A Thread for Cyclists - Where Do you Ride?

by cofty 67 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

Great effort Frazz. 100 Km is a big challenge. 20ish miles is as far as I have cycled so far. My bike weighs a little bit less than a Ford Transit! I find cycling good for my knees too. As long as it is adjusted for size and I resist trying to push too hard in high gears.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Gypsy Sam,

Is that MacGregor Blvd. near the Edison Home?

HappyDad

• HappyDad
  • HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hmmmm.....wonder what happened to all of my titles an sentences? Anyhow, I did a lot of riding on the Greater Allegheny Passage in Western Pennsylvania with my Trek. The pictures are along the Yougogheny River. The ride was always enjoyable.

HappyDad

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Some impressive photos and cycling times Cofty. You will be surprised to learn that I am not really a gladiator. I am a cyclist but mostly only to get into town and back. I live in Worthing on the south coast, West Sussex.

There are a lot of cyclist here as it is flat and easy to cycle around. Most own cars as well. We wear a rucksack for shopping. My bike is a very standard type. To walk takes 30 minutes; on the bike 6. Yes, like my post, I really am that boring.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Have always thought about riding from Miami to Key West ... about 160 miles (265 km). Would be a beautiful ride with the Atlantic Ocean on the left and the Gulf of Mexico on the right. Probably overnight mid-way around Key Largo or Islamorada.

But with the lack of bike paths in most areas here and so many drivers from countries that don't respect bikers, I just cannot get the nerve to do it. Bikers here get killed too often even when in groups.

Would love to try it though.

Rub a Dub

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the Thread Cofty, and all who have contributed thus far. You all have made me hanker to get my old bike out and get pedalling again.

About 20 years ago I bought a state of the art (then) Caude Butler mountain bike. It has 21 gears, I have fitted a comfortable saddle, but have not ridden it for about a decade, laziness mainly.

I have slightly dodgy knees and a really dodgy back, a dammaged disc etc, but I found cycling kind to the knees and very good for my back, surprisingly, at least to me, perhaps you guys know this is so.

The bike has one major fault, whenever I try to cycle past a Pub it screeches to a halt !

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the pictures Happy Dad, the Yougogheny river looks perfect.

Wasn't Allegheny where the Watchtower got started?

Gladiator - I wish it was flat around here. I have to climb hills everywhere. I'm learning to get up out the saddle and power up the really steep bits. Thighs start to burn after a bit though!

Rubadub - That sounds like a great plan. I know what you mean about car drivers. I had a camper van (RUV) nearly wipe me out. When it eventually got past me it was a female driver and the vehicle had 4 bikes on a rack on the back.

Phizzy - I am keeping a count of the pubs I pass on my bike. I think I am up to 9. Will start taking pics of them I think.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Cofty,

Yes....Allegheny, PA is where old Charlie started it all. Today that area across the Allegheny River from the city of Pittsburgh is called the North Side. That is where the baseball and football stadiums are located. And old Charlies pyramid is about 5 miles from there.

HappyDad

• mf6
    mf6

I seldom post. Been lurking since the beginning. I ride about 2,500 miles per year. I live in the Pacific NW region of the US.

Have done tours in the Republic of ireland, France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy and parts of the US.

If I knew how to post a picture I'd show my wife & I on our tandem.

MF6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit