Misquote in the Creation Book

by ILoveTTATT 56 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you are going to look for misquotes in the Creation Book, it would be likened to looking for water in a lake. You will find plenty.

It might get you pretty upset, such glaring examples as the one you quote here.

When I first met AWAKENED AT GILEAD, he showed me a book that pointed out how some "worldly" publication quoted a Watchtower publication, but used the information in a negative way- "they say...." Then later, a Watchtower publication quoted that same "worldly" publication. The only problem was that it only quoted the exact portion that was a quote from the Watchtower stuff. It made it appear to give weight to the Watchtower thought because it wasn't just Watchtower saying this stuff.

I am just saying that you might not bother with all the quotes in a book. It's not like you can get your dad to listen.

• designs
    designs

99% of JWs never look up the source material.

• jgnat
    jgnat

First of all, too bad about your dad.

Second, great catch!

Third, it is not surprising that an agnostic would waffle. It kind of defines the position.

Finally, addressing OTWO's point, from my few discussions with I-L-TTATT, it is clear this is a very bright young man, who brings all of his intelligence to the question at hand. It was likely a foregone conclusion that he would find his way out of the WTBTS. What is so tragic is that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and his father is also very intelligent and in every other part of his life, logic and reason directs his way. I can understand TTATT's desire to put together an airtight argument that his father might stumble across one day.

Here is a young man who in every respect should make his parents proud. He has the intelligence of his father and the passion from his mother. He will do very well in life, yet his parents remain chained to an organization and an ideology that prevents them from giving their son all the pride, love and encouragement that is his due.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, AnnOMaly, I didn't realize that the Society even failed to use ellipses at times in omitting words from quotes.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Thank you Jgnat for the kind words!

And yes, OTWO, I know... I know... This labor is not really for me... it is for my dad (and I know others will benefit too!).

Although, on the other hand... it NEVER ceases to shock me the extent of lying that exists in the Watchtower publications. It's like they should really change their name to "The Big Lie".

"Oh, so how did you come into The Big Lie?"

"Oh someone studied the What does the Watchtower Teach Book with me and I knew it was the Lie right away!"

I really could care less if my dad believes in God, Jesus, evolution, the flying spaghetti monster, or whatever.... My point is not to make him believe in Evolution but the point is to SHOW THE LIE... I hope it shocks him the extent of the misquotes. And having them on PDF format, having the actual "picture" of the magazines or the quotes, is invaluable to me.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I put here again a link to a remarkable interview of "Bethel heavy " Harry Peloyan (now deceased ) by that wonderful ex poster on here, AlanF .

Peloyan can see no wrong in what they do - Is it not called "the Truth" ??

http://www.freeminds.org/history/peloyan.htm

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I have the full article (4 pages) if anyone is interested please PM me.

It was a hard article to find... the University had to go to its book repository, since that magazine was not digitized.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thanks for the link, BB. It seems that others have come to the same conclusion, that the Society would quote from creationist publications that had already taken the original writers out of context. I suppose the fact that the Society has almost never had to give their sources in a list of citations allowed them to be very sloppy with their research.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Thanks, BB:

Some real gems revealing WT methodology:

"Peloyan's overall attitude about using quotes in a way the original author would disagree with was that it did not matter. As long as the words were quoted properly, the author's intent was irrelevant"

"He immediately became defensive and, in effect, accused me of being critical because I was probably an evolutionist and therefore couldn't agree with anything the book said because of my prior prejudice." Followed by....

"The reply from the Society stated that they didn't see anything wrong with the quote, and besides, even if there were, it didn't matter anyway because the main point was that evolution isn't true."

"During this conversation Peloyan got a bit defensive about the Society's having said so much in the past about how near "the end" was. He said that for several reasons it is today so much clearer why "the end" could not have come earlier, but that it's now “very” near. He said that the recent advances in various technologies such as computers would allow society to be quickly rebuilt after Armageddon, and that even ten years ago this would not have been the case. I thought to myself how completely out of touch with reality the man is."

(I'm glad to know that Jehovah™ has delayed Armageddon simply because he needs human technology to be advanced enough for his own use in order to accomplish his will. Really? )

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Peloyan's advice to me personally was to just forget about the “Creation” book's problems and just focus on what the Society does right.

If only a JW being judged by a Judicial Committee could successfully use the same argument.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit