How do you shut your mind down so you can get a good night sleep???

by jam 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I had a couple of guided meditation cds I used. Witnesses use to be leary of meditation (not sure if they are anymore). You can get them where they are not called meditation, even though it is the same thing. Some of them are called guided relaxation. I have one called Journey into Deep Relaxation. It is 40 minutes long and corny as hell, but it works. Even if I was having a particularly hard night, I couldn't last 40 minutes listening to is and NOT falling asleep. I finally copied it to my computer and put it on my iPhone and use headphones. I still use it sometimes. I think they have some of those types of things on youtube, also.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

How about a bit of reverse psychology??

Tell yourself you cannot fall asleep until, say midnight but you can close your eyes. It works for me when I wake up in the early hours.

Chamomile tea. Valerian tablets or a nice single malt can work well. I also keep a pad and pen on the bedside table, to jot down anything that needs to be done or is bothering me.

Sweet dreams.

X

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Seriously, here is a quality answer to your question about what you should take when you can't go to sleep at night...

I am 70 years old. I've had a heart attack and quintuple bypass heart surgery. Last year I had a defibrelator / pacemaker installed. I take a half dozen pills each night that include aspirin, and three different heart medications. So needless to say, I must be very careful about what I eat and drink. A half grapefruit can kill me - seriously.

For several months I had been having a very rough time going to sleep at night. Being involved with AAWA and being the focus of a lot of criticism over that association, being slandered by Randy Watters after spending money and hundreds of hours setting up Freeminds2.org for him, and being abused by the Menlo Park elders and their spokesman, "John Steel," after supporting them for nearly two years and publicizing their case - I was pretty stressed out. Cap that off by being told by another well-known ex-JW spokesperson that I had befriended, spent time with, and even provided with funds for special purposes that I should not call or email ever again. All of that tends to take the wind out of your sails and make you lose both your enthusiasm for the cause but also a lot of sleep.

Even going to bed at 3 AM after a full day of mental and physical exercise could not defeat all of the demons in my head and let me get some sleep. I would toss and turn, doze off and then wake up again within minutes and then my mind would start working all over again.

I had to find a solution to find a way to go to sleep.

One day while at my cardiologist for a regular checkup, he asked if I was having any pain, cramps, etc. I told him that I could not go to sleep at night and it was wearing me down. Without a moment's hesitation he turned to his assistant and said, write him a prescription for Melatonin. Then he told me that I didn't need the prescription because it was available over-the-counter. The prescription was just a tool for me to remember what to look for. He assured me that even with all of my health problems that I could take 5mg of Melatonin every night 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed and I would sleep like a baby. And there would be no negative side effects, even with my other medications and advanced health problems.

I went to my pharmacy and bought some rather expensive 3mg capsules that worked. But then I went to my local Safeway store and found some 5mg capsules that were very cheap, about $8 per bottle of 70 (NatureMade). I later found an even better deal on Amazon for that same brand with 103 capsules per bottle and 3 bottles for less than $25 (shipped free with Prime).

Beyond the minimal expense - they work - boy do they work! Not only that, but even on nights when I don't take a pill I find sleep comes on quicker (some residual effect because some of the medication remains in the blood stream.

Although my cardiologist assures me that there is nothing in Melatonin at over-the-counter dosages that can harm me, you, of course - should you be on special medications or have an unusual medical condition - should confirm with your own physician that Melatonin would be a safe solution to your sleeplessness.

Very few OTC medications other than Melatonin and Loratidine (for allergy) really work for me - but they both do and amazingly well.

That's my story and my suggestion. You may now resume slinging arrows in my direction and call me nasty names. I'll just crawl into bed and pull up the covers...

JV

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

My problem is: I go to sleep easily enough, but then wake about 3:00 am with my mind buzzing with stuff I'm currently studying, and can't get back to sleep. Its not to bad in warm weather - I can get up and write, but its hell in cold weather.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Report back to me Jam....will ya....

FTS...do you sleep in a tent or what....

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

When I have to do this I take night time sleep aid that I get from Walmart. The ingredient is diphenhydramine. Knocks me right out. I used to take Extra Strength Benadryl for alergies and I discovered I had to take it at night because it put me to sleep, low and behold, it contains diphenhydramine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Nighttime-Mini-Caplets-Sleep-Aid-100-Ct/12444652

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Ambien. Super effective. I take it every night and have for several years. You must go to bed immediately after taking it or you may end up sleep eating, texting, having sex or whatever. Some people don't tolerate it well, but millions do. I wake up refreshed every morning. Without it my brain wakes me repeatedly or won't turn off.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I'm with Juan on the Melatonin. I don't have a problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. This stuff really helps (me) YMMV. Also, the only side effect I have is very lucid (very) dreams. Can't complain. If you have trouble falling asleep, try the breathing techniques mentioned. I can't even make it to 10, before having to start over. Also, not a cheap solution, but you might try testing a used Biomat to see if it works for you. I usually wake myself up after 20 minutes with the snoring.

If I can get 6-7 hours of solid sleep, I am a happy camper.

• jam
    jam

Again thanks to all you informed folks. I have a long list of

suggestions.... And Vanderhoven7 You folks will be the first to know,

6-7 hours sleep I will believe in miracles.LOL

• LV101
    LV101

I hear Benedryl works for most people - also, have heard the OTC non prescription people take when they fly/cruise to avoid nausea. Can't think of what it's called. Non habit forming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit