How Many Prayed Out Loud whilst they were at a restaurant?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    My father never really did this, we would also say our own silent and discreet prayers, but I remember how awkward it was when another brother would do it. Seems like it was usually the same type of brother too, the one that always sat front and center at the Kingdom Hall.
  • schnell
    schnell

- "Ya know, it says to pray in your interior rooms, not out in the open for everyone to see you doing it."

- "What? Are you ASHAMED of your beliefs?!"

- "You must be fun at gatherings."

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Never, just bowed my head and pretended

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    just bowed my head and pretended

That's what I've started to do recently when I'm around my family.

• baker
    baker

Never take my in-spouce to non jw family gatherings, cause inevitably I get ask to say grace and I of course leave off Jehovah. I get lit into for 2 days cause I didn't use the name, so Now I just don't take her and boy is it peaceful.

• zeb
    zeb

Something about Pharisees praying on street corners to be seen by men... comes to mind.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Never. I always thought those that prayed out loud like that were simply attention seekers.

• blondie
    blondie

I hated when someone did that.

“You, however, when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.” (Matt. 6:6) Jesus’ admonition to pray in a private room after shutting the door did not mean that someone could not represent a congregation in prayer. This counsel was meant to discourage public prayer that was offered to call attention to the one praying and to elicit praise from others.

the verse before says

“Also, when you pray, do not act like the hypocrites,+ for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the main streets to be seen by men.+ Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

------------------Public prayers in a restaurant were just that to "call attention to the one praying and to elicit praise from others." "hypocrites , for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets to be seen by men."

I have heard jws say it is a witness to people in the restaurant...

I have also seem members of certain "devoted" Christian religions do the same thing with the same view. Once when a group of jws had just sat down at the restaurant, a non-jw Christian group held hands and one gave a prayer.. One brother commented, "their prayer won't be heard, they don't pray in Jesus' name and not to Jehovah the true God and for the wrong things." in a loud voice. I got up and went over and apologized for our group and left...it was my car I came in. Not a word from anyone in the group until the next meeting at the KH. I asked who appointed us to judge which prayers God listens to and to announce it to a roomful people and prejudice them against jws. I had discussed this already with the CO, who was appalled at what happened. It turned out that one of the couples added at the last minute was his sister's wife and husband and he had already heard the facts from them. They had left just after I did.

I found that elders/brothers don't like it when a sister doesn't humbly support their mistakes. But with the COs other source, they were toast. That was in the days the CO could do a little talk on his own. He discussed public prayers at restaurants and judging which prayers God listens to. I bet there are a few old jws who remember that talk in our area.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I remember the good missus and her friend talking about a sisters only night out at a pub restaurant. They started saying. What was 'so and so' like.. eh.

My wife's Freind who is really funny starts taking sister 'so an so' off. You know...Hands gracefully joining together, eyes slowly closing and then the quiet whispering of prayer. I just about bust my balls laughing, it was so funny 😂😂

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

UGH!! I remember this one brother I was dating, was trying real hard to be 'head of household' I guess, and when we went to dinner with my family and a bunch of friends after the meeting, this retard grabbed my hand, and offered to pray for (us) as a couple...and TOLD me to bow my head...in a restaurant...in front of everyone, and he prayed for (us) out loud.

Let's just say...I knew at THAT moment that he was not the one for me! - lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit