. But it is really made up of all the colors of the rainbow.

prism

A prism is a specially shaped crystal. When white light shines through a prism, the light is separated into all its colors.

If you visited The Land of the Magic Windows, you learned that the light you see is just one tiny bit of all the kinds of light energy beaming around the Universe--and around you!

Like energy passing through the ocean, light energy travels in waves, too. Some light travels in short, "choppy" waves. Other light travels in long, lazy waves. Blue light waves are shorter than red light waves.

Visible light spectrum

All light travels in a straight line unless something gets in the way to—

• reflect it (like a mirror)

• bend it (like a prism)

• or scatter it (like molecules of the gases in the atmosphere)

Sunlight reaches Earth's atmosphere and is scattered in all directions by all the gases and particles in the air. Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. This is why we see a blue sky most of the time.

Your perspective

Closer to the horizon, the sky fades to a lighter blue or white. The sunlight reaching us from low in the sky has passed through even more air than the sunlight reaching us from overhead. As the sunlight has passed through all this air, the air molecules have scattered and rescattered the blue light many times in many directions. Also, the surface of Earth has reflected and scattered the light. All this scattering mixes the colors together again so we see more white and less blue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Source: US NASA

NASA logo

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

and calling others names is converstation. Ok i get what u r saying. So Sean Carroll is the truth on these things according to you.Is that right

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The problem is that you want everyone to respond to your question, when your questions are not answerable in any intelligent way.

Your thought process seems to be: Science is mysterious >I don't understand it> therefore God done it

You throw out gibberish questions and then don't listen to the answers, because you want everyone to agree that God done it.

If you are really interested, get a basic book on science. Scientists study their subjects for years, someone with an advanced degree has been at it for eight years or more, just to get to that point, then may work in their field for thirty years. Yet you want to make the ridiculous assertions that the atoms somehow "know" how to make DNA, like they all had a meeting and voted to be DNA today, and obviously that's crazy, so God done it.

Do you really think you understand DNA better than the thousands of people who make its their life's work? You want to reject all science because at some point our knowledge increased and we understood something better? Yes, scientific knowledge is always evolving, but basic knowledge in most fields is not junked and replaced by new and different theories, it's just that as time goes on, new discoveries are made and they build on what was previously known.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

"Why is the sky blue"

Best answer I've heard to this (non-scientific, of course), is from the old sit-com, Night Court.

Crazy man in courtroom: "Why is the sky blue?"

Judge Harry Stone: "Because if it were green, we wouldn't know where to stop mowing."

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

Im asking how do 400 million atoms know where to go at the right time and what to do

• cofty
    cofty

Explain your question then. Where exactly are you getting this number from? 400 million atoms is a tiny number of atoms. Do you nkow what an atom is? Do you mena molecules or neucleotides? What is "a strand of DNA"? How big a strand do you have in mind?

I think you are confused - again.

Are you asking about the origins of DNA?

What research have you done so far? Would you like some hints on where to find the answer?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think jgnat's answer was perfectly satisfactory. "How do dominoes know when to fall?" Your answer was that the first one has to be pushed. Of course that's true for cells too. The first cell needed a push, something to kickstart the chemical processes which we call life. After that, the rest of the world's cells were just copies that followed more or less the same reactions as the first cell.

Where did the first cell's energy come from? There's a few theories on that. It could have come from the heat of the sun's rays, or from geothermal energy in a deep sea vent. Think about a brushfire; when it gets too hot, sunny and dry, the fire starts on its own (well, besides the ones that arsons start) and continues burning and spreading until it's put out or it runs out of available kindling.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am not a scientist, I have no special science knowledge at all, but this is my understanding of it.

Atoms don't "know" anything, they just do what atoms do. They bounce around until they meet another atom, if the chemistry is right, they bond, just like hydrogen bonds with oxygen to form H2O, water. DNA is comprised of groups of nucleotides, nucleotides are composed of a nitrogen containing nucleobase, a sugar and a phosphate. The nucleotides chain together by covalent bonds. Covalent bonds are when two atoms share the same electron pair, the sugar of one nucleotide bonds to the phosphate of the next. Again, just doing what atoms do, no thought involved.

Most DNA consists of two biopolymer strands coiled around each other to form the familiar double helix of DNA. It turns out these strands are very useful for encoding the genetic instruction for the development and instructions of all known living things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit