Misquote in the Creation Book

by ILoveTTATT 56 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

My dad came into the JW's because someone studied the "Creation" book with him. It pains me deeply that he sent me an e-mail recently saying that to keep the peace with my mom, he will stop communicating with me as much as possible. I should communicate with him only if I have an emergency.

It upsets me to no end, but I cannot do anything or much about it. Hassan told me (I made an appointment with him) that I should improve my life FIRST before trying to get my mom and dad out.

In any case, I am investigating every single quote in the Creation book and comparing it to what the original authors had to say.

Consider this one:

*** ce chap. 2 pp. 15-16 par. 6 Disagreements About Evolution—Why? ***

6 Paleontologist Niles Eldredge, a prominent evolutionist, said: “The doubt that has infiltrated the previous, smugly confident certitude of evolutionary biology’s last twenty years has inflamed passions.” He spoke of the “lack of total agreement even within the warring camps,” and added, “things really are in an uproar these days . . . Sometimes it seems as though there are as many variations on each [evolutionary] theme as there are individual biologists.”4

Here's the reference: 4. Natural History, “Evolutionary Housecleaning,” by Niles Eldredge, February 1982, pp. 78, 81.

Here's the last part of the quote, in full (I got the magazine from my University library):

• cofty
    cofty

Good catch. The intellectual dishonesty of the Watchtower is shocking.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Sorry about your dad, that sucks, but keep these misquotes coming.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I just got the book "The Enchanted Loom"... written by an Agnostic, it seems very ambiguous. Sometimes he is so pro-evolution, sometimes he seems to agree with Creation.

There are more than a few quotes from that book in the Creation book. Took a picture of the entire page of all the quoted pages.

• VM44
    VM44

The Creation book selectively quotes Niles Eldredge and then goes on to do what Eldredge is speaking against.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

That book is the most dishonest book they ever made.... read the great websites made that highlight the quote alterations, it is SHAMEFUL.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow, that is a great find!

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I am really confused as to Jastrow's book The Enchanted Loom. Will soon be posting pictures of that book, the Watchtower book quotes, and you can help me decipher it. It seems like he supports both views at the same time, or a mixture of them.

But I will do that later... going to watch a movie

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, that's about as dishonest as it gets. I wonder if the Society was quoting directly from his article, or came across that quote excerpted in some creationist publication. Perhaps the Society even read the whole passage and decided that disagreement over evolution was something they could crow about even if the writer then went on to say that creationists were taking the doubt out of context. Of course the disagreements Eldredge referred to are matters of detail, and they are not calling the whole theory of evolution into question. The Society's writer may not have understood that in his haste to find a quote to copy-paste for his own purposes.

Alternately, we could think of it this way. If you believe fervently that the godless evolutionists are holding to a flawed theory just to avoid having to believe in creationism, then it won't matter to you if a scientist says "No, it's okay, science is supposed to work like this." All the creationist can see through his filter is an admission that there are doubts, disagreements, or an "uproar", and anything additional that the scientist says to justify that is not trustworthy.

I'm just thinking out loud, in an attempt to understand how such blatant misrepresentation could come about.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

To clarify I have heard the same exact arguments fro the creation book in Kent Hovind's videos (which are comedy lol)

This means they used the same creationist source. The WT was using creationist propoganda when they made the creation book.

To top it off the editor who inserted comments (Franz?) was extremly uneducated because he felt natural selction = chance. Dawkins debunks this publication in his book "The God Delution"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit