No TARPS Allowed (or large umbrellas).

by problemaddict 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Maybe this was already covered here. I've been absent a bit more than usual.

At Qualcomm stadium, home of the Chargers and the "special arrangement" with San Diego which means they use the venue for free, you are not allowed to bring a tarp in the 80 degree sunshine, nor a large umbrella.

Mercifully however, you may bring a small one person umbrella you can hold or perhaps vice to the seat, but if someone asks you to take it down, you are to oblige.

San Diego is freaking out over this I can assure you. People with babies/kids are going to have a rough time. It will probbaly be mild, but still pretty warm this weekend. The reasons you ask? Well I am glad you did. Here is what I have heard.

1) So new ones can see the program and the expansive size of the brotherhood.

2) We are using the jumbotron so everyone can see (wouldn't that be a reason to not have this in place?)

3) The regional will be more visual that usual.

4) That many tarps and umbrellas does not give law enforcement a good line of sight to spot possible terrorist activities or potential issues (seriously......someone told me this)

5) This way people lining up in the morning can be more relaxed and not so uptight about finding a seat sicne it won't matter (ummmmm......yeah its going to matter WAY more as they trounce each other for seats in the shade.

This is hilarious!

• steve2
    steve2

Actually, given the reasons you provided, I do not think the instructions are hilarious at all. I'd take security over comfort any day. Besides, caring parents can always decide to limit the time they spend with their children at the convention. The last time I looked the Bible verses on attending conventions said something like, "Before your little ones turn beetroot red in the blazing midday sun, bundle them up and leave...and go to the nearest McDonald's like all sensible parents and happy children do during heatwaves". Sounds excellent Scriptural advice to me. Best of all, no TARPS necessary.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

You're right Steve. How could I overlook the emminent threat of terrorism at the convention. How silly. Good thing all of the police and feds that will undoubtedly be present will have a clear "line of sight".

I do of course agree, McDonalds would be time better spent......and I HATE McDonalds. :)

• AnneB
    AnneB

Back in the day, Dodger Dtadium in Los Angeles was used for conventions and upward of 60,000 people would attend. Daily temperatures would reach the 90's or even past 100F. There we would sit, baking, mom and kids, no money for tarp or umbrellas.

The people aound us had them though, and woe betide the person who complained when tarp rope or umbrella spokes cut across seat space, especially if that seat was occupied by a child. "You don't mind, do you?" Yes, we minded, but it was "untheocratic" to argue with a "brother" or "sister", so sunburned people sat sideways or forward in their seats, adding to their misery. The worst part was seeing many empty seats in the shade under the tarps, seats that were never shared with unfortunates or their children.

Ever try to leave your seat and make your way down a row past gigantic umbrellas, tarp poles, and ropes, then have to face the same infuriated faces upon your return?

I'm glad they're forbidden. Just call it part of the "equalizing"...

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Well.....I didn't realize the tarp hate that was out there. I clearly misjudged my audience. :)

I took it as yet another authoritarian, don't look at that llok at us, fear mongering, weird way to try to tell people to "buck up". I had tarps or umbrellas, and anyone was welcome underneath. The fact that all must bake is pretty ridiculous. That fact it is being mandated is even moreso. This isn't a ballgame......its a 10 hour slug.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

caring parents can always decide to limit the time they spend with their children at the convention.

You must be shitting me Steve..............don't you know that GOD says they have to be there before during and after? Little ones too!

Doc

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

....and don't forget in their seats for the music arrangements so lovingly provided.

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

Dodgers Stadium was AWEFUL in the heat. (There was also the stupid parking lot that took forever to get out of, so you would swelter in your car) We didn't have any cover for several years. But, when we finally did, we were nice enough to share with people...

I remember they would have everyone take them down during the dramas... I'm ridiculously pale... I blister in seconds. My regular everyday sunscreen is SPF 70... Even with that I burn and am prone to heat sickness. It was aweful. I was so ridiculously happy when they stopped going to Dodgers and went to Long Beach Convention Center. Air conditioning...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Bring spray bottles filled with ice. As it melts, you can spray cold water on yourself and your charges.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

AnnaB ... Dodger Stadium in 1971 July had 83,000 attendance. It took an hour to get out of the parking lot.

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit