What's more to blame- the WT or the bible?

by keyser soze 27 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

If you look at the "father" (I.e., the Bible), it is small wonder the "son" is the way he is. Like father, like son.

• bobert
    bobert

Both are pretty to blame IMO. Good thing is we don't live by the mosaic law.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

The WT or the Bible? It is just a book the Bible, I respect it for the influence it has, but it is just words on paper. (Paper I would like to burn.) We should consider how the Bible came about who produced it, people like the ones running the WT. The Bible is just a tool, one that could be used for empowering us, but better suited for evil and destruction of mankind, the blame lies with those who produced it and continue to use it to inspire fear and control the masses. I don't know what caused such a thing to become the most popular book today, but I know that going forward the blame lies with us, mankind, if we continue to allow such a book and the cults using it to continue to dictate how we live.

May light shine on all my brothers and sisters trapped in the WT and under the influence of that Bible.

WIT?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Bible is a very dangerous book that originated to keep a people under control and in fear of Egypt and other outsiders. It was further used in similar ways when Christianity arose- they made it fit the book and added to the book.

The WT cannot exist without the Bible. Yes, there are non-Bible cults and Islam is the biggest of the terrible non-Bible beliefs. But even Islam bounces off of Abraham of the Bible.

Yes, both the Bible and the WTS involve presumptuous men invoking the name of an invisible being to, a)Command subservience from other humans, and b)Justify their own abhorrent beliefs and actions.

Much of Christianity outside of WTS is just as terrible. Mormons have their book, JW's have their translation, Protestants and Catholics have various versions. We would be better off in a world where the Bible never came to be, but then men would have written something else to use as their basis for hatred, slavery, womanizing, genocides, exclusions, etc.

You can call the Bible just a tool, but we don't give dangerous tools to just anyone.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

If the Bible was marketed as a work of fiction rather than the word of god, would people still be so rabid about it?

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

You are giving the Bible a bad rap. The Torah contained a lot of sound laws.

Like; not abusing animals for one. Protecting widows and orphans and helping the poor.

Trial by a jury of your peers, also Torah based. Contract Law. Property Rights. Judging

crimes according to permeditation or intent. Paying your workers on time. Letting the

poor glean your fields. The Bible is not an insignificanr contributor to what we all

consider to be a just society. The Cities of Refuge. Returning property and freeing

slaves at Jubillee and at periods of seven years service. The right to divorce.

Edicts against cruel and unusual punishment, no matter how crude they seem to

us, they were elements of a system trying to establish a just society.

I would have rather lived in ancient Israel than in modern day China,

or Pakistan.

• LegionSolo
    LegionSolo

The problem with the WT is changing the only bible JWs are allowed to use to fit their doctorine as they see fit.

I got so annoyed seeing social media posts every 5 seconds with the new Silver Bible.

Idol Worship Much?!.....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

VG: You are giving the Bible a bad rap. The Torah contained a lot of sound laws.

The Code of Hammurabi was written AT LEAST 300 years before the Torah. It contained some pretty good foundations for law.
    People were hammering out laws before the Bible came along and after it came along.

The author(s) of the Biblical law code most likely used the Code of Hammurabi as their starting point and then went too far and added in all the laws on worship and sacrifice to the god.

In my opinion, you give the Bible too much credit for it's influence in that area. I make the bold statement with confidence that no large group of people, including the Israelites, ever lived under the laws of the Torah. They were recorded after the time of King David and reflected on a past time when people supposedly lived by them, but they did not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit