Has anyone ever saved another persons life?

by LogCon 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

I was at a birthday party for a friend's kid. Lots of people I didn't know there. I was having a few beers when I noticed one kid about 8 was holding another kid about 3 under water in the pool. I got a running start and cleared about half the pool as I jumped in. I grabbed the kid who was under water and blue and threw him on to the edge of the pool. When his back hit the ground, water shot from his mouth, he started breathing again and his normal color returned. I turned around to yell at the other kid and saw blood everywhere. Evidently (TM), my elbow caught the little shit in the face. His parents acted like I owed the attempted murderer an apology. He received none and I was never invited back. The blue kid's parents were grateful though.

I was working in a mill once which had its own generator which produced 230kv. I watch a guy get to close to the field. When I tried to yell at him he caught an arch from about 8 ft away from the wires. Another guy and I used CPR for about 5 min until the mill medic arrived. He was throughly cooked, but returned to work about a year later with a limp.

A neighbor once fell off his tractor and the implement ran over his leg and almost removed it. I wrapped his leg in a towel and called for help. I was the only person around for miles. If I wouldn't have noticed a driverless tractor running across my fence he would have died.

• James Brown
    James Brown

When I worked at the county jail. I was in a cell with 30 inmates by myself.

There were multiple incidents codes thru out the facility.

8 inmates decided to attack one.

I called a code blue on my radio and started throwing the attacking inmates out of the cell

as fast as I could thorw them out others would come back in.

Finally back up arrived. The attacked inmate was very grateful to me.

And I got a good reputation among all the inmates.

More times than I can count, I saved inmates who were trying to hang/ strangle themselves.

I would call a code/ back up and go in the cell and remove the linen from around their neck.

Sometimes I would hold the body up, relieving the weight from around their neck and someone

else would cut them down.

Last summer I walked into a music store and was asked if I knew first aid/cpr.

I said I did. I went back to a teaching room and found a music teacher unconcious sitting

in his chair. I couldnt find a pulse, I laid him on the ground and instructed his coworkers how to

compress his chest, while another gave him breaths.

He lived for 3 days after that.

I think he was dead when I got to him.

I took inmates to the hospital who tried to poison themselves. There was not a lot I could do about that except

to be there and supervise them.

One time I was riding down the highway and I saw a van go off the road and hit a telephone pole.

I stopped and the driver was not in the van. I looked for a while and found the driver down a ways on the side

of the road. In shock. He went through the window. I got a blanket and put it under his legs to raise them.

Others had stopped by this time and called 911.

He was alive and convulsing when I found him but he died sometime latter.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I once used my Theocratic Ministry School training to leave a copy of the AWAKE! in a laundromat; I felt good knowing that I just might have saved a stranger from Armageddon.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I did a few years ago. It was a surreal experience. I learned the man who i helped died about 18 months later.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/183814/1/I-helped-save-someones-life-today

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

FlyingHighNow - He has been my ex for about 10 years. 10 happy years :)

I love ready everyone stories. I think everyday heroism is more common than we realised!

• Mikado
    Mikado

as a young teenager I ran in front of a bolting horse and cart and pulled a child to safety. I don't believe at the time I had any conception of how close to death I came. the horse was terrified and couldn't stop , I felt her breath on me, so we must have been close...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I lent my windsurfer to an elder in the 1990's, I must have been about 21. I was watching as he had an epileptic fit and fell off the board, sinking to the bottom of the lake where we were. Luckily he was only a few meters from shore at the time and the water was only about 1 meter deep. I ran in and pulled him out, surprised at how heavy he was, he was like a stone on the bottom. It really shook me up, as the lake is very deep and if it had happened when he was further out I would never have been able to reach him.

It affected our friendship, as he felt very embarrassed about it and never the same around me. He also never thanked me, but a few weeks later he called me asked that I not judge him, as I must think that if the same thing happened when he is driving he could kill someone. I had not even thought about that before he brought it up.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Sorta. Not sure if this counts but when my mom returned from overseas travels I waited aLOOOONG time for her to get off the plane and when Ifinally saw her, she was in a wheelchair. She looked like death warmed over (barely).She wanted to eat something and was able to walk once we got to the car in the parking garage so we drove to a Wendy's at her insistence. I wanted to take her straight to the hospital. She had taken ill on her vacation and somehow they let her on the plane when she was clearly (to me) critically ill.

At Wendy's she told me a litte of what had happened and how much pain she had and was unable to eat or evacuate. She wanted the icecream but that wasn't happening. I told her I wanted to take her straight to the hospital and she tried to insist on going home and just seeing her doctor in the morning. I told her that I didn't want them trying to take a gurney down the steep stairs from her cliffside house and risk the necks of innocent EMTs( I was trying to make a joke of it), but I seriously didn't think she would live to the next day. I took her to the hospital ER and told the nurse at triage that she had had a small heart attack in her 30's and was having chest pain (everything hurt and I knew that otherwise she could be hours from an exam (mothers day, sunday) She had had a ruptured colon several days prv (Wed, Ithink is when they figured it happened) and had severe peritonitis. Dr. said she would not hav survived the night. So, in a way I saved her life (she would have toughed it out to save$45 ER co pay)

• earthfire
    earthfire

Cool thread. When I was 16 I saved my little brother from choking on candy. Poor little guy was blue, scared me to death and humbled me. If I hadn't been on the phone he never would have gotten into the candy in the first place. But I remember it was like someone tapped on my shoulder and alerted me that Ryan wasn't making any noise in the next room. I feel like there was an angel watching over us.

Another time we were at the beach (in Florida) and for some odd reason my cousin Louie and I swam out really far from shore. Something we never did. But we were the farthest people out. We were just hanging out when out of no where come three little kids floating passed us screaming for help. Two girls were on a giant inner tube and one of the girls was holding on to one of those tiny rafts that her little brother was on. These kids were only about 5-7 years old. They were scared to death and it took everything Louie and I had to haul them back to shore. We got after them so that they wouldn't take inflatable's on the water again. But they were safe and that's all that really mattered. I don't know for sure if we saved their lives but it always felt like we we're put there for that reason on that day. I was always so wary of sharks that I never went out that deep but on that day I wasn't scared at all. :-)

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Yes.. my own about maybe times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit