Being a JW Used to Be Fun :-)

by snowbird 63 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I never experienced that, Rub.

I heard about it from others who thought it was wonderful.

We're used to intense heat down here, though.

• talesin
    talesin

My summers were spent in the country, and field service was idyllic. My grandfather would pack a lunch, and the three of us would go to 'call on people' about twice a month. We drove down the winding 2-lane blacktop, along the seashore, for about 20 miles, and stopped at a house for a visit. Had tea, dropped off the mags, and a good visit was had by all. Then we would drive another half-hour or so, and stop for our picnic lunch. The day culminated in a visit to Mr. Language! He was an old man, Mr. Landridge, actually, but he made all kinds of animal sounds, and thus the nickname. He and the Mrs. would always welcome us with traditional down East hospitality, biscuits or cookies and tea.

If we drove in the 'other' direction, we would end up at Willy Krauch's smoked salmon place as our final 'return visit' of the day.

Of course, FS in the CITY was a whole 'nother matter.

As much as those memories with my grandparents are special, I can't say that I have any fondness for the 70s and field service, "real" field service. Some people were nice, and even here in the city we would get invited for tea sometimes on a cold winter's day. But by the time I was oh, 11 or 12, I had learned to hate it.

We had lots of parties - skating parties on the lakes, huge summer bbqs, weddings, you name it. I miss dancing and having fun like that - but worldly people always did that, too - and they were allowed to dance how they wanted! Not limited to polkas, waltzes and jive (though I love all dancing, come on - we had Motown and DISCO, and it was forbidden, ack!). So no, I feel no need to romanticize how 'good it was'. It sucked big time, even though there were (like in a bad marriage) good times as well.

:)

tal

• snowbird
    snowbird

I appreciate your input, Tal.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

We lived in Texas the first few years I was a JW and I remember a lot of fun times. We had people over for dinner at least once a week or went to someone elses house. We did a lot of fun activities. Then in 1988 we moved to Delaware and everything changed. People did not have each other over like they did in the south. There were periods of fun times the first few years but after that it all went down hill and so did my health. Out of 30 years I was in there were maybe 4 good years and that was it. I am so thankful I am out because my husband and I are enjoying our life and having fun again!!

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- Good points. I think it's gotten to the point that no one respects JW's anymore because the WT Society leaders who promote and push these bat $hit crazy teachings have become so criminal in justifying their faulty child abuse policies and other disgusting policies like no blood tranfusions in which innocent people die- is it any wonder JW's are really, really hated ? I have JW relatives and I hate what they have become based on WT leaders influence. Sometimes I'm even embarrassed and ashamed to admit I was raised in this crazy cult. But we are free now- and THAT is what counts. Take care sis

• snowbird
    snowbird

Aunt Fancy, far from being united in a common bond of love, JW's attitudes vary from place to place. The WT will vigorously deny this, but it is true.

Hi Flipper, and peace to you and yours.

I've heard people say that they would join JW's were it not for their foolish blood policy.

The WT has turned off many a good person!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I was a born in so I NEVER felt the fun part

• MissFit
    MissFit

I have a fond memory of our book study group when in the late 60's. I was around 5 or so. Our book study host family operated an apple orchard. They would make fresh apple cider and after the book study they would roll back their big braided rug and we would have a square dance.

The weekend before, everyone would get together and help pick the apples for the cider.

I remember when the book study was at our house when I was 10 0r 11. I would always make English toffee for afterwards. Everyone would stick around afterwards and us kids would play outside. It seemed like you got to know each other more.

Now you can go for years at the same congregation and hardly know anyone.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

ShirleyW, I think many of us were born-ins. We had plenty of fun because we lived out in the country! I feel for anyone who grows up in a city.

But yeah, I forgot about the picnics, those were great. And the book study could be quite pleasant when it was in the right home, too. People would stick around and chat for a good long while after the study.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Are you getting sentimental snowbird?

Dont open your heart too much, or you will find yourself wanting to go back....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit