Question for believers in the Bible/God

by not bitter 27 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

It is not surprising why people believe in a god and follow some spiritual book. It isn't that difficult to understand. People fear death. That is the simple explanation. If you take time to ponder on being Mortal it can be quite frightening. To KNOW you will die and it is forever is hard for many to accept. To accept means there is no justice and life is not fair. A belief in something more than a finite existence gives comfort to many.

The idea of seeing a child in another life after losing your child to a horrible disease, is more appealing than accepting that nature is both cruel and beautiful. Evolution is an important breakthrough in science with the transitional fossils being found to help answer our origins, but it doesn't answer the questions people have.

Why? and What? Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? In the science world these question are meaningless but to the average person they mean everything.

Then there are many who see how complicated life is and how so many things have to be in place for life to exist, and they just can't accept life is done without intelligence. Science can explain the transformation of life but the very beginning they still have not answered. The planet has only one Gensis and life is not spontaneous being created now. The study of abiogenesis is making great strives to answer these questions but scientists still have been unable to demonstrate life generation from non-living matter. Spiritual books answer these questions and offers simple explanations.

• cofty
    cofty

Spiritual books answer these questions and offers simple explanations.

Spiritual books answer these questions and offers simplistic explanations.

The latest progress in abiogenesis is very compelling.

The transistion from chemistry to biochemistry will be solved.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I submit that there is nothing simplistic about the ransom or the conception of Jesus of Nazareth.

• cofty
    cofty

there is nothing simplistic about the ransom

Capricious wrathful deity is propitiatd by the sight of a broken bleeding body on the cross, and promises not to damn everybody to hell for the crime of being born human.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The latest progress in abiogenesis is very compelling.- cofty

In a way that proves God does not exist?

Which university did this latest research? I would love to read a paper, that's if I understand it, lol!

The transistion from chemistry to biochemistry will be solved.-cofty

So the latest research still doesn't explain it. For me I don't think I would term it a solution, because I don't see it as a problem. But I am looking forward to an explaination, there are so many things that I have put on the shelf waiting for an answer to, it will be satisfying to get some answers. Then maybe I may stop clinging on to my belief in a Creator.

Kate xx

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Cofty.

No, how can the blood/life of a sinless human atone for the lives of billions of humans who are sinful?

I get the legalism, but not the mechanism.

• cofty
    cofty

In the same way the bloody sacrifice of a lamb substituted for the lives of a nation on the Day of Atonement.

Vicarious punishment propitiating the wrath of an angry god.

Its a horrible pagan notion.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I see it as something that had to be done to satisfy God's justice, not His bloodlust.

If He were really an angry, capricious Deity, the daily sacrifice (morning and evening) would have been human!

We are deserving of death, you know.

• Legacy
    Legacy

@ Adjusted Knowlegde,

You are so on point...humans are afraid of the unknown...the thought of never ever coming back is scarey....it can jolt you right out of your chair. Now what the bible could have done is, when certain folks were brought back to life, maybe one of the bible writers could've asked them...."What was it like being dead/sleep" Jesus could have even told us, he was resurrected & he could've told his disciples what is was like. He appeared to them. Now would humans be different, would folks kill themselves to find out, I don't know how this would have played out. Humans want answers to everything. That's why some folks are witnesses, because JW's have the answer for everything, be it right or wrong. Everybody wants to come back after death, every religion says we are, it's that they don't agree on what, & where....It's the unknown....& remain so, until somebody comes back to tell us.

Legacy

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

But I am looking forward to an explaination, there are so many things that I have put on the shelf waiting for an answer to, it will be satisfying to get some answers. Then maybe I may stop clinging on to my belief in a Creator.

A "God of the gaps" will always be possible until one day we know everything. I doubt you or I will live to see that. Even then, we won't probably know whether the universe was initiated by chance or by an intelligence that wanted things to turn out this way, or at least was performing an experiment or playing a very advanced version of The Sims/Spore. But if there isn't a God who interacts in our lives, does it really make a difference if we were created or not?

The big bang theory....put some wood together, add some other stuff that life needs, blow it up, would it be balanced or just a mess ?

A mess, because there's not enough gravity at that scale to pull everything together and ignite it through compression, like there was for the stars.

Evolution, if we came from apes, why aren't we still evolving from them, when was the last time anyone of us, came across someone who said, hey, just came out of the jungle, I use to be an ape.

Surely you know that individual organisms don't drastically change during their lifetime. Are you being ironic? We are still evolving away from apes, though. KateWild's example of wisdom teeth is a good one. Our ancestors' jaws were bigger, like the apes, back when we depended heavily on raw plants for food. Now with our varied and cooked diets, our bodies don't bother to grow such large jaws, but now they're too narrow to fit all these teeth.

Man just doesn't want to be accountable, to nothing or nobody. God is watching, so be good.

It's true that believing that God is watching can make people behave better, but it's not like people don't have consciences without the presence of God. Our consciences evolved to allow us to cooperate well together as a social species.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit