Question for believers in the Bible/God

by not bitter 27 Replies latest jw friends

• not bitter
    not bitter

My question basically is - Why believe?

Now as a non believer I find it hard to understand how anyone in their right mind can believe in the supernatural and more to the point, live their lives according to an old book. Not just Christians obviously.

My intention is not to offend people. But I am perplexed as to why. Why not live your life according to some other book or why a book at all.

I used to believe but that was purely down to being told that this is the truth and factual by my parents and all other adults around me from the age of 2. So I was brainwashed into believing everything a mere book said.

Now as an adult I have moved on from that and now I don't understand why humans believe in such stuff.

I Know I am simplifying this a little and I know the mind is a complex thing and everyone is different due to upbringing, experience and personality etc. so I expect a range of answers.

Please help me understand.

• Laika
    Laika

I don't believe in a book.

I believe I've experienced god, millions of people have testified to similar experiences. I considered that I might be deluded but couldn't convince myself this was so.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Why believe in the bible?

As a child you were told you were one of the lucky ones, and all you associated with were members, so no shame as membership was only opened to EMPLOYEES of the Watchtower Society.

My guess with different denominations its the same. And an elogent addition to believing was a way of life, friends, family, hope ect, ect, ect

• not bitter
    not bitter

I think I should have aimed my question at those who have left the JW faith but still believe in a God and/or a book

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Plenty of evidence out there to support the existence of the supernatural - thats why I believe.

I have not read the bible in ages but still believe in the existence of God.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

In my case it’s because of having seen and experienced certain things hard or impossible to explain without the explanative power of the idea of some kind of intelligence. The belief in my case comes from the idea that an intelligence seems the most reasonable explanation for them, albeit an incomplete kind of explanation as the how it works part is missing. Whatever this intelligence is I call God. I take holy books as a guide because I reject the needlessly cruel God idea. I do think the bible and other books represent a record of sorts of our ancestors interpretation, stories and experiences of the supernatural and in that sense I see it as valuable but not perfect, or the ultimate source of truth.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe in God because of what I can see, hear, smell, taste, feel.

I believe that Someone with benevolent intent set this process into motion.

I believe the Bible relays the Message, albeit garbled, of that Someone.

I believe the Day is coming when questions such as the ones you've propounded will be things of the past.

• Legacy
    Legacy

HI,

You can take away the bible, but folks will still believe in somethings...tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc. The bible is saying one thing....Love one another, watch out for one another...it's about humanity, instead of dominating one another we should take care of one another. Let's look at the original commandments, I think there were about 600 of them then God downsized it to 10, then we couldn't even do that, so he downsizedit again to two....Love him & love one another. That's the moral of the story....Be good, Love one another & Be Ready, if & when judgement day comes. The stories in the bible are lessons, as a matter of fact the bible is life lessons...the story of the good samaritan...just shows how folks are so holy & righteous, they see someone on the side of the road in need, what do they do, just go about their business...lesson in if you see some one in need, do something if you can. Jesus tells us not to judge one another & isn't that good, because if you judge someone, they have the right to judge you. If you are rich, can you extend your life? All the money in the world can't extend your life, oh sure, you get good medical help, but when it's your time, it's your time...look at Michael Jackson, he slept in oxygen tents, is he with us now...Since humans are self-centered...the bible helps us to come outside ourselves...

Again, the bible is just life lessons...OT is God warning folks & they had to face consequences...the NT is all about love...don't get stuck on the killings & negative stuff, those are stories, to make one think...the entire OT was God trying to get the knuckle head Jews to be thankful to God for taking them out of Egypt, he fed them, clothed them, performed all types of miracles to show then who he was & how much he loved them. Did they appreciate it no. What lesson is in that....never bite the hand that feeds you & they did. Many of the characters in the bible did bad things too. Manassa, made his kids go thru fire, Saul, jealous of David, kept running around trying to kill him why, for nothing. God gave Solomon everything, but Solomon wanted more, he started out on a good note, but God said, stay away from foreign women, did he ? No. David, saw a fine woman, got her hubby killed, Job was bellyaching because God allowed Satan to mess with him, not until someone told Job, ahhh, Job, did you make the earth ? We humans don't need to learn to lie or cheat or kill, we need to be taught not to do these things.

So, if the bible wasn't written, Man would believe in something else..

Legacy

• KateWild
    KateWild

I still believe in a Creator because of the scientific evidence I have seen, tells me that it is more probable an intelligent Creator is responsible than not. But my daughter is having problems with her wisdom teeth, why create them if we don't need them and they cause problems in many so they have to be removed?

God's way of the evolution process leaves some aspects just to evolve without intervention possibly.

Kate xx

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Us humans are only discovering what God created. He had to give us something to do. This is God's play pen & we kids are just playing with his toys of creation. We humans need something to keep us occupied, there is so much to discover....where the dino's come from, did they exist with man or before man, diamonds, lions, tigers & bears..oh my...The big bang theory....put some wood together, add some other stuff that life needs, blow it up, would it be balanced or just a mess ?

Evolution, if we came from apes, why aren't we still evolving from them, when was the last time anyone of us, came across someone who said, hey, just came out of the jungle, I use to be an ape. Man just doesn't want to be accountable, to nothing or nobody. God is watching, so be good. Didn't our parents tell us that, be good or Santa won't bring you any toys, be good & the tooth fairy will leave you some money under your pillow, be good in school so the teacher can give you a gold star....Everybody is telling us to be good so we can get a reward....God is telling us to be good so we can either go to heaven or paradise on earth....I don't which is true. Will humans be good if they were not rewarded ? I'm just asking....

Legacy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit