A Thread for Cyclists - Where Do you Ride?

by cofty 67 Replies latest social physical

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

If you're looking to meet nice "worldly" people upon exiting JW world, cyclists are a great group. I've seen so much sharing and helping Since I joined a couple months ago. They are collectively low-key and always look out for one another. We had two flats on our Sunday morning ride and it was great to see the unselfish care among the group. It's also a relatively inexpensive activity to take up and you can find groups online that welcome anyone.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

@GreatTeacher- Yes you can go right up to the lighthouse and walk all the way round it but you cannot go inside unfortunately.

I live on a beautiful windswept rugged coastline, I am very lucky.

• jgnat
  • cofty
  • cofty
    cofty

Tonight instead of going east to Holy Island I headed west to the village of Norham which sits just south of the Scottish - English border.

It has been the site of many battles over the centuries. Here are a couple of pics of the castle I took this evening.

It was built in the 12th century and was besieged by Scottish armies 12 times - it fell on 9 of those occasions. If you have ever been to Edinburgh castle you will have seen a huge cannon called Mons Meg - have a look on google images if you haven't. In 1514 James IV of Scotland dragged Mons Meg all the way to Norham to attack Norham castle. It was the only time it was used in anger.

Tonights report - 20.5 miles in 1hr 27 minutes. Average speed 13.9mph. Loads of hill climbs as always but for once no wind!

Look there is my front wheel and shiney new stem.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

fantastic photos cofty. How nice to cycle in such lovely historic surroundings.

I mostly cycle to Lidl's (2 mile round trip).

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Ruby I am fortunate to live here surrounded by centuries of history. There is a 16th century ruin just a few yards from my front door. (I don't mean my car by the way)

LoisLane - thank you for your poem. I missed it when you first wrote it a few days ago...

I loved this line -

Past buildings bold and flaunted

Where people partied and sinned

I often look at old buildings like this and think about the people who lived there. The ordianry people doing ordinary things who are long gone.

Thanks.

• James Brown
    James Brown

You have very neat scenery, Cofty.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks I have 2 more castles to bring you soon....

• should have known better
    should have known better

Cycle tracks for me wherever possible. cofty you have a pm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit