Jehovah's Witnesses: Hypocrisy on steroids

by Watchtower-Free 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very entertaining indeed. It was useful in the sense that I know I would never do that. But if I was a believing JWs, he would not have got me thinking. Kate xx

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

But if I was a believing JWs, he would not have got me thinking.

Maybe.

But, ask yourself: if you were a Catholic in the 1920's and you walked out of your church to be met by JWs (IBSA) picketing with signs that said "Religion Is A Snare and A Racket", would it have changed your mind? Most likely not. Yet, JWs did it anyway....and demanded everyone allow them their "right" to do so.

The actual effectiveness of the protest has little to do with a person's legal right to do it.

The hypocrisy of the JW stance on this subject is incredible considering their history.

• MissFit
    MissFit

I think he knew exactly what reaction he was going to get, and he got it. He knew other's opinions are not welcome.

DCMSHIRLEY: Great points. He was in a public area, he was not engaging other people but was talking to his camera.

I also agree about the hypocrisy aspect. I Jws fought for the right to express themselves.

I think the main initial objection was to the camera.

I know where I work we are sensitive to people taking pictures and videos because of safety and privacy issues. I work in a public place but we have a posted rules if conduct.

I would not like someone videoing my family without my permission.

• designs
    designs

I remember at Yankee Stadium a group of SDAs blocking one of the tunnels and handing out pamplets, damn near caused a riot with people panicking in the tunnel.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I would not like someone videoing my family without my permission.

Very true, and I feel the same way.

However, most of the time, in a public place, a person is legally allowed to do it. The JW attendants (thugs) at this convention obviously didn't like it, but the man was legally within his rights.

It may offend me that the KKK can hold public rallies, but I cannot legally stop them from doing it. It's the give/take of a free society.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Thanks DCMshirley, I was wondering about the right to video in public. I really liked the way the guy made the point about no contact and assault charges.

He knew his rights and used them against the attendants.

It is very hard to make someone go somewhere if you can't touch them in any way.

All the guy had to do is stop walking. Those brothers had no idea how to handle someone who was not "meek and sheep like".

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

I've attended parts of the JW Convention here in Tucson as an outsider a few times, because through circumstances i became interested in the org and its theology. I saw a lone guy with a sign; he was completely silent. So i wanted to chat with him, and find out who he was and tell him i agreed with his sign, etc. (BTW,i was wearing a dress) Well, i was astounded when suddenly two of those usher/thugs started hovering around me and the sign guy, and really got into my personal space! And there was a third one a few feet away. They were so creepy, saying things to me like - what are you doing, sister? Time to just go on in now. I started laughing at them, it was pathetic!

One actually tried to interpose himself between me and the guy with the sign! Now, remember i wasn't protesting or doing anything else.

The guy in the video had an immediate family member in the org for many years, if that gives some context.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Aunt bee: did you get to talk to the guy with the sign? What did the bros do when you laughed? They are used to being obeyed.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Yes, i did get to talk to the guy with the sign. He was polite, but didn't want to chat much. He has a philosophy of just wanting to present the sign, and thinks i'ts more effective if he's mostly silent.

They seemed a little befuddled when i didn't 'obey' them and laughed at them. But they kept trying by invading my space and acting all intimidating. weirdos. -- Another time two elders came to my house , because i asked some questions of ladies at a literature table, and made an appointment with them. Instead of the ladies, these elders showed up to kiss me off, and said the ladies won't be talking with me any more, basically. -- They had the same aura, like they thought they were someone. It's really astounding to someone on the outside, they seem like someone with narcissist personality disorder.

• MissFit
    MissFit

When we are on the inside, we do not realize how controlled we are. We are so used to the idea that we must follow instructions without question. We also have a persecution complex.

So any questioning can feed into that.

It is interesting hearing the perspective of an "out sider"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit