How do you shut your mind down so you can get a good night sleep???

by jam 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

sleep? what's that

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's cheaper to buy the Benadryl, it's the exact same ingredient as Unisom.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

We usually go for a walk in the neighborhood after supper. I've stopped getting on the computer/internet in the evening to look at work emails or JW stuff. This helps my mind can rest before lights out.

Insomnia can have multiple reason - anxiety, stress, depression. Eat light in the evenings. Get regular exercise.

ginger

• jam
    jam

Desirous:I will have to try Cabernet, as long as it don't make

me a wine-O. LOL

Vanderhovan: I will try that tonite, counting bakwards.

Found Sheep: I hear you, but we need our beauty sleep. I don't

have bags under my eyes I have suitcases..

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Sex, with or without a partner.

zed

• jam
    jam

LisaRose and all you guys, you are all so helpful, I mean it.

gingerbread: good point, stopped getting on the net before going

to bed. Some times I'm so upset after reading stories about the cult,

It does keep me awake.

• jam
    jam

zed: "Sex", What's that??

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I would suggest you start practicing some form of meditation. If you do it early in the morning, it will probably go unnoticed by your wife who might think that you are getting involved in spiritism, afterall, yoga is spiritism isn't it? (Don't tell that to my physical therapist...he would really be upset considering he is an atheist!)

There are many forms of meditation. Concentrating on your breathing, a zen form, is one of the most calming. As you draw in a breath, try to clear your mind. (Contrary to the JW mentality this DOES NOT open the channel to the demons, they are busy doing other things like possessing smurfs!) When you find your mind wandering, pull it back and concentrate on the breath. Breath through your nose if you can. First breath should be deep and full. Next breath normal, then fall into a rhythm of breathing counting each inhalation and exhalation as a breath, 1, 2, 3, 4,...unitl 10. Then start again, all the while bringing your concentration to the breath, especially when your mind wanders.

After a few days of this, your mind will readily fall into the pattern of clearing with the concentrated breath. As it becomes more of a pattern, you will find that when you lay down to sleep, you will concentrate on your breathing and your mind will relax...it will start to wander...bring it back with your breath. In time, your mind will quiet and nature will take over.

Take it from a person who suffered horribly from insomnia. It is a rare thing for me now not to be able to fall asleep when I go to bed.

SOP

• Batman89
    Batman89

Meditation! usually for abot 20 mins is fine

• Sherilynn
    Sherilynn

I just found that this works for me and my racing mind.

First realize that if you are awake worrying about issues in the future just remember that you are worrying about a non reality...you never know what is going to happen in the future it is just that the future. Try to stay in the present moment.

I have just started counting the ways I am grateful and I find myself falling asleep so much faster than counting sheep. I even have said I am grateful for the good orange I ate that day..grateful does not have to be big things just keep saying grateful for whatever and soon you are asleep. You could even just start listing how grateful you are about the various TTATT you have found, just lists dont get lost in the details.

Hope this works for you.

Peace & Love

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit