Has anyone ever saved another persons life?

by LogCon 33 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Don't smoke and only eat grass fed beef with a focus on fibrous greens as carbohydrates along with fats such as fish oil, coconut oil, and raw olive oil........there.......I have saved coutless lives on this forum.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

My gluttonous JW ex husband stuffed his face with to much chewy steak and started choking at the dinner table. Without a second thought I jumped up and preformed the heimlech and the peice of steak flew across the table. Everyone else at the table was still sitting stunned. I sobbed a little after cause it was rather tramatic.

I joke that I should have taken the insurance money, but even though he is an ex and a turd, I never wish death on anyone.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My ex husband saved two guys once. He was camping with a buddy, they both saw a guy go down a waterfall and fall into a whitewater pool. The water was swirling so much the guy couldn't get out. His buddy got there first and tried to get him but slipped in himself as it was all slippery rock, nothing to grab on to. My ex found a big stick, then lay down on his stomach so he wouldn't fall in as well. His buddy was able to grab the stick and then he tried to get the other guy, but he kept going under. He was ready to give up and save himself when the guys backpack popped up, he managed to grab it and my ex got them both it. The guy knew he was moments from death, he was pretty grateful.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I took a knife out of someone's hand, who was about to stab another person. The person with the knife was unstable/mentally ill and other other person was was antagonizing her. Never really thought much about it.

I've saved a choking person. Guess adrenalin just made me swoop in and do it. I just felt relieved and like I did what anyone else would do in the same situation.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

FirstLastName, how long has he been your ex?

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

A young Chinese kid was drowning in a pool at a resort in Florida. He was weakly yelling for help, in Chinese, which nobody understood. A sunbathing woman came up to me and asked 'Do you think that kid is drowning?' Up until that moment I was as oblivious as everyone else. Being a very good swimmer I jumped in and grabbed him and with the help of the sunbathing woman, dragged him out of the water. Poor kid just lay on the pool deck gasping for air.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Yes, I had forgotten, ... it was so very long ago. It's not one of those things I really like to think about ...

I once prevented someone with a loaded gun from shooting another person. It was quite surreal at the time, and the person whose life I saved never even knew that she was almost killled.

The only thing that prevented the man with the gun from pulling the trigger was my threat of killing him if he did. He didn't care about the girl--it was just sport for him--but he was scared for his own pathetic ass. I actually could not have stopped him from killing her, I could only have ended his life after he had shot her. My only play was my threat. In truth, had he shot her, it wouldn't have been easy to kill him; it would have been brutal, and the outcome was not as certain as my threat implied. But apparently it was enough. It was just a game to him and I upped the ante more than he was willing to wager. He stood down and gave me back my gun. Yes, it was my gun.

I was, at the time, an angry and confused young man living in a world that was spinning out of control. The exact circumstances of this bizarre situation are difficult to explain, but I have shared the salient details relevant to this thread.

When this happened, it was just a few years before I started studying with JWs. I really wanted out of my life of violence and chaos. The Witnesses seemed to promise something better. I was naive and vulnerable. I wanted something better and they said they had it. They lied. I will never forgive them for that.

I now know that I did a good and courageous thing when I saved that girl's life, and I did it without "knowing Jehovah." I didn't need religion to be good. I was good. I am good. That's who I am. God doesn't have anything to do with it. It's all me.

I can't recall ever doing anything half as courageous as that in the three decades I was a Witness.

My next courageous act was when I left this religion.

My life has been full of heroic acts ever since; but as before, most of them are "under the radar" and the people that are affected seldom know.

Life is funny that way.

I'm not sure what to say to you LogCon. You have made me remember things that I'm not sure I wanted to remember, and the people I've saved along the way don't even know.

By the way, no Watchtowers were ever involved in the saving of anyone's life, at least not in my experience.

--

--

• blondie
    blondie

First person at a car accident...used my training to stabilize the driver until EMT arrived,

Did an intervention on a co-worker who took it to heart...really saved herself...but it was gratifying to see that people could succeed....25 years and counting.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

When I was 20, I saved two lives. It was during the International Assemblies in 1973. I had volunteered as a night guard at Twickenham (west of London) so didn’t get to hear much of the sessions as I was half asleep. So, as was common in those days (still is for all I know), you went to a second assembly to sit back and ‘enjoy’ the fine spiritual food. I went to Dublin, which turned out to be ironic because you could hardly hear a thing at the RDS. They had strung up speakers to virtually every pillar in the place and it sounded like a large train station with a dozen tannoys, all slightly out of sinc with each other.

Anyway, I joined a tour to the Wicklow mountains and we stopped at some picturesque spot to view the scenery. The tour guide warned us to be careful when going down this slope to get a better view of the gorge as the gradient drops rapidly, and under no circumstance should you run as you wouldn’t be able to stop and would quickly loose control.

The area was quite wooded with a path heading downwards. I started down it and the edge of the precipice must have been about 50-60 yards away, so I started a little trot, which soon became a run and I soon realised I was losing control, I couldn’t stop, so I learnt backwards and skidded down the rapidly increasing gradient – dust and stones were flying everywhere. After about 20-30 feet I came to a halt and thought, ‘wow, that guy wasn’t kidding’.

I looked back to be faced with a young lad about 12-13, eyes bulging, a look of terror on his face, hurtling toward me and ready to topple. I braced myself, leaned forward and did a rugby tackle around his waist as he ploughed into me, and we slid another 20-30 feet down the slope in another cloud of dust and stones. No sooner had we stooped there was a second kid, travelling even faster, with the same look of terror, but who also happed to be much bigger than his mate. I did the same tackle and we must has slid about 40-50 feet this time. We probably finished about 10 yards or so from the precipice, and I am convinced that if I hadn’t stopped them neither would have survived – the drop must have been a couple of hundred feet onto rocks and boulders.

They never said thanks, and I never saw them again (they must have been on a different coach to me). I have often wondered what became of them. Did they have a good and fulfilled life? Did they ever tell anyone about it? I didn’t, not even at the time, and nobody else saw it. But I didn’t feel heroic or anything. I guess I felt a bit disappointed that I couldn’t boast about it, but I knew the lads knew, and I also knew Jehovah had seen it and would reward me somehow, especially if I kept humbly quiet. On reflection, it was probably my fault in the first place, for starting to run. I guess they were just following me.

• androb31
    androb31

I don't know if my intervention saved this man's life but I do know it spared him from major harm at least.

I was hiking up the Incline in Manitou Springs Colorado which is 1 mile but climbs 2,000 vertical feet. I was about halfway up and my brother who was

about 30 feet ahead of me pointed to a guy that was sitting down on one of the railroad ties that serves as a step of sorts. He said to keep an eye

on him. Just then I looked at him, he stood up and his eyes rolled back in his head and he went unconscious and fell head first down the trail. It's

about a 45 degree angle and he went into an out right facefirst slide right in my direction, his face bouncing off every railroad tie on his way down. It

looked very painful. Luckily I was able to brace myself and catch him just feet from impaling his face on a 6-8 inch peice of exposed rebar. Poor guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit