Has anyone ever saved another persons life?

by LogCon 33 Replies latest jw friends

• LogCon
    LogCon

I don't mean you advised them and they changed their lives around, kind of saving a life.

I mean right before your eyes, right now, you had to do something to save a person or they would be dead.

How did it make you feel? Did it have any affect on you?

Forty years ago I was working on a construction site and a back-hoe had loosened a large boulder. Being as we were working on a sub-division with steep slopes the boulder started rolling down the hill. No one saw it except me. I was directing the installation of a concrete catch basin ring and a worker named Dave was in the excavation hole, helping to align it onto the lower ring. I looked up and saw the boulder coming, directly toward the excavation. I shouted, 'Dave, get out of there now.' He looked at me and scrambled up the bank and out of the hole. Three seconds later the boulder, about 800 lbs. hit the concrete ring where he was standing and knocked a hole right through three inches of concrete. I thought about that incident through the years. I made me feel good. No hero stuff, but it always warmed a part of my heart, knowing he lived because I shouted a warning, AND, he moved immediately, not stopping to ask why?

• flipper
    flipper

LOGCON- Wow, what an experience you had. I'm glad you were there to warn your worker about the boulder. When my youngest daughter was a year old she began choking on a plastic fake leaf she had started to swallow and started turning blue unable to catch her breath. I got behind her and put my arms around her upper stoach are and did the Heimlich manuver on her and she coughed up the leaf as she was crying. But at least she was breathing again and lived to tell the story. Now she's 26 years old and as an avid JW she has shunned me for 11 years since I left the JW cult. Oh well. I still did the right thing. hopefully she'll grow up someday and exit the Witnesses.

Another experience I had was in 1983 on the stage at an assembly. An older " sister " who was 83 years old just sat down on the stage next to me after giving her part at the microphone and she fell back in her seat next to me slumping her head on my shoulder and had a massive heart attack in front of 2,000 people sitting in the audience. I motioned over to another " brother " sitting on stage with me to help me carry the older sister off the stage and we laid her down behind the curtain and a registered nurse who was a JW came back behind the stage and tried performing CPR on the older sister. After about 5 minutes she got her heart going again but she was brain dead and had trouble breathing on her own so was taken off life support after two weeks. It's an experience I will never forget as long as I live and even though it happened in 1983 I remember it like it was yesterday. Incredible

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Flipper I was at that assembly, she was a very kind and loving sister. She was in my life like family from my birth until her death.

• cofty
    cofty

No, but I have tried to save a young man following a car crash. (I was not involved in the crash) I am first aid trained but he was beyond help with a crushed sternum.

He had been thrown from his car and it rolled over him.

He passed away after about 10 minutes just before the ambulance arrived.

It was sad not being able to help but I had a conversation with his mother a while later and was able to reasssure her that he went peacefully.

• flipper
    flipper

GMA Tired 2- You were AT that assembly ? Wow ! So I guess you remember how deathly quiet it got out in the audience when me and the other " brother " carried her off the stage ! You could have heard a pin drop ! The audience gasped - I could hear them ! Years later I thought how disgusting it was when Conrad Bowman ( the brother doing the part ) just kept doing the part instead of breaking early for lunch. I mean it was right before lunch they could have just cut the program short as this lady was on her back dying behind the curtain - but oh no- the WT show must go on. It disgusted me once I realized what a scam the WT Society is. It really makes people lose their authentic empathy as humans. Hope you are doing well my friend. Why don't you PM me your phone number and we'll catch up sometime ? My mom just got put in an assisted care facility a month ago or so. Take care

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi Gma-tired2 Hi Flipper

I was out deep sea fishing with my dad. We were trolling. He was not wearing a life vest. I was standing next to him in the back of a 22 foot boat, when the boat, hit a wave and lurched. Dad lost his balance and was going over. I grabbed the back of his belt and held him, when he was in the air. Yes. I saved his life. My dad hated the water and was not a swimmer.

LL

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Came up on multi vehicle accident 1:00am pickup truck with young adults in the cab and riding in the box hit a car headon. One young person laying in road. Came up to him and he was not breathing. My training kicked in and opened and cleared airway and he started breathing. Got another person to hold his head while I triaged the remaining injured. Felt good knowing all survived. Never did find out how everyone did. Privacy issues prevented hospital and ambulance staff from saying anything.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Brilliant thread.

Really made me think about how any of us can make a difference in this world. A bit of care and keeping our eyes open for others.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Well it wasn't me that saved someones life it was my BIL 'Uncle Sparky' who saved mine.

He and his wife were visiting me and my wife when we heard a commotion in the townhouse community we rented in. This was early evening wintertime in Fla and it was dark. I wondered what was going on because there was shouting and running so I went out the front door and started looking around..couldn't see anything. Sparky joined me so we walked down a short ally and turned a corner and this young guy turned another corner and we were face to face. He was pointing a knife at me and shouted if I was the guy that had just thrown a stone through his car window and hit his girlfriend. I said no and get the hell off this property and I started towards him when Sparky held me back and got between him and me. Sparky is a big dude and fit but that knife was waving around........ they had a stare down then there was a shout and the guy turned away and ran back around the building........ we heard screams. We followed and saw somebody laying in the grass and these guys running away. My wife came flying out the back door of our apartment and we both realized that it was a neighbor of ours and he had been stabbed multiple times and he was bleeding to death. He died in my wife's arms as she tried to comfort him.

We had to go down to the police station and identify the killer in a line up which we did.

I firmly believe that Sparky was the cooler head and I know he put himself between me and that knife.

We were both EX JW's at that point starting our lives over.

• jam
    jam

1967 VietNam, Bob Hope show. It was unsafe for the show to come to our area,

so those who were off duty that day could go to the show at another base.

I was off that day with three of my men. Three ships (helicopters !st Cav Div)

from my company was selected to go (Dec.26, 1967). I don't know why but the

ship we were assign to fly on I had a bad feeling and so I made the decision

to fly on another chopper (my men and I)..

The 1st ship that we were assign went down, most of the crew and soldiers that

they picked up in the field perished. I wished I could had save more...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit