What if you were a JW during WWII? Would you give in to Hitler and fight?

by Brother Mike 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

So I pose this question to everyone. if you were a JW and lived in Germany in WWII, how would you deal with the harsh cruelity of hitler? Would you join his side so you may have a chance to live (meaning you'd serve in the miliatry and be on the front line) or would you keep on serving God and be executed? id appreciate honest thoughts and not just, "oh I could survive that harm, it really wasn't anything major Or it doesn't matter cause I didn't have to go through it."

I was just wondering cause I was reading up on the Holocast

Thx.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi Bro Mike,

How are you doing?

It's nice to see you reading up on the Holocaust. Get as much general knowledge and education as you can, it's all very valuable. Personally, I would rather die than be forced to participate in a facist regime. I would also try and escape and fight back as far as possible. My grandparents escaped the concentration camps. Besides as I have a Jewish past Hitler would never let me renounce my faith to serve him.

Kate xx

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I try never to judge people of history by today's point of view; as in slave-owners or people who fought for-or-against something we are against-or-for today.

I cannot fairly judge JW's that did not fight for Germany nor those that did fight. People had tremendous pressure on them.

Even today, soldiers return to the U.S. from Iraq and Afghanistan. Many Americans think the wars are wrong. But am I right to judge the soldier by what I believe about the cause? He doesn't feel that way, the issues are different to him.

Anyway, having said that- I figure that I would have gone to prison camp as a JW in that time. I hope that the needless slaughter of innocent women and children might drag me to reality and that I would turn against JWism, but still not join in the war.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've pondered this since preschool. My mom must have told me about the Witnesses in Germany. Part of it is the moment in history. When I was a teenager, I realized that I was reading too much concentration camp material. There were a few survivors in my neighborhood. Of course, I wanted to work for the Resistance. During college and law school, my profs. would have us consider what we would do if a coup d'etat happened in this country. We studied lawyers who had to make a decision in other lands. Anne Frank was proof that it would not be easy.

I feel I would commit terrrorist acts if I had communication channels. The early sixties training might come in handy.

You never know until you face the situation. Some of the heroes against the Nazis had no intention of fighting them. An impulse came over them, surprising the person.

After 9/11 and the ruins of my life, I can fight in combat, too. I am not too happy about that strand of thought. If I think too much about that day, I get urges to just take a bus or subway and go to Afghanistan and hunt them down. I don't know how the Brits survived the tension of WWII.

When I read WWII histories/biographies, people shocked themselves.

• designs
    designs

Smithsonian had a very well done documentary on WWII. A portion was on the Concentration Camps. JWs were mentioned as part of the others besides Jews who were sent to the camps.

One of my uncles was a JW during WWII and was sent to the Forestry Camps in Oregon to work during the War. Have a lot of great pics that were taken at the Camp.

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

I'm doing better then the last time some of you heard from me last. My life is a little more under control. Thx for asking Kate :)

• factfinder
    factfinder

Being I am Jewish I would not have been given a choice. I would have fought against the nazis and tried to escape and tried to help others escape.

• jam
    jam

I would have been laugh at by the SS if I had volunteered to fight

for Hitler (I'm black) , although there were blacks in Germany doing

that time. Jesse Owens (Olympic runner--1940's) made sure of that.

The mind set of a obedient JW, I would have went to prison. Why I know

that, we were told to leave a country and return to the US because of

the danger of war. We remain (wife six month pregnant and two children),

we needed to preach and pass out the latest WT and Awake.

WTH, I was out of my mind...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

i think I would have given in fought

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

good question,

I believe at that time, many were swept up into a mental perspective that seemed right to them despite it being so immoral to the rest of the world. As exJW's we can appreciate that more than most......praying for the destruction of mankind for our little plot of land and good health.

It is comparable also to the invasion of Iraq, or prehaps vietnam. Hitlers acts against the jewish people and alike were atrocious, but neither was napalm or precision bombings of civilians in vietnam/iraq ...moral. Over a million covillians died in the Iraq war, I am sure history will see it as a personal war for bush, a war for oil, for money. How easy was it inn America to say that at the time! How easy to say 'no' as a soldier?

Bradley Manning showed us the horrors of the iraq war and will serve a life in prison for it.

As humankind progresses in morals and wisdom, we can hooe such occurences reduce. But it is far too easy to judge with heindsight, be it germans in WW2 or Americans in Baghdad....

More than likely we would have trumpeted the german politics of the time and joined the army with pride as most did, we all like to think we would be the one that said no, but statistics show that we likely would not have been.

Also as for the JW's the Watchtowers letter to Hitler entitled 'The decleration of facts' makes clear they SUPPORTED what he was doing and did not like the 'commercial jews'. It is a shameful read. The big issue with Watchtower was that they couldnt have their followers taking instruction from someone else, be it hitler or Churchill or Eisenhower. It was about loyalty not ideolagy, Rutherford was a supporter of German Nazi politics.

Snare x

I appreciate they dont all compare exactly and that some will feel I am wrong. I am just saying there are similarities to the mindset of going to war for the wrong reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit